Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No key..how to unlock steering column?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aircooledfool
How can you unlock the steering column when you don't have a key? Thanks for the input.
orange914
happy11.gif
Click to view attachment
markb
Use the link in my sig & take out the ignition switch. You can then turn it with a screwdriver.
Aircooledfool
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 18 2008, 01:36 AM) *

Use the link in my sig & take out the ignition switch. You can then turn it with a screwdriver.

Thanks Mark, I'll give that a try. Do you re-key as a fee based service? I need a set of keys to fit all the locks in the car...a Bumble Bee shades.gif
markb
Take either your passenger door handle, or the rear trunk lock to a locksmith and have him make a key. Then try it in all the locks. If it works them all, you're good. If not, you have a brand new key to work with in re-keying. I do re-keying, but it isn't hard to learn to do. You need a good key first.
VaccaRabite
A foot of det-cord and a good quality fuse.

Problem solved.

Zach
rhodyguy
the easy way. open yellow pages. call mobile locksmith. explain the situation. the locksmith should be able to read the ignition tumblers with a soft blank. they read the indentations on the blank matching it up to the coding in the secret book. cut new key. will prob run the better part of a c-note.

the hard way. hope all tumblers/locks are the same in the car. tear colum apart. remove the switch. drive to locksmith. leave ignition. they will do the same blank proceedure. wait for phone call notifying you the task been completed. drive back to locksmith to get switch. drive home. install switch. hope the key works and the car starts. will prob still cost the better part of a c-note.

k
TravisNeff
Even easier, get a key blank, take off your passenger door handle and take them to a locksmith, they'll be able to make you a new key.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.