Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing Gauge Lenses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AvalonFal
I'm replacing the plastic fuel/tach/speedo lenses on my '74. Any thoughts on whether to go glass or stay with plastic?? Also, anybody on the board selling new replacements??

Paul
PeeGreen 914
glass will look better. I did a friends 911 gauges and they look great. You just need to have access to someone who can cut the glass. My best friends dad is a stained glass artist and does it for me. I can ask him how much if you would like.
Mikey914
You want glass. Any glass shop can cut these for you.
Dr Evil
Glass! Plastic is just wrong barf.gif
AvalonFal
Any special type of glass??

Paul
Dr Evil
I usually just end up raiding some glass form some old crappy gauges since the glass tends to survive quite well.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Aug 17 2008, 10:11 PM) *

Any special type of glass??

Paul

Privacy? biggrin.gif
Bartlett 914
Is the glass flat? I thought they were dome shaped. Anyone can cut a circle in glass. That is easy. I would also like to replace mine.
AvalonFal
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Aug 18 2008, 05:59 PM) *

Is the glass flat? I thought they were dome shaped. Anyone can cut a circle in glass. That is easy. I would also like to replace mine.

The plastic ones I took out were flat and about 1/8" thick.

Paul
Dr Evil
Flat smile.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 18 2008, 03:03 PM) *

Flat smile.gif

That is good and makes it easier. What about Lexan? I also read about a plastic called optium. This is a museum grade plastic and expensive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.