Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTF: Red flag a t Daytona
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Got up early 4:00 AM to watch Daytona 24hrs. They have the red flag out for rain. Guess I'll have to hang out here, cept no ones up. I'm the only nut at the computer very early on a Sunday morning. I know I can't get back to sleep. Sh*t

Dave
URY914
I was at the 12 hous of Sebring one year and they red flaged it 'cause of rain. the front stright had 6" puddles that won't drain.

Those high banks must be fun in the wet.

Paul
DNHunt
Ya, I sound like a crybaby but I'm sure it's for the best. They don't need any wrecks and drivers hurt.
URY914
Water must have gotten in their server 'cause the Grand Am website is ...s... l... o... w.

Paul
Air_Cooled_Nut
I could've sworn I saw windshield wipers on those cars... <_<
eresener
Guys,
they red flagged the race because the rain water was going to be piped to the left coast and it was to be recycled into carwash water....in Palo Alto I think...
sawzall-smiley.gif the Doctor is in....
URY914
OMG...SAVE THAT WATER!!! laugh.gif
Rich Bontempi
Having driven Daytona, in the rain, it's not a pretty picture. The high banking and the transitions to the infield section is fairly dangerous. Better they wait until it's at least fairly dry!
URY914
Who was driving the #2 car when leading with 8 minutes to go, it spun and couldn't restart?

I don't have SpeedChannel. mad.gif

Paul
krk
was that the citgo car? if so, it was stewart. And the spin was induced by the left rear suspension coming off the car.

kim.
Joe Ricard
Damn NASCAR driver? When I had the raceon this morning Dale Jr. was driving and comfortably in the lead by a lap. I knew I shoulda stayed in to see the finish.
But I had to put the 55 bar bias brake valves in the 928. Results are promising, Like putting a "T" in a Teener. Got Euro "S" brakes in the big car now.

Starting to get antsy to get my 70 914. mueba.gif
cha914
Crazy crazy race...rain sucked...Starting about 12am, they threw out the yellow because the track was so wet, ran under yellow for about 3hrs, and then about 4am called it quits because there was about 1" of standing water on the infield, plus, aparently nobody ordered enough rain tires, so all the teams were running on old rain tires at this point. Although they started up again around 10am, and we got a good couple of hours in before the end of the race.

Stewart was driving when he had to pit three times in a row, started out as a tire problem, then th whole right rear suspension collapsed, finally the team decided to just see if he could putt around the track for the last 30min. Every time by he was practicaly on 3 wheels (carrying the front left due to the sagging rear) and every corner he hit the brakes in he was locking up the left rear. Finally with 18min to go I think a control arm on the left rear gave out and the car spun into a wall...Personally I think it was more Jr.'s doing as he had spun the car several times during the race, but I didn't feel sorry for them as Stewart was an ass to us in the pits earlier in the week.

Anyway, it was a great time even with the stoppage, and I can't wait to go again next year, hopefully it will be a warm one...I will post some pics later today...we had an awsome setup.

Tony
maf914
Tony,

Glad you guys made it. Where did you park the RV?

I was there, but will admit I didn't spend a lot of time at the track Saturday and Sunday with the constant rain that fell from about two hours into the race. At least Friday was a good full day without rain.

From what I could tell on my Speedvision tape, it appears the left rear center lock nut came off Stewart's car letting the wheel come off and lodging sideways in the wheel well. You could see the nut fall away just before the wheel lets go.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.