Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber Air Filters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FlatSix
Can you please help identify these air filters?

As you can see from the pictures, I need to replace the actual filters but don't know what to ask for. confused24.gif
FlatSix
Another picture
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(FlatSix @ Feb 1 2004, 08:40 AM)
...I need to replace the actual filters but don't know what to ask for.

a time machine ?

sorry - i've used those filters, but i haven't seen them in almost 30 years. if you were in the southwest US i'd suggest contacting some of the offroad places to see if anybody still makes a big-enough around foam air filter element.

but that type of filter has pretty much fallen from favor with the march of time and technology. probably time to consider an upgrade -- K&N's are the popular alternatives if you want to retain the dual cleaner types.
Downunderman
Is it a Pipercross?
J P Stein
Since you're in the UK, look at ITG. They are in the UK and their filters are similar to those, but a more modern design.
Eric_Shea
I have the exact same filters and I was going to ask the exact same question.

I also have an extra set of Watersheds -but- I wanted to run those on the GT cause... I thought they looked more period wacko.gif (silly me)

I'll look into the Off-Road shops and see what they say. I'll let you know if I find anything here. If'n I find some I think the shipping to the UK would be around $7.50
Joe Bob
Look like Filtrons....don't think they make them no more...
TheCabinetmaker
I think you can find a similar product at a tractor supply.
Qarl
Will a standard K&N fit in there? You could but foam surrounds on the outside...

Otherwise, replace them with...

http://www.itgairfilters.com/megaflow_jc90.asp
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 1 2004, 04:25 PM)
Look like Filtrons....don't think they make them no more...

that's the name i was trying to remember ...
Eric_Shea
Will a standard K&N fit in there?

nope... just a hair too big.
FlatSix
Thanks guys.

I've looked at the ITG filters but there doesn't seem to be any protection from rain water. Not that I drive it in the rain, but it does get washed (not illegal in England!).

Eric - Thanks for the info on the K&N's being too big. I was tempted to purchase some of their filters, you've saved me some money/trouble. Let me know how you get on with your search of the off road shops.
Kargeek
Yes, I believe they are Filtrons, I have the two barrel versions on my car. They have the foam outer eliments stretched over a mesh screen so, I found some foam pre filters for K&N's and such and used them.
Eric_Shea
Where did you find the pre-foam filters?
I cant tell from looking at them, but I just replaced my odd sized K/N's a few months ago. I called a few places, the cheapest turned out to be summit racing supplies, all you need to do is to measure the filters, outer length and width and inner length and width and then call them and they will see if they have the right size. If the closest size they have is a little off, you can measure the covers and base's for the filters to see if what they have will fit.
-Adam
Kargeek
I found them at a local VW parts supply- they are no longer in biz. I checked CB performance:CB Link

Maybe do a web search for foam air filters or pre filters. Mine have a printed logo on them and If I get down to shop this week I'll check it out and post.

Dave
zehrschnell914
Wow Dave, nice engine compartment! It looks like you've found a new use for your toothbrush. aktion035.gif
Eric_Shea
Called CB's... Nada. Called Summit... Nada sad.gif
Kargeek
Here's a lead... This company will produce custom sizes in a number of colors. I will dig up what brand I have later...Outerwears pre filters
Worth a try!, Dave
J P Stein
I just got some ITGs from UPS.

Not as pretty as the Wolferts....but lighter laugh.gif

I gotta open the trunk lid to get em' on.

Prolly have to take some pics .....just to keep "things" up to date. rolleyes.gif
Van914
Motormeister has these listed on ebay in various colors.
Good Luck

Van914

Air Filters
Van914
Lets try that link again

Foam Air Filters

If the link does not work it is item #2458079006
campbellcj
Yep JP the passenger side ITG is a snug fit and kinda tucks under the trunk lid. I might notch mine to get on/off a little easier.

I'm also going to a quick-release engine lid setup. The effin thing has smacked me in the head one too many times. And it will be a lot lighter without the torsion bars and extra bracing pieces.
J P Stein
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 3 2004, 10:12 PM)

I'm also going to a quick-release engine lid setup. The effin thing has smacked me in the head one too many times. And it will be a lot lighter without the torsion bars and extra bracing pieces.

No shit laugh.gif
All that latch/cable/torsion bar BS is long gone on mine...dzus fasteners hold the lid down.

I had to "upset" the rear bulkhead a tad to get my last air cleaners to fit. The ITGs fit right in there.....cept without opening the trunk lid, there's
no way to get these new ones on.....well, I could notch the trunk lid.....that would look cool wacko.gif
FlatSix
Van914, Thanks for that link.

I like the look of those filters. They may well fit the assemblies I have.

Picture:
FlatSix
Another
FlatSix
Even if the filters are slightly too large, there looks to be enough width in the foam to look OK.

Maybe I'll make a call into Downey, wherever that is, on my trip.

Time for another search on the maps!
seanery
I contacted Motor Meister about the complete assembly.
The ebay item is for the filters only.

The complete assembly is $149.95.
Brad Roberts
Yeah, the ITG's stick up a little..LOL (we had to cut the engine lid so BOTH cleared. Looks cool with them above the engine lid and trunk lid.

B
J P Stein
The IDTs don't stick up above the trunk lid on mine.....they're maybe 3/4 inch below. I just need the lid open to get them installed. Dunno if I have to notch the engine lid as yet....we'll know this weekend.Doan worry me none, I gots some awesome tools. laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
Got a reply back from "Outerwears" (I'm still not sure what those are... I think it's just a cloth cover). I spec'd the ones we have Andy...

Thank you for your interest in Outerwear Pre-filters. The price on that pre-filter is $20.85 each.  If you’d like to place an order, please call me at 269-679-3301.

Thanks again

Rosemarie A. Dobbs
Aaron Cox
pre filters are like window screen ( alittle finer tho) designed for buggies and offfroad vehicles.
campbellcj
B's pic from the tubeframe car is a taller ITG model, not the one "normally" sold for the triple-choke Webers.

JP I was talking about notching the plastic frame and maybe a little foam on the FILTER not the trunk lid chair.gif
Eric_Shea
pre filters are like window screen ( alittle finer tho) designed for buggies and offfroad vehicles.

Well now... that won't work will it... sad.gif
Kargeek
Stopped by the shop...the brand of foam outer covers for my Old School Filtron's are Uni Filter's Uni Filter

scroll down to "Automotive Foam Filter Wraps For Oval Filters"

Dave
Aaron Cox
DUH! i have a foamy unifilter on my goped! LOL
Eric_Shea
scroll down to "Automotive Foam Filter Wraps For Oval Filters"

ohmy.gif encouraging... however, the size isn't listed (5 1/2" x 11" x 3 1/2"). I'll bet they have them... wink.gif

I'll give them a buzz. Andy, they're down in Fullerton. If you're going that way pick me up a pair and I'll get them from you at the Hooooooooooooooooooters event. chowtime.gif beerchug.gif icon8.gif barf.gif

E.
FlatSix
Eric,

I'll be passing that way. Just give me the OK, and I'll get you a pair.

So, these foam filters. Will they just go over the metal gauze in place of the existing foam? If so, that seems the easiest (and cheapest!) option.

I'm also thinking of calling in at Downey to see the Motor Meister.

I have a template of the assembly cover with me.

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.