Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noise from Rear Axle/Wheel Hub?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I have my car up on jack stands after fixing my motor issues and connecting the axle there is a horrible noise coming from the drivers side wheel hub. I noted the wheel does not look like it is rotating right (brake rotor not concentric) but what should I look for - wheel bearing, axle, CV joint, etc? The noise is terrible and gets louder as the RPM's increase. HELP!
Wilhelm
If the brake disc is not rotating concentrically then most likely the bearing is dead. Sometimes the rear bearing get killed if car is rolled around without the axle stub in. The axle stub and it's nut serve to compress the two halves of the inner bearing race. Without the stub axle in, the bearing races split and can spit out some ball bearings leading to this problem. Loosen the axle bearing, jack up the car, take off the brake disc, pull out the axle stub. Now rotate the axle flange. If it grinds, your bearing is toast. Not much else would make your brake disc rotate eccentrically.
vesnyder
OK - I pulled (or should I say pushed) out the axle stub and no grinding. Does anybody have a good drawing of the assembly of the axle and/or hub? I thought I would be pulling off the wheel flange instead of pushing the axle stub?? Not sure what to do next?
r_towle
remove brake caliper
remove rotor.
Ideally you can do this on the car...but its alot easier to just remove the trailing arm and bring it to the machinist.
Have him press out the bearing and press a new one in...

simple and fast.
There are homemade tools that you could fabricate, but its really faster to bring it to a shop with a press.

Rich
yeahmag
You have to have the car aligned after removing the trailing arm... (one reason to fight with it on the car).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.