Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear trailing arm replacement...Issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rhatt
HELP!!!!! I am restoring my 1971 914 and I have been working on the rear trailing arms... I was able to get 3 of the 6attachment bolts out without breaking them, but there were three more that broke off...So my question is what is the best way to get these broken bolts out???... I am really trying to get this back to a rolling chasis before the snow flies....so ANY one who has done this please pontificate on the manner I can get these broken bolts out????
Any help would be greatly appreciated

914 Rhatt unsure.gif
r_towle
Go to a decent hardware store and buy several cobalt drill bits.
The bolts are hardened steel...they will kill most bits.

I started with an 1/8 inch bit and several brass bushings nested together to keep the bit centered.
Start with the 1/8 inch bit and work up to the bit just shy of the threads..I forget what it is..
Then tap the threads out.

Rich
914rhatt
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 18 2008, 10:43 PM) *

Go to a decent hardware store and buy several cobalt drill bits.
The bolts are hardened steel...they will kill most bits.

I started with an 1/8 inch bit and several brass bushings nested together to keep the bit centered.
Start with the 1/8 inch bit and work up to the bit just shy of the threads..I forget what it is..
Then tap the threads out.

Rich

Great...I am going to Carsen City this weekend, so I will stop in at a hardware store and pick up afew of the 1/8 inch bits...Thanksfor the help /914 rhatt
r_towle
1/8, 3/16, 1,4, all the way up to the proper one for the tap.
I forget the size off the top of my head...
I keep tham all in a box for the next time I need them....

It can be done, just be patient.

Rich
914rhatt
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 18 2008, 11:02 PM) *

Rich

Cool I will get it done, I live out here in the middle of no where we don't have much out here, it is 4hours to the nearset good hardware store...LOLOL I would have never thought I would live here in the middle of no where....Thanks for your help
Wilhelm
QUOTE(914rhatt @ Aug 18 2008, 11:21 PM) *

Rich

Cool I will get it done, I live out here in the middle of no where we don't have much out here, it is 4hours to the nearset good hardware store...LOLOL I would have never thought I would live here in the middle of no where....Thanks for your help

Enco is a mail order machine supply place in Nevada. The ship quickly and are more likely to have what you need than run of the mill hardware stores. I get delivery in Oregon by regular ups in 3-4 days. They also have metric taps and bolts.

Their website is use-enco.com

Here is a link to cobalt bits: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=...;PARTPG=INLMK32
914rhatt
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Aug 18 2008, 11:35 PM) *

QUOTE(914rhatt @ Aug 18 2008, 11:21 PM) *

Rich

Enco is a mail order machine supply place in Nevada. The ship quickly and are more likely to have what you need than run of the mill hardware stores. I get delivery in Oregon by regular ups in 3-4 days. They also have metric taps and bolts.

Their website is use-enco.com

Here is a link to cobalt bits: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=...;PARTPG=INLMK32

THanks I will take a look and see if I can get these ordered.....
sean_v8_914
yup, what Rich said. there are plastic plugs covering the threaded holes. you can squirt some penetrating oil in teh threads from teh back side. if it is really stubborn, heat it up till it smokes (about 2 songs on teh radio, time wise that is)

dont be in a hurry. drill it straight. be careful, drill is centered
914rhatt
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Aug 18 2008, 11:50 PM) *

yup, what Rich said. there are plastic plugs covering the threaded holes. you can squirt some penetrating oil in teh threads from teh back side. if it is really stubborn, heat it up till it smokes (about 2 songs on teh radio, time wise that is)

dont be in a hurry. drill it straight. be careful, drill is centered

Thanks...so the plasic plugs can be taken off? and I can spray penetrating oil into the holes...great...Thanks
rhodyguy
in case you don't know, not WD40. pbblaster, aerokroil, etc. fill up the holes (twice if the penetrant flows thru) and let it work over night.

k
914rhatt
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 19 2008, 06:38 AM) *

in case you don't know, not WD40. pbblaster, aerokroil, etc. fill up the holes (twice if the penetrant flows thru) and let it work over night.

k

I have not used WD40 for years....penetrating oil is just that WD40 is not it...LOLOLOL THanks
KELTY360
Can't be said enough times:

Be patient.

Be very careful that you get the drill bit centered on the bolt.

Did I say be patient.

Go slow and good luck.
914rhatt
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 19 2008, 10:27 PM) *

Can't be said enough times:

Be patient.

Be very careful that you get the drill bit centered on the bolt.

Did I say be patient.

Go slow and good luck.

That is one thing I can do ....patient...it has been 18 years since I stopped driving it (Kids and all) no room for four boys in the girl....So I will be going really slow...THanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.