Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gemini 914/6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
This car looks very nice but I thought all early 914's had white headlight buckets?

914/6 ebay
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Feb 1 2004, 11:43 AM)
This car looks very nice but I thought all early 914's had white headlight buckets?

all /6's were 'early' cars but as /6's go, '71 is pretty late.

all the headlight surrounds i've seen on /6's have been white, but it looked stupid on the dark cars and even thern, we knew about spray paint ...
Chris H.
Nice ! I love Gemini Blue. And it's a '71! Looks like a very complete, well documented car.
ArtechnikA
reading the VIN and the text reveals that it's a '70 that spent so much time on the new-car lot it wasn't sold (and titled, so they say...) until '71.

izzat the way it works in CA?
echocanyons
Any guesses on the reserve?

I would say 16000
seanery
Isn't that the same dealer that had the yellow one a couple weeks ago? Pretty sure it is.
Chris H.
QUOTE(seanery @ Feb 1 2004, 01:58 PM)
Isn't that the same dealer that had the yellow one a couple weeks ago? Pretty sure it is.

I thought I recognized that name...
Porsche Rescue
If the car could be had for $16,000 it would have been sold before listing on Ebay. I bet the reserve is more than $20K.
vortrex
$16K??? where do I write the check to? reserve will be $25k I imagine. I think this is actually the same blue six that was on ebay twice before, listed by the owner who I believe was in monrovia, ca?

keep in mind this is now being sold by the same place that had the very nice yellow 2.7 six a few weeks ago that did not meet reserve.
echocanyons
I realize its in good condition and original but do these really start around 20K?

jeez Ill never have one in my garage at that price sad.gif
vortrex
no they don't start at $20k, but this car looks hardly in "good" condition. I would be tempted to call this one mint.
Porsche Rescue
I think a six that is in one piece, not very rusty, and drives will always go for at least $10k. A very nice driver that needs little or nothing is $15. A "parade" quality car is $20 and true show quality is at least $25.
JmuRiz
Nice looking car, but this line has me laughing "Speedometer with 150mph dial is a necessary item on this Über-Porsche" lol3.gif Didn't the 914/6 have a top speed of 125 anyway?
Love the gasburners it has, that'll probably add $5k to the price rolleyes.gif

BTW all 914s had white headlight surrounds until 1974, as far as I know. My '73 had whites and I believe it to be the last year.
vortrex
hmm, my '73 had black ones and seemed to be a fairly original and untampered with car.
GWN7
My 71 is/was Gemini Blue (and will be again someday). It has grey surrounds.
JeffBowlsby
Grey = faded white I am pretty sure. There never was a grey. 73 and earlier cars - White, 74 and later cars - black.

Also as gorgeous as this 'Gemini' car is, it sure looks different on the photos form Carl Cilkers car, that many of us have seen in the flesh. Carls is a warmer blue than this one. Maybe its just the lighting?

Carls car is also on this page:

http://homepage.mac.com/markd/914/colors.html
Joe Bob
I'm pretty sure this car was at Dunkel's......

As to top speed? Who cares, this a garage queen that will never do triple digits. Rolling off thetrailer at some whine and cheeze it part is the best it will do.....

The thing is only 100hp at it's best anyways. A well sorted out 2.0/4 will kick it's butt.
McMark
As I mentioned in the other thread. I don't think this car is Gemini Blue, I think it's Blue Metallic. I'm going to add it to the colors page.
redshift
I think it's just a bad color match of Gemini, which is about 3 shades lighter, but darker than Marathon.

He has the code.

M
vortrex
it's blue metallic which was the $95 option for 914-6's.

the old 914 club site is now gone, but it had a chart with this info. the color codes were also totally different than the other colors.
Rgreen914
Bowlsby

Sorry, but our '73 was purchased new (by my wife), and it came with black headlilght surrounds.
JmuRiz
Intellesting...maybe it was an early vs. late 1973 car thing. Mine is an early 1973 car. I always thought it was 1974 and later had the blacks as well. Maybe some of the late 1973 cars had the change as well.
markb
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Feb 1 2004, 10:25 PM)
As I mentioned in the other thread. I don't think this car is Gemini Blue, I think it's Blue Metallic.

agree.gif
Kargeek
This car was at Dunkels last Sunday and a few weeks ago it was on Ebay. My buddy Rob Johnson went and looked at the car, offered 15K but, the seller wanted 17. The guy at Dunkles told us he bought the car and dumped 5K in resealing the engine, bla, bla bla and at the event he had a sell price on it listed of 27K. The car is nice though... DH
vortrex
$17k is a deal, $27k is insane.
SP9146
A friend was at Dunkle's and got a flier on the Blue sixer. Asking price is $27,500. Supposed to be original paint. Owner did a color sand on it and then applied a top coat of clear. Not exactly original paint and if that blue color is a metallic I'm not sure how it would hold up to color sanding.

Still a terrific example.

Pete
'70 914-6
JeffBowlsby
Intellesting...maybe it was an early vs. late 1973 car thing. Mine is an early 1973 car. I always thought it was 1974 and later had the blacks as well. Maybe some of the late 1973 cars had the change as well.

I think you may be right. All the published sources say that the change to black headlight surrounds occurred with the 1974 model year, but it could have happened justv before that.

One of my cars is an August-1973 built 1974 model, VIN 1465 of the 74 model year, and it has black surrounds. This same car also has several details specific to the 1973 cars - metal emblems, silver center gauges, the early oil temp gauge etc. The factory line just installed whatever they had in the parts bin that day...
seanery
that is very consistent to how 356's were built.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Feb 3 2004, 12:04 PM)
All the published sources say that the change to black headlight surrounds occurred with the 1974 model year...

not disputing a bit of that ...

but that was 30 years ago. plenty of time for someone with a dark car to update the surrounds to black.

and even in 1975 (i know this will shock some of you) we had heard of rattle-can flat black spray paint ...
Carl
I think Gemini Blue has more grey in it.
Carl
Well, since the server doesn't want me to post a picture of it, try the link. The blue car is Gemini.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...fun%20run&st=40
Porsche Rescue
It is also beautiful.
The car for sale is Metallic Blue. The seller gave the correct code (84) for M. Blue but used the wrong name.
mightyohm
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Feb 3 2004, 12:11 PM)

and even in 1975 (i know this will shock some of you) we had heard of rattle-can flat black spray paint ...

lol3.gif
Kargeek
Headlight surrounds...How about body color- but that would not be concours proper!
Porsche Rescue
Guess they're not CW pure, but they sure look good on that car.
On the other hand, mine are only up at night when nobody can see 'em.
JeffBowlsby
Ok mr. Geek...

Show us more details of your headlight nwashers. We ewanna see all of the system, pump, tank, piuping, heads, dash controls.

Those are too cool...

PLeezzzzzzzz??? wink.gif
SP9146
I bet it ends up where the yellow 914-6 ended 3 weeks or so ago, $21K ish. Also bet it doesn't meet reserve. Car looks like it's worth $25K easy.
mikester
I think Joe (KaptKaos) and I saw that car at pomona last august.

If it is the car, it is a very nice looking car - as nice as the pictures show. It also had the original sale/options ticket in the window which did list it as a metallic blue option for $95.

Like I said, very nice car.

w00t.gif
Aaron Cox
what spolier iis that kargeek? me like! yeah i thought headlight washers were a 75-76 thing only?
Kargeek
Re: The spoiler and headlight washers on my car... Spoiler is an old fiberglass version "flex dam" that I modified with glassed on fender lips on its ends to match the fenders, cut down lower rubber piece riveted to the spoiler with a strip of aluminum backing behind the rubber. The headlight washers – even early ones -are factory- they were required in parts of Europe. I found them and the bumper top in Gary Emorys old stash of NOS parts. There is a crescent shaped tank that fits in front of the spare tire well with a pump, wiring and a rectangular switch that fit in the dash. I don't have these parts on my car- I could kick myself as there was a guy back east in the 80's named Jim Lapossa who had his own stash of NOS parts who had them along with the bumper pad and nozzles and I passed on his asking price. I should have bought them. Hindsight is 20/20! Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.