Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: spindle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlestep
I am installing an entire front suspension from a 72 911 on the 74 914. I would like to check things out while I am preparing it for my 74 914. Does anyone know the nominal angle between the spindle and the strut centerline? I don't want to have to run with 2 to 3 degrees of chamber if it incorrect. I haven't installed it yet, it's on the floor in front of the vehicle disassembled.
tks ahead of time for any info on this.
Dave

Click to view attachment
ArtechnikA
Lemme check my 911 Haynes and factory workshop manuals when I'm home in an hr or so...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(dlestep @ Aug 19 2008, 05:59 PM) *

...Does anyone know the nominal angle between the spindle and the strut centerline? I don't want to have to run with 2 to 3 degrees of chamber if it incorrect.

The Haynes is useless - they tell you 'take it to the dealer but if it hasn't been in a crash it'll be OK.

The Official Porsche 911 Factory Workshop Manual says "assemble the strut into special tool P.286" - after which you verify that it's OK in toe and camber.

So - *somebody* probably knows what a new strut uses for a kingpin inclination angle, but it is not specified per se in the WSM.

However - figure toe is (essentially) infinitely adjustable which leaves you with camber, which is (relatively) hugely adjustable for a street car. (Race guys keep looking for more negative...) There are 'more' adjustable top bearings available (usually so the race guys can get more negative...) if you're unhappy with just elongating the factory slots a teeny bit, which is what we all did before the spiffy top bearings were available.

Then, too, there's Elephant's tricko offset ball joint, typically used to provide additional negative for the race guys, but I don't suppose there's any reason you couldn't flip 'em around if you needed an additional degree or two of decamber.

IOW - unless you have some reason to believe the car's been radically curbed (how are the bearings?) or lept off a cliff you should be OK.

They should be the same right-to-left so if they're different, you may have some minor cause for concern, but otherwise, go find yourself a dealer or independent with a P.286 or wing it.

Or maybe someone with proper angle-finder tools has had access to a known-new strut and can post the real kingpin inclination angle...
sww914
My friend builds RSR type struts with extra negative camber, raised spindles, etc., and he says that virtually ALL of the cores that he receives are bent a little bit. Whatever you have probably aren't perfect either but if it will adjust to within your alignment specs you're OK.
dlestep
QUOTE(sww914 @ Aug 19 2008, 11:15 PM) *

My friend builds RSR type struts with extra negative camber, raised spindles, etc., and he says that virtually ALL of the cores that he receives are bent a little bit. Whatever you have probably aren't perfect either but if it will adjust to within your alignment specs you're OK.

I was concerned, because of its' age. When I think of the number of times my wife has returned my vechicles with football sized curb marks on their sidewalls, I wonder how may times this front end may have been curbed or taken off-road over curbs or launched over speed bumps in the middle of the night....
It has no obvious signs of abuse, I wanted to check, before I put all the refurbishment time & $$$ into it. I am very anxious to finish my 74 by the end of the year, but I am being very cautious at the same time and watching my $$$.
Thanks to everyone who responded. type.gif
Dave
sixnotfour
damn twich
sixnotfour
dry.gif
Eric_Shea
I'm leaving it... lol3.gif
Eric_Shea
Eric_Shea
roadster fan
You guys are killing me av-943.gif

I'm dumb so please help chair.gif from sixnotfour's post the answer is 10* 55' right?

Actually I feel smart now watching someone recently try to attach an image shades.gif

Jim
McMark
Whooops, I spoiled the fun cleaning up... pinch.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Aug 20 2008, 02:49 AM) *

from sixnotfour's post the answer is 10° 55' right?

That is the nominal angle, which was the original question.
While we're still on the topic, I'd like to know the service limits indicated by the P.286 jig to get an idea how bent is OK (per the original tooling...)

Prior to 1972 struts were more of a service issue, for a variety of reasons. With 1972's improved ball joint attachment we're able to keep struts in service a lot longer than before.

Considering the brake heat and other environmental conditions they're exposed to, one wonders how many of the O-rings installed behind the 'distance piece' are still serviceable...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.