Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires,Tires, Tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
I was looking on the Hoosier web site. Their 9 X 23 X
15 slick's softest compound is R45, while in other sizes, softer compounds are available (R25).

I'm thinkin' that softer is better for AX where wear isn't the problem, but lack of heat build-up is.
So.......I was also looking at their rain tires....humm, no compound listed, nor could I find any futher specs on em'. Anybody used these buggers?....I'll also take SWAGs.

My knowledge of rain tires is limited to the fact that they overheat quickly in the dry.....this could be gud for me. confused24.gif
Mike T
I've been using 23x9-15 sized slicks on 7" wheels on my 914 autocrosser since 1997. But not Hoosiers. I've been using Goodyears in R210 compound, roughly equivelent to Hoosier R35. I've been satisfied witht the stick and they seem to last long enough. Most of my non-Porsche competition is on 13" R25 Hoosiers.

Unfortunately the softest compounds are mostly only available in the 13" diameters, Loads of them, but I never figured a way to mount 13" wheels on the car and clear the calipers without ridiculous offsets. The Hoosier guy at some of the big SCCA tour events assured me that the R45 compound would equal the Goodyear's R210 but I never could bring myself to spend the money for a set of 4 to confirm that.
This coming season I will be using the Hoosier Formula Atlantic tire package 23.5x12.0-15 rears and 22.5x9.0-15 fronts on 14" and 10" wide wheels. It will widen the car though. I had to widen the rear flares 4.5" per side. Oh, yeah, mine is a V8 car.

Mike T
J P Stein
Bill says Goodyear don't make the 210 cantelivers no mo.....which is why I went lookin'. I can fit the 9s under the flares and I'm limited to 10s in my SCCA class....the 9.4s are close enuff.

BTW, I thought you had a V6. Sumpin' new or has my memory finally gone tits up?
ChrisReale
Chris Foley of Tangerine Racing fame uses the Hoosier rain tires. Axe him for some info. I also recall reading that they overheat very quick when used dry...
nine14cats
Hey JP,

I used the Hoosier slicks in the R45 compound for auto-x last year and the R210 Goodyears....I thought they were pretty close in stickiness...although I give the Goodyears the nod overall....

Goodyear does make an R270 compound that Bob Woodman Tires stocks. I just picked up a set to try. Overall, I must confess that I prefer the "feel" of the Hoosiers, they seem more linear before they let go and seem to wear more consistent...

But the Goodyears stuck good enough to get me up on 2 WHEELS at an auto-x late last year.... blink.gif that was rather exciting...

God I hope they bring back the R210's! laugh.gif

Bill
Mike T
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 1 2004, 02:07 PM)
Bill says Goodyear don't make the 210 cantelivers no mo.....which is why I went lookin'. I can fit the 9s under the flares and I'm limited to 10s in my SCCA class....the 9.4s are close enuff.

BTW, I thought you had a V6. Sumpin' new or has my memory finally gone tits up?

At least one person I know of is using the 22.5x9.0-15 Hoosier on all 4 corners on 10" wheels on his autox Fiero (Northstar powered) Might work for a 914 as well.

My car was a V6 up 'til last year, The 2.8 60° version, but I am upgrading to a +.030" aluminum headed 283 for this season. Right now there's nothing in there but sanding marks... laugh.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

There is a guy in Wisconsin that sells used Race Tires, John Berget. I've bought my tires from him for years. He may still have some 210's if'n you don't mind "used" tires. I have another contact for used tires too. I'll post the link when I find it.

Mike T
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.