Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New flared rocker panels came today!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jk76.914
I'm taking Thursday off, so I can do a test fit and photos at that time.

First impressions-

o Nice thickness. Not flimsy thin nor too thick or heavy.

o Fairly rough exterior surface, but as I look at it, I kind of like it. It's quite uniform in texture, and should look pretty good once painted.

o Jack plug hold isn't cut out, but there's a clear recess there so it'll be a piece of cake to punch it out.

o 914.xxx partnumber is clearly legible.

o Flange along the top isn't even, will need some careful cleaning up- careful because it's none to wide to begin with.

o The flared ends don't look quite right. They're pretty even, and smoothly blend with the main length... I'm not sure if they flare enough.... Have to hold off till Thursday to check them out on the car.

More on Thursday... Anybody else get theirs yet?

Jim
dr914@autoatlanta.com
and the rest are coming.... the factory finish is duplicated on these but we suggest of course another light coat of chip guard and then painting them semi gloss. We did not cut the jack hole because the guy cannot cut properly and ruined the first 50 sets we made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The flares are EXACTLY the way the factory made them for the gts and the 916 so we duplicated it right or wrong!!!!!!! If they do not fit the flares that one installed then the flares were welded a little off (the gts and the 916 flares are a little off. I should take a few pics so everyone can see that the Porsche factory guys are just not that precise!!!!!!!!
We will have a new batch late next week.

QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Aug 19 2008, 05:40 PM) *

I'm taking Thursday off, so I can do a test fit and photos at that time.

First impressions-

o Nice thickness. Not flimsy thin nor too thick or heavy.

o Fairly rough exterior surface, but as I look at it, I kind of like it. It's quite uniform in texture, and should look pretty good once painted.

o Jack plug hold isn't cut out, but there's a clear recess there so it'll be a piece of cake to punch it out.

o 914.xxx partnumber is clearly legible.

o Flange along the top isn't even, will need some careful cleaning up- careful because it's none to wide to begin with.

o The flared ends don't look quite right. They're pretty even, and smoothly blend with the main length... I'm not sure if they flare enough.... Have to hold off till Thursday to check them out on the car.

More on Thursday... Anybody else get theirs yet?

Jim

jk76.914
Oh, and I forgot- my very FIRST impression was the packaging. Almost looks custom- perfect box, spiral wrapped bubble wrap, and extra cushioning in the ends. They put some thought into these.

Pictures Thursday.

Jim
roadster fan
popcorn[1].gif

someone has to say it......

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
jk76.914
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Aug 20 2008, 03:04 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Read my original post.... pictures Thursday- tomorrow.
hwgunner
jk76.914
A thousand apologies for not posting pictures sooner!!!

There were a couple of problems with the panels. I've talked it over with George, and he's considering some fixes for the next runs.

Realize- I have one of the first seven sets shipped. My pain will be your gain.

OK- here's the story-
The top and bottom flanges were cut kinda wavy. Along the top edge, it's a bit too visible there in the door jamb, plus some of the mounting screws would break away where the flange waves out too far. The flanges are cut as a secondary operation. I told George that I'd just as soon cut them myself- send me the raw parts. I can take whatever time I need to make it fit MY car.

Second- the right front flares out a bit too much for my car. It's similar to the 916 and some of the M471 cars, since actual factory parts were used to make the molds for these.... Not sure what my solution is here yet.

Third- there's a smooth square area where the jack hole plug needs to be cut out. Well, it wasn't in exactly the right place for my car. I suspect that there's a lot of variation in the fore-and-aft location of the flare across all the cars that got them. My jack hole needed to be about 3/8" farther aft than where the smooth area is. I cut it where it needed to be, and the plug covers the disconnect, but I recommended he NOT PUT THE FLAT SQUARE SPOT AT ALL. Someone could cut it and then find out it wasn't right for his car....

Overall, though, these are the best starting point for flared rockers I've seen....
(GRRRR! It's only letting me do two pictures! I'll do more in a second post. Probably has to do with the willow green skin getting screwed up!)

You can see the wavy cut along the bottom flange in the first pic, and the jack hole spot...
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
davep
I wonder if it would be best to have those rockers before mounting the flares?
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 22 2008, 12:08 PM) *

What came first? "The Chicken or The Egg?"

idea.gif

I mounted my flares based on the rocker panels and using the factory measurements that are floating around in varios threads.

http://www.phoenixhobbies.com/html/flares.html

Paul
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 22 2008, 12:08 PM) *

My plan is to mock up with valences, flares and rockers to get them all aligned with the body and suspension, then install.
jk76.914
Sounds like the right way to go. When I did mine in 2002, I tried to use the fiberglass rockers then available, but they were crap. (There may have been others that I didn't know about that were better, but anyway the ones I got were crap.) So we did best fit on fenders/even left to right.

roadster fan
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Aug 20 2008, 04:58 AM) *

QUOTE(roadster fan @ Aug 20 2008, 03:04 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Read my original post.... pictures Thursday- tomorrow.

I wasn't trying to be rude, just wanted to be the first to say it smile.gif

Thanks for posting the pics. Now to go back and see what was said about these flares when the announcement was made that they were being made for sale. stirthepot.gif

Jim
roadster fan
Well.............here it is:

"These are exact duplicates of the original factory so will have NO PROBLEM with the fit GUARANTEED! Within two more months to full production."

"I was really tired of high priced parts that did not fit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Jury still out on fitment. The photos of the original factory rockers in the thread below look much nicer IMHO

rocker announcement

Jim
jk76.914
That's a good point. That extra lip on the bottom was completely cut off on mine....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.