Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 engine build....S pistons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
So this 2.0/6 case is torn down and we are looking at the rings....ummm, they don't match the book for "T" pistons.....keep looking and they turn out to be "S" pistons.....good/bad. Good is higher compression and more grunt....

Bad because the engine was partially incomplete and the cams I have are "T" cams....ya can't match them.....

Anyone BTDT on rewelding cams to "S" or Solex profiles to work with "S" pistons?
markb
IIRC, the Cap'n built the 2.4/6 in the ThunderBus with E cams & S pistons. Ran on regular unleaded & kicked ass.
Eric_Shea
Why not get some Web cams? Fairly inexpensive when you're in that game... Good score on the pistons!
sixnotfour
http://www.drcamshafts.com/

nothing wrong with T cams/ totally depends on desired usage.

T cams will work with S pistons but S cams wont work with T pistons.

Isnt this a concour type resto ?
r_towle
I may know a guy who has a set...I think they are reground S cams, never used.

He had them at Hershey, they did not sell.

Rich
r_towle
Call, he does not do email.

G. N. Engineering
Owner: George Nelson,
1238 Canton Ave., Milton, MA.
Tel: 617-333-0275

Tell him I sent you.

Rich
sww914
I'd get some Mod S cams from Dougherty cams, they're not very expensive, fill out his form and he'll tell you what you need. He's really very good at camshafts.
BTW, Z, the check is in the mail.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(sww914 @ Aug 19 2008, 07:07 PM) *

BTW, Z, the check is in the mail.

OK...for what? Was this that day that I did a black out on? sheeplove.gif

Bzzzttt, oh THAT check....just got a paypal....

Thanks....
Joe Bob
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 19 2008, 06:25 PM) *

http://www.drcamshafts.com/

nothing wrong with T cams/ totally depends on desired usage.

T cams will work with S pistons but S cams wont work with T pistons.

Isnt this a concour type resto ?

Yes it's a concour resto but a little oomph wouldn't kill it. As to T cams, they don't mix with "S" pistons due to the higher dome and such....at least that's what I'm told. I've never been in a small bore 6 motor before...
Joe Bob
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 19 2008, 06:40 PM) *

Call, he does not do email.

G. N. Engineering
Owner: George Nelson,
1238 Canton Ave., Milton, MA.
Tel: 617-333-0275

Tell him I sent you.

Rich

Thanks....I'll call tomorrow.
Eric_Shea
As to T cams, they don't mix with "S" pistons due to the higher dome and such....at least that's what I'm told.

Hmmmmmmmm... av-943.gif
Joe Bob
Tell me what ya really think Eric....doan make me post the Italian Cleavage...

Looks like I had it backwards....T cams will work with S pistons but S cams wont work with T pistons. I should read ALL the posts. dry.gif

So....what do I give up by using T cams? What do I gain going to E spec, or Solex...is that a E spec, or use a reground/welded S?

S cams are supposed to be real peaky and not so streetable....I had an early S engine in "Manfred" but that was a gutted race body with a lot of glass parts....ran like a scalded Italian Mother In Law....
Eric_Shea
T's are very "streetable". You would gain a bit of bottom end torque "I would imagine". I say that because I've never experienced it before. A mild cam in a high compression engine? confused24.gif Maybe Jeff can weigh-in -or- contact Bruce Anderson and see what he would think about the combo. I did "very" well at the local PCA autocross with my 2.2T spec motor because I could basically leave it in second and drive.

My preference for a streetable engine would be Solex - E or even S-Cams. I think S-cams are fine for the street if you keep your ports within limits. I wouldn't blast past 36mm and they should be fine. I'm building a 3.0 with MFI and S-Cams for the street. 36mm will be my max. for intake ports.

The lower you go (from S to E to Solex to T) the less top end power and the smoother your torque curve will be... me thinks. There are others here that know way more about this than I though.
r_towle
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 20 2008, 12:45 PM) *

There are others here that know way more about this than I though.

Taken out of context...

Is this a general statement???

biggrin.gif

Rich
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 20 2008, 12:45 PM) *

My preference for a streetable engine would be Solex - E or even S-Cams. I think S-cams are fine for the street if you keep your ports within limits. I wouldn't blast past 36mm and they should be fine. I'm building a 3.0 with MFI and S-Cams for the street. 36mm will be my max. for intake ports.

We did a whole big cam thread just a few weeks ago...

The bigger the engine the more it tends to 'level out' the peaks. So a 3,0 with an early S cam is a far different thing than a 2,0S with the same cam.

I ran E cams in my 2,0 /6 and liked it a lot. Smooth idle, good transition region (the right carb parts helps here - previously posted...) enough power for 140 at the end of Riverside's L-O-N-G (Can-Am) straight.
Eric_Shea
Is this a general statement???

That would be a general fact. About "everything". wink.gif
Ted 914/6
I built my 2.4T with 2.2S p/c and E Cams. Runs good. Got the combo out of Bruce Anderson's book. Tip: check your valve clearance during assembly to confirm the timing. Good reliable street set up. Good Luck - Ted
Joe Bob
Towle's buddy called....5 minutes before the alram went off. He thought 805 was in Maine...not the west coast...anyways...still working on cams. At this point I'm getting prices on a weld up and regrind....

I called him back...voice mail....arrrgh...
r_towle
George is a 356 shop.
He is very cool, but does not answer the phone to often..
Try again, he may be out in his shop working like he is supposed to be doing...just keep trying and give him your cell so when he has time he can call you.

I think you will be happy with the price/product.

Rich
TimT
Mike, I still have for sale the cams I offered up on another thread. They are Webcam 158R which is a kind of a Solex/E+ cam

$300+shipping from new yawk.
sww914
That's a bargain.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif ...and a 1/2
Joe Bob
Tim...you have a PM and an offer....

Thanks

Z
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.