Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worn ignition locking cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gdonahoe
I have been fighting an intermittent no start problem with my ’73 914 which has now progressed to a continuous no start problem. After working from the rear of the car forward, looking for bad connections, I found that the ignition key to not be turning the switch far enough to engage the contacts to power the starter solenoid. It is my theory that the locking cylinder is worn to a point that it is not producing sufficient travel.

I find that Pelican shows that new locking cylinders are no longer available, however Automobile Atlanta offers p/n 914 347 903 02 for $136.25 which I assume to be an OEM part. I also find that various sources offer a new locking cylinder made by Hella (p/n W0133-1629388) to fit my car for about $35.00. Normally I have found Hella products to be of good quality. Has anyone had experience with this Hella locking cylinder?

Although both seem to be in good working order, I am considering replacing the steering lock assembly and starter/ignition switch, along with the worn locking cylinder to cover all of the bases to fix this problem once and for all.

Your thoughts and experiences are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Gary D.
markb
More than likely it's going to be the plastic switch. You can get new ones from the usual suspects.
gdonahoe
I suppose that it could be the plastic switch but when I turn it with a screw driver instead of the key it engages the contacts properly. However it does take a little more effort to overcome the spring than I would think is necessary.
xperu
I removed the plastic switch just yesterday and found it to be cracked just as the Pelican tech. article suggested it would be. The new switch was $8, my ignition key is pretty worn so I thought I would bring my ignition key/cylinder to a lock smith today to see if he had any suggestion. Mike
Bartlett 914
I am sure you are not going to put an old switch in with a new tumbler. Change the switch first. Then replace the tumbler if it turns out the switch wasn't the problem. I also think used tumblers must be available. You will need to re key but that is covered in here somewhere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.