Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No fuel after pump relocation and SS line install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LowGT
This is on a stock 74 1.8 L-jet.

I just relocated the pump to the front and installed the SS lines. I'm not getting fuel to the engine, plugs are dry. I followed a post Darling made to connect the 3 port pump to the tank/ss lines.

Pump turns on with key in the on position and AFM plate pressed open.

Do I need to prime the system? I didn't think that was necessary since it is a return style fuel system.

My only thought is a pinched fuel line under the tank after I set it in. Just wanted to see if I'm missing anything before I try to drain 5 gal of gas from under the car to lift the tank out.

Dan
markb
You need to cycle the pump at least a dozen times (turn the key on & off) to get fuel in the lines & up to pressure.
r_towle
I just leave the key on and open the flapper with my finger.
Listen to the pump..you will hear a distinct change in tone when it gets under load...thus fuel pressure.

Rich
LowGT
Mark, I just gave that a shot by triggering the FP with the AFM plate. Cycled it about 30 times and nothing. I can squeeze the fuel line in the engine compartment with no resistance when the pump is running.
r_towle
you may have put the fuel lines on backwards????
markb
I'm not familiar with how L jet works, but it sounds like you're taking the right approach.
LowGT
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 19 2008, 11:35 PM) *

you may have put the fuel lines on backwards????

Yea, I fear I may have crossed the lines under the tank or pinched a line when the tank went in. headbang.gif

Tank comes back out tomorrow I guess.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 19 2008, 09:21 PM) *

You need to cycle the pump at least a dozen times (turn the key on & off) to get fuel in the lines & up to pressure.

Not on a 1.8 with L-jet, Mark.

The Cap'n
Allan
Maybe just a pinched fuel line under the tank?

I had the same problem and that's what it was.
Sleepin
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 20 2008, 12:17 AM) *

The Cap'n

I agree, the L-Jet should start right up. I had all my lines off and drained for a few days....hooked them up and she started with a little jab of the gas pedal.
McMark
Don't pull the tank, just put the front on jackstands (observe safety procedures here), pull off the steering rack cover, reach up into the access hole on the passenger side and feel the lines. Feel for kinks. I can usually pull the lines out of the access hole and leave them dangling then test fire the motor. Once I'm sure it runs fine, then carefully stuff the lines back into the hole.
ClayPerrine
Pull the gravel pan that is under the steering rack. Reach in the hole on the right side and see if you can feel a pinched fuel line.

If you get the lines too long when putting the tank in, they will pinch. If you pinch the suction line you will not get fuel pressure.

BTDT..

markb
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Aug 20 2008, 09:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 20 2008, 12:17 AM) *

The Cap'n

I agree, the L-Jet should start right up. I had all my lines off and drained for a few days....hooked them up and she started with a little jab of the gas pedal.

Looks like I learned something new today. Sorry for the misinformation. sad.gif
LowGT
Line was kinked under the tank, unfortunately it sat like that so long I couldn't straighten it. So I pulled the tank and fixed the suction line.

Car will start, but my friend said only the cylinders on the pass side were firing. (HE's not on car until I know everything is running and no major oil gushers) I had to hold the gas to the floor to maintain a put-put idle. I could not rev the engine. It seemed like the other 2 cylinders would kick in sporadically.

Guess now I'm off to check my valve clearances and plug wires. My resistor pack is pretty ghetto-rific, looks like it's been mended many times. The car was running good before I pulled the engine to replace seals, it just leaked oil.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(LowGT @ Aug 20 2008, 09:00 PM) *

Line was kinked under the tank, unfortunately it sat like that so long I couldn't straighten it. So I pulled the tank and fixed the suction line.

Car will start, but my friend said only the cylinders on the pass side were firing. (HE's not on car until I know everything is running and no major oil gushers) I had to hold the gas to the floor to maintain a put-put idle. I could not rev the engine. It seemed like the other 2 cylinders would kick in sporadically.

Guess now I'm off to check my valve clearances and plug wires. My resistor pack is pretty ghetto-rific, looks like it's been mended many times. The car was running good before I pulled the engine to replace seals, it just leaked oil.

Check that the injectors are supplying fuel by removing them and have then spray in containers. You may have kicked up some dirt and that bank may be clogged. If this is that case, they can be cleaned. I recently bought 4 new ones from Autohausaz.com for less than 50.00 each. I felt this was a better deal than having old ones cleaned.
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 20 2008, 02:17 AM) *

The Cap'n

In DJet when you turn the key to the run position it activates the pump for 1-3 seconds. So, on a dry system (new lines, injectors etc) I typically will turn the key on and off 5 times then start the car...its fills up pretty fast.

On LJet, I am never really confident that the fuel pump runs.
It does not run when you turn the key to the run position (by design)
I think its supposed to run when you crank the starter, but that makes no sense...most cars shut everything down except coil and starter for that cranking process.
The pump runs when the flapper door opens on the AFM and the key is in the run position.

The only way I have had any luck on a dry system is to turn the key on and open the flapper door with my finger until I hear the pump change tone...then I know there is fuel pressure in the whole system.
Then I plug everything back in place and start the car...once pressurized the first time it holds forever as far as I can tell...we have parked my sons car for months at a time and it starts right up, no priming needed.

Djet seems to loose its prime after a few days, so my habit (right or wrong) is to turn the key two times then start it...
My Djet has no leaks, but it does like it when I turn the key twice...it starts right on the first crank...otherwise I crank for a while and it starts, so its fuel related.

Rich
LowGT
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 21 2008, 05:47 PM) *

The only way I have had any luck on a dry system is to turn the key on and open the flapper door with my finger until I hear the pump change tone...then I know there is fuel pressure in the whole system.

I also noticed while running my pump, I could hear air bubbles in the gas tank from the return line. I just held the flapper open until I could no longer hear the bubbles, the pump also changed pitch like you mentioned before.

Dan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.