Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Front axle to a 73 Ghia?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ghiaguy
Hello everyone,
I'm a new member and although i have not been able to get a 914 as yet, I did find a nice 73 Ghia Cabriolet (convertible), so in my never ending quest for road performance i'm wondering if it may be possible to install a 914 front axle including the rack & pinion steering?
This is a project car so I don't mind a little modification.
Any comments?
Mahalo
McMark
Like anything, it's do-able, but they're not even close to interchangeable. So you're looking at a lot of custom work.

If you do take it on, keep us posted. I'd love to see progress pictures.
sww914
914's don't have a front axle. It is fully independent MacPherson Strut suspension. Rthter than a front axle beam like a ghia which supports the whole front suspension with torsion springs running laterally through the tubes, the 914 front suspension uses 2 torsion bars which run longitudinally inside of the inboard portion of the lower control arm. The steering rack is located behind the front wheels and the steering rack and tie rods occupy the area just in front and above the master cylinder. That space on a ghia is occupied by the front of the center tunnel which is essentially the backbone of the car and by the bottom of the gas tank. It is possible to adapt the chassis to accept a 914 front setup, but it would require advanced fabrication skills.
The ghia is a chassis pan with a body bolted on top but a 914 is a unibody.
The ghia's body also has no structure to support the lateral loads on the top of the struts. I've seen a bug with 911 suspension in a magazine, it can be done, but there's no easy part.
PeeGreen 914
Would it be easier to do a coilover setup on the front then or does it need the support from the belly? Maybe if you make a cage to tie everything in for stregnth so you can get rid of the other stuff.
Mark Henry
I have a ghia and 914 sitting here, I'd say no.
It can be cool and it can be fast, but it doesn't matter how much money you throw at a ghia it will never perform like a modern car.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Ghiaguy @ Aug 19 2008, 11:37 PM) *

Hello everyone,
I'm a new member and although i have not been able to get a 914 as yet, I did find a nice 73 Ghia Cabriolet (convertible), so in my never ending quest for road performance i'm wondering if it may be possible to install a 914 front axle including the rack & pinion steering?
This is a project car so I don't mind a little modification.
Any comments?
Mahalo

Just a thought, with what it would cost to finish the Ghia, you could have a nice

914. And it comes 'stock' with all sorts of cool $hit. Just watch for rust when you

buy. My .02
r_towle
It could be done.
You would have to remove the front beam on the ghia and weld up a square frame sectioned into the front of the floor/tunnel/beam head.

You need to pick up four points for the lower a-arms.
You probably would need to re-enforce the upper fender for the struts also.....but it could be done.
I saw a 356 with a 914/911 front end...it was pretty straight forward if you can fabricate and weld...its just metal.

If all you are looking for is better steering, there are bolt in racks for the beetle/buggies that I am sure could be adapted to the ghia.
Rich
gregrobbins
Do a search on the web for Formula First race cars. They run the VW ball joint front beam suspension. There are a number of ways to modify the front to make it work better. If you have an older link pin front, upgrade to a ball joint and mess with spacing and shocks.

The beams can work well if preped properly--pay extra attention to camber and toe. It will never handle as well as a 914, but be a lot, LOT, less work. Then invest the extra time and money in Driver's Ed events and autocross. A really good driver in a so so car is usually faster than a so so driver in a really good car.

Ghias are cool. Saw one racing in the vintage class at Sandia Motor Speedway last weekend.
So.Cal.914
Would there be width issues? If not, could he cut a 914 tub, sub-dash and all and

fab that in? That would give him mounting points for the susp., rack, teener

steering collum/ lock /switch. I am sure you could find a rotted teener to snag the

parts from. If you have the time and money it would be a cool project.

But if your going to go to all that, make the Ghia mid-engine. tube frame with front susp, trailing arms and running gear from a 914... smile.gif
Ghiaguy
Well look's like it's back to the drawing board, thanks for the help.
Now that idea about a mid enigne Ghia...Hmmm!
Mahalo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.