Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Save this BumbleBee from the crusher!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
So i just went by EASY today to collect some of the VIN Numbers of the cars sitting there waiting for the crusher, and there's this silver/black '74 sitting in the corner. It was hit in the rear, but not bad, just a dent in the panel ...

I come back home and run the VIN, sure enough, it's a known LE BumbleBee !!!

VIN: 4742915355 , last known Location: Palo Alto, CA

Someone *please* go and save that one from the crusher!
blink.gif Andy
SirAndy
Actually, it's a Silver repaint on the outside, but everything else is still black. Just got off the phone with John at EASY. He said it's a clean title, came from Palo Alto with another car ('73 1.7L) from the same owner.

Got some minor damage to the rear panel and the nose panel, nothing structural, nice interior etc.

Here's your chance to own a Limited Edition LE for cheap!
smash.gif Andy
Dr. Roger
hey, i think i've seen that car.

it's a decent choice for a restoration....

did you catch what they are asking for it?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Aug 20 2008, 02:21 PM) *

He never considered selling it whole until about 5 minutes ago. biggrin.gif

Call EASY, ask for John: 510.653.3279

Tell him i sent you ...
bye1.gif Andy
Rav914
Good work Andy!
JeffBowlsby
agree.gif was wondering when this car would surface, glad you found it. Please save it! Its more rare than a /6! I wish I could take in this stray but my garage is full!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 20 2008, 03:26 PM) *

but my garage is full!

And i don't even have a garage!

dry.gif Andy
Mike Gilbert
please keep us informed about this car. this is very interesting! smile.gif
orange914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 20 2008, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Aug 20 2008, 02:21 PM) *

He never considered selling it whole until about 5 minutes ago. biggrin.gif

Call EASY, ask for John: 510.653.3279

Tell him i sent you ...
bye1.gif Andy

post the info. if anyone gets it. someone here has got to rescue it! hows the rust issues?

mike

we just got the 73 done (a driver) and picked up today. i bet you all can read my mind... dry.gif
don't think that's reality though
hot_shoe914
Just left a message for John. I'm kinda looking for a real LE to make a grasshopper out of for the ball and chain.
watsonrx13
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif - Now go back to take some pics.... shades.gif

-- Rob
SirAndy
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Aug 20 2008, 07:08 PM) *

Just left a message for John. I'm kinda looking for a real LE to make a grasshopper out of for the ball and chain.

smilie_pokal.gif

RoadGlue
yay!
SGB
I need a new project...

really. does it drive?
smg914

agree.gif Please save it! Its more rare than a /6!

Hmmm, I would think a black 914-6 is more rare than a black/yellow 914. Metallic Red, Metallic Green and Willow Green are pretty rare 914-6 colors too.
6freak
QUOTE(smg914 @ Aug 22 2008, 09:17 AM) *

Hmmm, I would think a black 914-6 is more rare than a black/yellow 914. Metallic Red, Metallic Green and Willow Green are pretty rare 914-6 colors too.

I could be wrong but i dont think there were any factory red six`s?? someone will tell us or show us soon...believe that
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 22 2008, 08:23 AM) *

QUOTE(smg914 @ Aug 22 2008, 09:17 AM) *

I could be wrong but i dont think there were any factory red six`s?? someone will tell us or show us soon...believe that

Bahia Red. You don't see them too often.
smg914
Paint # 81 Metallic Red was an optional color for the 914-6 in 1970. A friend of mine from Alabama had one. It's the only one I ever saw in person.
6freak
QUOTE(smg914 @ Aug 22 2008, 09:39 AM) *

Paint # 81 Metallic Red was an optional color for the 914-6 in 1970. A friend of mine from Alabama had one. It's the only one I ever saw in person.

so you had a choice between bahia and metallic ? any pics of both colors
smg914
One of our members here recently purchased an original Bahia Red 914-6. Maybe he will eventually post some pictures. Unfortunately I never took a picture of that Metallic Red 914-6 in Alabama.
smg914
QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 22 2008, 08:44 AM) *

I believe for the 914-6, Metallic Red was only available in 1970 and Bahia Red only in 1971 and 1972.
6freak
QUOTE(smg914 @ Aug 22 2008, 09:50 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 22 2008, 08:44 AM) *

I believe for the 914-6, Metallic Red was only available in 1970 and Bahia Red only in 1971 and 1972.

Very good sir thanks for the info .....have a nice day biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(smg914 @ Aug 22 2008, 08:50 AM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...y=s9146LateCode

shades.gif Andy
Gustl
here's a factory original MY'70 914-6 in metallic red #8110

I absolutely love this colour wub.gif
Gustl
and some of you might know that factory 914-6 that was used for mag ads
metallic red too

IPB Image
Gustl
and here's a factory original MY'71 914-6 in bahia red #1310

6freak
QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 22 2008, 11:55 AM) *

WOW WOW WOW ...thats a beautiful car ...almost as nice as mine lol....dump the euro tail lenses and it would be perfect
smg914
WOW...that metallic red six is absolutely beautiful. I love that color combination. And that bahia red six is the same car I was referring to earlier.
6freak
Click to view attachment[quote name='smg914' post='1070181' date='Aug 22 2008, 12:16 PM']
WOW...that metallic red six is absolutely beautiful. I love that color combination. And that bahia red six is the same car I was referring to earlier.
[/q

My guards red honey
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 22 2008, 11:55 AM) *

I like the license plate ROWZBD (or Rosebud (a sled) - I guess you have to an Orson Welles fan....)
JeffBowlsby
I went to see 914 LE 15355 today. The chassis has been damaged at the rear quarter panel, rear sway bar mounts and a little to the nose, but it was impossible to see the whole chassis for a careful evaluation, I could not see more than that. It still has the drive train and suspension and most parts, certainly all the important parts for an LE, except for the Mahle wheels and front spoiler. The worst damage to my eye was at the rear sway bar mounts. It has all the earmarks of an LE, correct numbers, yellow paint on rocker panel chips, grey headlight relay covers, etc. Andy you got good eyes bro…there is a collector bone in you somewhere…smile.gif

I am not able to rescue this LE personally, I have no room and no place to store it, but it is a worthwhile project especially if someone with metal skills and time is interested. Jim at EASY is not very interested in selling the car whole, because to them it’s a parts car and the parts are worth more to them than they paid for the car, it would be a lost opportunity for them to sell it, but deep down, I sense he is sensitive to the collector market and would be amiable to the right deal. With persuasion, he guessed he would sell it as is for around ~$2500. The engine is not currently running, but he does not think it would take much to get it going, so keep that in mind if anyone is interested.

w00t.gif

The best deal is to buy it now, with at least some of the parts attached, maybe the price is more negotiable, or maybe he would include some wheels, but he is not eager to sell it. Another option, might be to work out a deal with him to haul the chassis off when he is done stripping it. The chassis has no value to him, but the original drivetrain would be important to keep with the car for authenticity and he understood that. He would probably throw in the chassis for free if you paid for the drivetrain. Someone make him an offer he cannot refuse, and soon, or this one will slip away…
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 22 2008, 04:43 PM) *

there is a collector bone in you somewhere…smile.gif

I know i've got a Grumpy Bone, maybe it's the same?
biggrin.gif Andy
markb
QUOTE(smg914 @ Aug 22 2008, 11:16 AM) *

That's one of the reasons I painted my /4 metallic red & put in a tan & black interior.
Eric_Shea
This one's butt ugly. You'd have to be a "nut" to like it! biggrin.gif

IPB Image

hide.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 22 2008, 07:43 PM) *

I went to see 914 LE 15355 today. The chassis has been damaged at the rear quarter panel, rear sway bar mounts and a little to the nose, but it was impossible to see the whole chassis for a careful evaluation, I could not see more than that. It still has the drive train and suspension and most parts, certainly all the important parts for an LE, except for the Mahle wheels and front spoiler. The worst damage to my eye was at the rear sway bar mounts. It has all the earmarks of an LE, correct numbers, yellow paint on rocker panel chips, grey headlight relay covers, etc. Andy you got good eyes bro…there is a collector bone in you somewhere…smile.gif

I am not able to rescue this LE personally, I have no room and no place to store it, but it is a worthwhile project especially if someone with metal skills and time is interested. Jim at EASY is not very interested in selling the car whole, because to them it’s a parts car and the parts are worth more to them than they paid for the car, it would be a lost opportunity for them to sell it, but deep down, I sense he is sensitive to the collector market and would be amiable to the right deal. With persuasion, he guessed he would sell it as is for around ~$2500. The engine is not currently running, but he does not think it would take much to get it going, so keep that in mind if anyone is interested.

w00t.gif

The best deal is to buy it now, with at least some of the parts attached, maybe the price is more negotiable, or maybe he would include some wheels, but he is not eager to sell it. Another option, might be to work out a deal with him to haul the chassis off when he is done stripping it. The chassis has no value to him, but the original drivetrain would be important to keep with the car for authenticity and he understood that. He would probably throw in the chassis for free if you paid for the drivetrain. Someone make him an offer he cannot refuse, and soon, or this one will slip away…

Hey Jeff, you must have been the one out there taking pictures when I was talking to Jim on the phone today. I am trying to put together a rescue plan but hard to negotiate from 2000 miles away. He asked me for 3500.00 and wasn't really wanting to budge on the phone. I only paid a few hundred more than that for the one I am driving and racing now and have spent no money on it since purchace.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.