Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help needed - really loud backfire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DarrenG
Here goes: Engine is back in after complete rebuild. 2.0 w/ DJet. It will crank, but won't start. It has a very, very loud backfire.

I pulled the timing plug. It's at TDC, dizzy has the #1 mark and rotor lined up at 10:00.

When I installed the dizzy, I made sure it was at 12 degrees, with the small half on the outside.

I think this has to be timing - but can't get a light on it until it's running.

any suggestion?

thanks
Mike D.
Are you sure the plug wires are correct? I've done that one before....
DarrenG
Plug wires are correct.

Reading the Haynes book, it says to set TDC to #1 on it's firing stroke. Could this be the issue? I am certain the short end of the distributor drive gear was to the outside - I believe that would have to be on the firing stroke. I'll pull the dizzy again, reset to TDC and make sure it's on the firing stroke. then try again.

I'm trying to rule out other stuff before removing the distributor. Could anything else cause a really loud backfire?

thanks
Joe Owensby
In addition to checking the plug connections, have you tried rotating the dizzy to see if you can find a sweet spot?
DarrenG
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Aug 20 2008, 11:00 PM) *

In addition to checking the plug connections, have you tried rotating the dizzy to see if you can find a sweet spot?

A little. after the first monster backfire, I pulled the cap and made sure the rotor was lined up with the #1 mark when at TDC. Got another monster backfire, so I figure I have to be way off.

also, the vac advance is pointing where it's supposed to.
DarrenG
Problem solved.

I was right. I installed the distributor drive gear with #1 at TDC - but not on the compression stroke.

Pulled the distributor and drive gear, rotated engine until #1 was at TDC on the compression stroke, reinstalled and it fired right up.

Thanks to all. This board has been a huge support for this rookie rebuild.

Drive On!

D
championgt1
smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.