Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Coil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
I bought a new coil for my car and the new coil says to only use it without an external resistor. Does a 914 have an external resistor(i don't really know what that is) and can i use this coil for the 914? there is a warning saying that if the coil is marked "use without external resistor" it must not be used in a car with an resistor in the ignition coil circuit. Can i use this coil without any problems?

Thanks everybody!!
Root_Werks
Plug it in and go, you should be fine. What's the part number and brand of the coil?

914-4's didn't use an external resistor on coils.
turnaround89
Brand is Duralast and the part number is LU800(thats off the side of the box)

I wil give it a shot, thanks!!
Joe Ricard
No don't use it. it will have a very sort life. MINUTES

the coil is not designed to run off of 12V more like 9V this is what the external resistor will do "create a voltage drop"

You can go to any FLAPS and buy the square ceramic resistor to put in line with the switched power to the coil.
turnaround89
It is supposed to be used without the external resistor. On the coil itself it says "USE WITHOUT EXTERNAL RESISTOR" above that there is a large 12V, which would mean it runs off of 12 volts.
Joe Ricard
OK I read it backwards.
Sorry But I am right.
swl
just out of curiostiy could you put an ohm meter across the the leads and see what it measures?
SLITS
Autozone product .... internal resistor just like the real Bosch Blue which is fed 12 VDC and drops voltage to 9 VDC internally.

Ignition Coil CONVENTIONAL, EXC ELEC. IGN, USE LU800 FOR COIL W/INTERNAL RESISTOR; w/o CALIF.

If a non-internal resistor coil is used with 12 VDC, the coil does not burn out immediately ... it will run real hot and it will disintegrate the rotor contacts and center electrode on the distributor cap .... It will probably eventually explode .... Been There; Done That.
turnaround89
So, am i able to use this or no? And if i can't use it, where can i get the correct one? thanks everybody
SLITS
Based on the info ......Use it It is internally resistorized just like the stock coil.
turnaround89
Ok, thats what i thought the answer would be, but i don't want to do any damage to any parts on the engine by running the wrong parts. Thanks everybody!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.