Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jack point rusted and crumbling? Here's my solution. Projekt 908 s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
juicersr
Click to view attachment

Finishing up 'Projekt 908' with all the niggling end of projekt details, and here is a sub-projekt to replace the jack hole and reinforce the longitudinal at the same time.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....097#post4133097
URY914
You didn't weld it to the long?
juicersr
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 21 2008, 07:43 PM) *

You didn't weld it to the long?

Well, was thinking about it, but the longitudinal sheet metal looked too flimsy to weld the iron plate to... That plate is anchored both vertically and horizontally by a mixture of bondo/fiber jelly that i don't think the devil himself could tear apart.

I am going to keep an eye on it after the first couple of track days/ jackings. I can still weld it in the future if it looks like separation is occuring.
tracks914
Don't ever get under that car without axle stands.
SirAndy
That door gap doesn't look too good ...

idea.gif Andy
juicersr
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 21 2008, 08:32 PM) *

That door gap doesn't look too good ...

idea.gif Andy

Yeah, the car had been hit before on the right side/front and the repairs were medicore to say the least. The door gap is one of the repair flaws

To be honest, one of the reasons that i chose this car was that, due to the amount of neglect, it didnt make sense as a restoration project, only as a track project.

Don't worry, the jack plates are just for quick tire changes at the track. Jack stands all around otherwise.
SirAndy
QUOTE(juicersr @ Aug 21 2008, 08:14 PM) *

To be honest, one of the reasons that i chose this car was that, due to the amount of neglect, it didnt make sense as a restoration project, only as a track project.

thumb3d.gif

Looks like it's gonna be fun. Have you been able to drive it yet?
idea.gif Andy
juicersr
I took it for a spin about eight months ago when i first got the wheels done. Was an absolutely incredible experience... the sound of the webers and flat fan just behind my head without any sound proofing, and the megaphone exhausts wailing away. Handled like a go cart. There are a couple of american muscle car/ hot rod shops around where we are working, and some of the guys cam over afterwards and said they had never heard anything like it.
Rand
Is it just me who is thinking it looks like the jack point was wounded, you scratched it, and now it has a big ugly scab???

Oy. I posted my more rational thoughts on the Pelican thread, but now I need another beer. drunk.gif

It's a cool project, and I love watching your work. Looking forward to seeing more. Would love to see it in person and ride in it.
beerchug.gif
brant
"To be honest, one of the reasons that i chose this car was that, due to the amount of neglect, it didnt make sense as a restoration project, only as a track project. "

actually if you think about it, rusty project cars make better street cars than they do race cars.

with a race car you want light weight= no rusted welded spots
with a race car you want more strengh than stock= no rusty spots
with a race car you are pushing the limits of safety= no rusty spots

I cringe when people have rusty cars and say "well its good for a track project"
I don't want to see people loose control / wreck / get hurt / hit me! because their car was flexing at the limit....

rusty cars deserve scab plates and street use!

brant

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.