Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '70 paint question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
9146FAN
Does anyone know for sure if the Factory painted the area behind the fog lights / horns black or was it body color?

My car was body color, but the car had been repainted at least one time. I vaguelu remeber the '70's (if you know what I mean) and I think there was black paint in that area.

I'd apreciate it if anyone has info and / or pics on the subject.

Thanks,

Eddie

1970 Neun vierzehn
Eddie,
Here's a photo of my '70/4 (build date 01/70) after the front bumper was removed, but before the restoration began. This was the original finish.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
Another pic during the resto. You can see the f/l and horns are removed and the metal is being worked, but you can see the yet untouched portions of the front part of the chassis.
dw914er
it would have been the factory color, with the horn being black in front of it, as you can see from pauls pictures
TJB/914
Eddie,

The guys are correct. It's body color behind the fog light grill assembly.

Body color

Fog lamps are satin & kind of glossy black with the mounting brackets zinc coated.

Horn is not painted. I cleaned mine up with extra fine steel wool & gave it a coat of clear satin paint from a rattle can to keep it from fading.

Here's a photo, hope it helps.

Tom
TJB/914
Eddie,

Just want to throw this in for fun. rolleyes.gif

T
9146FAN
Thank you guys.

Paul, thanks for the pics., the close-up with the sanding marks is very convincing.

Thomas, thanks for the nice close-up too, and thanks for that cool absract 914 pic. Is that a reference to the '70's??

Since this is the CW forum and since it's unanimous, I'm going with body color.

Thanks again,

Eddie

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(9146FAN @ Aug 22 2008, 10:33 PM) *

Thank you guys.

Paul, thanks for the pics., the close-up with the sanding marks is very convincing.

Thomas, thanks for the nice close-up too, and thanks for that cool absract 914 pic. Is that a reference to the '70's??

Thanks again,

Eddie

Eddie,
Body color is correct.

The horns were originally galvanized, which quickly deteriorated because they are subject to everything that weather can provide. Years ago, I took my horns to bare metal, sprayed them with Rust Oleum galvanizing paint (still available?) and clear coated them. They still look great.
Pat
9146FAN
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 24 2008, 06:53 PM) *

QUOTE(9146FAN @ Aug 22 2008, 10:33 PM) *

Thank you guys.

Thanks again,

Eddie

Eddie,
Body color is correct.

The horns were originally galvanized, which quickly deteriorated because they are subject to everything that weather can provide. Years ago, I took my horns to bare metal, sprayed them with Rust Oleum galvanizing paint (still available?) and clear coated them. They still look great.
Pat

Thanks for the tip Pat. I may consult you again as the re-assembly progresses.

Eddie

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.