Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: turbo flare 912?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearhead1432
It's a 1968 912. The over all condition is really nice, infact I would say a six out of ten. The problem is some time ago someone decided it would be cool to add turbo flares and tail on this otherwise stock 912. I drove it once and it seemed OK. Recently the owner came to me because he coun't get it started. I looked at it apears as though over the last few months a bunch of water got in the engine and it will not turn over by hand at all. I recomended he drain all of the oil out and refill it asap. At that time I offerd him 2K for it. The owner wants to get 7K out of it.

So it's a nice 912, but has been molested with turbo flares, and the engine may be toast. Was my offer reasonable?

-Rob

IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
stateofidleness
one man's molested is another man's eye candy!

to be honest, i think it looks sexy.. the mismatched rims though kinda kills it..

no idea on value, but it looks nice
seanery
it's definitely a bastard. Looks like a good race car candidate if it's solid, but not worth much IMHO. confused24.gif unless he finds a buyer with the same taste ( and a spare 912 motor)
Gearhead1432
So am I totaly off my rocker for offering 2,000? I got my '72 914 for 1,200 and it has a strong running engine and reqired a similar level of body work. The last time I checked it can cost a small fortune to rebuild a 616 type engine. Wouldn't that affect the value a lot?

-Rob
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Gearhead1432 @ Aug 22 2008, 06:12 PM) *

So am I totaly off my rocker for offering 2,000?...it can cost a small fortune to rebuild a 616 type engine. Wouldn't that affect the value a lot?

Steel or plastic flares?
Flare the fronts, lose the Turbo tail, put on a ducktail and you're pretty much at early (2,8) RSR look. (IMO Turbo tails have no place on a long hood car, but again, that's my opinion...)

it -can- cost a small fortune to rebuild any engine - depends what's bad and what you expect. if it's -really- bad, uprate to 911 (somewhat easier than a 914 /4 -> /6) or drop in a T-IV.

The big questions - HOW IS THE RUST? front pans and torsion tube will tell the tale. If they're solid, you're probably closer to his number than yours (check out Excellence for longhood car values...).

You're not off your rocker _offering_ a lowball starting number. (Starting at $20,000 is off your rocker ;-)...) You may have unreasonable expectations thinking you can actually get it for that price, however...
Eric_Shea
On or off your rocker, regardless... at $2k you'd still be upside down.

I'll agree that Turbo tails don't belong on longhoods... in fact; I don't think they belong on anything but Turbos. I've seen many on SC's and even that makes me wanna barf.gif If you have to have a tail on a long hood make it a duck. If you have to have a tail on an SC make it a Carrera.

I'll counter Rich with; keep the fronts and find some SWB rear quarters only if you know how to weld.

Otherwise; walk away confident that even small children (and furry animals) are pointing and giggling at that one.
sww914
There's nothing there to buy but a few parts. It looks like a yard sale. Crap spread out everywhere that doesn't go together.
Joe Bob
2K, for a long hood 912 with mods, running....grab it. Take the crap off, sell it and enjoy it was designed.

7K, the dork can suck eggs. Why is it every weenie in the...whatever, thinks a non-running Porche is wurth a billion dollars? Go tip a cow numbnutz....
Gearhead1432
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 22 2008, 10:40 PM) *

On or off your rocker, regardless... at $2k you'd still be upside down.

I'll agree that Turbo tails don't belong on longhoods... in fact; I don't think they belong on anything but Turbos. I've seen many on SC's and even that makes me wanna :puke: If you have to have a tail on a long hood make it a duck. If you have to have a tail on an SC make it a Carrera.

I'll counter Rich with; keep the fronts and find some SWB rear quarters only if you know how to weld.

Otherwise; walk away confident that even small children (and furry animals) are pointing and giggling at that one.

Are the rear quarters differant for the short wheel base cars? I never really thought about it before, but I supose they would have to be. I don't think welding would be as much an issue as locating good replacement sheet metal.

From what he told me the other day, he knows someone that is into 'classic cars' and 'knows' aircooled that will pay 7K for it when he gets back from deployment. I don't think he knows that the engine is frozen however.. blink.gif or even what a 912 is.

-Rob
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 23 2008, 01:40 AM) *

I'll counter Rich with; keep the fronts and find some SWB rear quarters

Yes, I had missed the fact that as a '68 it's a SWB car, which helps explain why the proportions look so weird. And of course if the rear flares are plastic (likely) then I agree it has value only as transportation, which it's not with no engine.
stepuptotheMike

From what he told me the other day, he knows someone that is into 'classic cars' and 'knows' aircooled that will pay 7K for it when he gets back from deployment. I don't think he knows that the engine is frozen however.. blink.gif or even what a 912 is.

-Rob

Tell him good luck on that sale.

-Mike
Eric_Shea
he knows someone that is into 'classic cars' and 'knows' aircooled that will pay 7K for it when he gets back from deployment

I really don't approve of taking advantage of our men and women who serve... but, let him but it. That thing's a piece of crap. Again, even at $2k you'd be upside down. Quick Math:

Piece of Shit = 2k
Metal = 1k
Metal work = 2k
Paint = 8k
Engine = 5k
All the other crap it will need to make it right = 8-10k (don't make me list it out... I've restore 2 911's and 3 914's)

Total = $26-28k (you'll get $150 back when you sell the POS tail on eBay)

Now check the prices on really cool 912's (because me thinks 912's are really cool). wink.gif

"Step away from the car"
championgt1
7K for that basterdized non running car? I would rather pony up the extra 5K for this one anyday.
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/805917128.html
Eric_Shea
I would rather pony up the extra 5K for this one anyday.

Exactly...
seanery
agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.