Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Start Car (out of gear) Car Moves
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
Ya! I get in this morning (a wee bit coolish out) and take it outta gear & start it. I get a slight movement. Starter is pulled down a bit like the battery is low. Still, the car outta gear but I push in the clutch for the 2nd try of starting it. It starts and I let out the clutch (still outta gear) & the engine drags down with a slight movement forward. What is happening here? This doesnt make sense to me. If it's outta gear there shouldn't be any way for forward propulsion.

........b
EdwardBlume
Check your shifter connection at the firewall. You may still be in gear but your shift coupler is toast. Pull back the boot and take a look.
Bruce Allert
You mean you can still be in gear a little bit? I thought it was all or none. I don't understand the gear meshing stuff! blink.gif

......b
Jake Raby
sometimes when gear oil is cold it has enough viscosity to actually move the gears slightly.... thats what causes this, I see it alot.
redshift
You have a rare automatic! Use F-type fluid!

smile.gif

Don't.

M
EdwardBlume
Sorry I misread your post.... so your car lurches while its in neutral? If so its not in neutral then... right? Unless them ugly garden knomes are playing a trick on you laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
Growing up with bugs and teeners in Michigan this always happened.

Jake nailed it: Cold Gear Lube.

E.
Dave_Darling
I've even seen the effect on a warm summer's day... The car was idling on a lift, both rear wheels in the air. One of them was turning slowly. If you grabbed it, it stopped easily, but the other one slowly started to turn. If you grabbed both, they would stop. When you let go, the one would eventually start to turn again. It was quite weird, but not abnormal.

--DD
airsix
You can also see this effect on the hiway. You will often see 4x4's going down the road and the front driveshaft is spinning. They aren't in 4wheel drive - the shaft is free-wheeling. It's just the 'stiction' of the gear oil between a driven part and a non-driven part.

-Ben M.

ps - stiction isn't really a word as far as I know, but it gives you the right idea.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(airsix @ Feb 2 2004, 04:08 PM)

ps - stiction isn't really a word as far as I know, but it gives you the right idea.

Sticktion like suckage cool.gif..... well, you know beer.gif

I've had this happen even in the warmer months first start of the day. I was getting ready to crawl under & adjust sumpin smile.gif thanks guys for releiving the stress beer.gif

.......b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.