Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche decal crests
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
carreraguy
Hi guys,
Attached are pics of two decal crests; one I think is an older style and one newer. Any info you can provide re: dates used and applications? I think the older one was more of a "racing" application but I'm not sure.
Thanks,
Tom

"Newer"
Click to view attachment

"Older"
Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
The only decal crests that I'm aware of were on 911RS lightweights.

Probably wide spread on various racing vehicles but, I'm not up on that sector enough to comment on it.

I have one on my car that is supposed to be original... neither of those look original though.
carreraguy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 22 2008, 10:47 PM) *

The only decal crests that I'm aware of were on 911RS lightweights.

Probably wide spread on various racing vehicles but, I'm not up on that sector enough to comment on it.

I have one on my car that is supposed to be original... neither of those look original though.

Thanks Eric! Any pics of your decal available for reference?
As I recall, the "older" one was taken at Historics on a Porsche racer, can't remember which one (too many nice cars!).
The "newer" one I bought at a swap meet a few years ago where the seller told me it was "period correct" for a 70's Porsche.
Later,

1970 Neun vierzehn
Tom,
I've got some photos from PCA Parades in '78 and '81 that show the "older" crest on a 917 (Gulf) and a Carrera 6/906 (no livery colors). I've a couple of the older crests in a box somewhere that date back to my joining PCA back in 1976.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
Aspen '78
carreraguy
Thnaks!
I'd love to find an authentic one from the 70's like the "older" one!
sixnotfour
back in 2005 on pelican they were 6.50 , lasted about 3 years in weather , just put a new one on.
I dont know if he still sells em.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=159583
Eric_Shea
the seller told me it was "period correct" for a 70's Porsche.
Later

He was probably referring to the color of the bars. Earlier cars had orange bars. Those (orange bars) in badge form go for around $400-500 bucks now.

I'll go snap a pic of what I have.
Eric_Shea
Here's mine:

Click to view attachment

The one Jeff posted is correct. You can see the small white lines separating the quadrants and the imitation beveled edges.

wub.gif (sorry, couldn't resist... can't wait until the teener is done so I can have a pair!)

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Eric, Is yours a decal or emblem ? where did you get it ?
I like it.
Eric_Shea
Decal. You can see by the edges it seems to have shrunk over the years. That extreme outer edge is adhesive residue.

I honestly can't remember but I think it may have been Dave Bugliagilaigia (sic) biggrin.gif

As repros go, you can't beat the one's JC had for $6.50. I hope he can make more. I sent him and email and told him I'd be interested in "quantities".
sixnotfour
Mine faded in the rainy weather yours shrunk up due to sunny weather.
Looks exactly the same now that I look closer.
sixnotfour
I saw these on ebay and spaced and missed the auction end, not sure if were OG or not
Eric_Shea
The mane on the horsey is the giveaway. I doubt any originals exist (I'm sure maybe a few but...).

I washed the car today and the residue will come off, I'm just afraid of buffing too hard on the clear around there. You'd have to get close (as with the camera) to really notice it.

I'll let you guys know if John get's back to me.
carreraguy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 23 2008, 05:33 PM) *

The mane on the horsey is the giveaway. I doubt any originals exist (I'm sure maybe a few but...).

I washed the car today and the residue will come off, I'm just afraid of buffing too hard on the clear around there. You'd have to get close (as with the camera) to really notice it.

I'll let you guys know if John get's back to me.

Thanks Eric - I assume you're referring to John Colasante mentioned in the earlier post and thread?
Later,
Eric_Shea
Thanks Eric - I assume you're referring to John Colasante mentioned in the earlier post and thread?

Sim. wink.gif
dempwolf@pctribe.com
Talking about decals, crests and now I'm adding script. The ID on the back of our /6's was not on my car when I got it. I've been looking for these emblems and found them on page 118 of the Auto Atlanta catalogue. I see what must have been on the car originally the 914-6 and then the VW circle and then PORSCHE. Why am I having a hard time deciding to find one and put it on my car? I know it would be correct for the car. Probably the same reason only a few folks bought the $80,000 VW sedan a few years back, With that big round VW logo on the trunk. What to do??
Eric_Shea
If it was a US delivery then it would simply have 914-6.

As you move along toward your more period correct GT look car you may want the porscheVW914-6 logo. What is seen on many GT's is a 356 hub cap badge over the lock hole and the porscheVW914-6 emblem.

None were delivered with the crests.
dempwolf@pctribe.com
Click to view attachmentThis is what I would like on the back of my car, just don't like the VW association
dempwolf@pctribe.com
The originality question is did all '72 914-6 leave the factory with the following 914-6(VW)PORSCHE
And did the 916's leave looking like the image in a previous post?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dempwolf@pctribe.com @ Oct 3 2008, 10:40 PM) *

The originality question is did all '72 914-6 leave the factory with the following 914-6(VW)PORSCHE
And did the 916's leave looking like the image in a previous post?

I'm not aware of any 72 sixes brought to these shores originally (could be incorrest, I'm just not aware of any).

What I can attest to is that NO 914's came to this country legally (aside from a 916 or 2) with any VW markings on them.

If a 914 "anything" doesn't have side marker lights, it's either bogus or imported from a private source.

US models either said "914", "914-1.7", "914-1.8". "914-2.0", or "914-6".
Pat
dempwolf@pctribe.com
Pat thanks; and European models said what? Also did the European 914's have side markers?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dempwolf@pctribe.com @ Oct 5 2008, 10:07 AM) *

Pat thanks; and European models said what? Also did the European 914's have side markers?

To my knowledge, no euro 14's had side markers. Only the US models suffered from that indignity!

Also to my knowledge, all euro 914s were labelled as "VW-Porsche" something.
Pat
dempwolf@pctribe.com
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 6 2008, 06:22 PM) *

QUOTE(dempwolf@pctribe.com @ Oct 5 2008, 10:07 AM) *

To my knowledge, no euro 14's had side markers. Only the US models suffered from that indignity!

Also to my knowledge, all euro 914s were labelled as "VW-Porsche" something.
Pat

According to Auto Atlanta they have 4 original 914-6(VW)Porsche badges left they are now $175 since one sold on e-bay recently for $250, but seeing an oportunity by next April they will have reproductions probably costing around $75 I was told.
So I got one, but nobody but you Pat will know mine's an original.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.