Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need to replace left rear corner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlestep
Click to view attachment

The left rear corner appears to be almost .2 short (over hange about the light assembly) and the channel above. I didn't find it until I placed my trunk lid into position.
I need the left rear corner and channel over the left tail light assembly.
See photo.
tks,
Dave sawzall-smiley.gif

sww914
In the 70's, car body panel alignment wasn't perfect. If you go to any car show, look at any of the unrestored cars and you'll see that the gaps on cars were all a little weird. Also, there are countless stories here about 205 or 215 (or whatever) tires fitting fine on one side and not the other.
There's no way that I would cut that quarter panel. You can adjust the decklid fore & aft to split the difference between the R & L rear corner alignment, then tap gently in on the long one, tap gently out on the decklid corner, and tap gently in on the other decklid corner.
Everyone expects Honda style gaps now, dead perfect and even all the way around the car on every single car but that was not the reality when these cars were made. The modern jigs hold every part in perfect alignment and they're then welded together in perfect order with a robotic arm.
I once had to lengthen the door of a Jag XK by 1". WE were restoring an unmolested car but one door was rusted out. We had 6 doors to choose from and they were all different lengths, all 1" to 1 1/2" too short. We cut up 2 doors and sectioned them together to get one to work. The R side door opening was 1 1/4" shorter than the L side door opening on a car that had never been hit. The factory had made 1 door that was long enough to fit this oddball body.
dlestep
QUOTE(sww914 @ Aug 23 2008, 06:04 PM) *

In the 70's, car body panel alignment wasn't perfect. If you go to any car show, look at any of the unrestored cars and you'll see that the gaps on cars were all a little weird. Also, there are countless stories here about 205 or 215 (or whatever) tires fitting fine on one side and not the other.
There's no way that I would cut that quarter panel. You can adjust the decklid fore & aft to split the difference between the R & L rear corner alignment, then tap gently in on the long one, tap gently out on the decklid corner, and tap gently in on the other decklid corner.
Everyone expects Honda style gaps now, dead perfect and even all the way around the car on every single car but that was not the reality when these cars were made. The modern jigs hold every part in perfect alignment and they're then welded together in perfect order with a robotic arm.
I once had to lengthen the door of a Jag XK by 1". WE were restoring an unmolested car but one door was rusted out. We had 6 doors to choose from and they were all different lengths, all 1" to 1 1/2" too short. We cut up 2 doors and sectioned them together to get one to work. The R side door opening was 1 1/4" shorter than the L side door opening on a car that had never been hit. The factory had made 1 door that was long enough to fit this oddball body.

I'm not trying to be anal about it, but when the tail light assembly sits outboard of where it should be and when one looks at the vertical wall between the tail lights, the left rear is angled forward, when in fact it should be vertical, following the curve of the rear (ref: the curve of the truck lid). Something is not right with this corner. I had a 73 before this and it wasn't like this. I am restoring this car after it has sat in my garage for 10 yrs, and I want things to be clean after all of this time. In the past few months I have compared my car to other around my area and none of them have this problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.