Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Still sitting lower on the back left
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stepuptotheMike
So, I replaced the shocks and springs on my car. New 140lb springs and Bilsteins. The old springs were stockers and seemed pretty light as well as worn out. The car would sit a little bit lower on the back left side from time to time.... figured it was the springs and shocks, since it would sometimes sit level across the rear.

Well, it's still doing it. Doesn't appear to be so bad, but it's there. I guess now I'm thinking bushing? Next worse case, ovaling of the suspension ear? Followed by full on crack?

I guess I'm just looking to confirm my next target. Am I on the right track or am I chasing my tail? headbang.gif

-Mike
sww914
A very out of adjustment RF suspension height could contribute. You could try lowering the RF a turn or two and see what happens. Count the number of turns so that you can reverse what you've done.
mack914-6
I have the same problem. Since the 6 convserion it appears that the left rear sags a bit. It has a 83 SC front end, but since the conversion it's lower on the left rear corner.
Mack
drgchapman
My first 914 was bent, sat low on the right front...........
Check the tub also.
orange914
QUOTE(sww914 @ Aug 23 2008, 05:16 PM) *

A very out of adjustment RF suspension height could contribute. You could try lowering the RF a turn or two and see what happens. Count the number of turns so that you can reverse what you've done.

even a twisted sway bar will effect the stance. like sww914 said front can fool you too.
SirAndy
disconnect all swaybars, remove everything from the trunks, then measure the height on both *front* corners.

I usually use the head of the large bottom bolt on the crossmember on each side as reference.

If the height in the front is off left/right, the rear will be off as well ...

There's a reason why people cornerbalance their cars ...
shades.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif Make sure all corners are fine. Then take your car and have it corner balanced.
jcd914

I have set up ride hieghts and wheel weights on alot of 914s and it is not uncommon to find a 914 sitting a little lower (1/4inch) in the left rear.

That said, if your sits a different hieghts at different times I think I would be looking at bushings (incl. sway bar bushings) and or shocks that are sticky or binding. Also check and make sure your springs are seated all the way into the spring seats, they can get twisted and sort of unscrew from the spring.

Don't trust body panels to judge ride hieght. On flat surface measure from chasiss/suspension points to the ground. I always measured from the top of the frt cross beam to the ground in front. And from the bottom center of the front of trailing arm in the rear.

Get the corner wieghts checked and adjusted. You can have an almost flat sitting car that has the corner wieghts all wrong and you can have a car the sits low or high and one side that has the wieghts almost perfect.

Jim
stepuptotheMike
Thanks for the input guys. I'll go measure all 4 corners from chassis/suspension points and check how far off I am.

I did jump up in the trunk and shake shake shake piratenanner.gif the rear end. It squeaks on the left side when I really give it to it.

-Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.