Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog light flash for 914/6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smontanaro
JWest Engineering sells a little fog light flash harness. This is apparently for 4-cylinder cars only. Can something like this be done for sixes?

Thx,

Skip

seanery
skip, have you talked to James to see if there is a way to make it work in a -6?

Do you know what's different and why it won't work?
smontanaro
Nope, I just trusted what it said: "This item works with all years of 914/4 (does not work with original 914/6)."

Skip

seanery
I would contact him directly.
ArtechnikA
/6's are wired to flash driving lights with the high beams but AFAIK only Euro cars got driving lights. So there's a couple of options.

Probably the easiest would be to move the 'flash' lead from the lever off the 'high beam' input to the stock relay and move it to the 'low beam' input. That'd flash the low beams (and therefore the fogs if they're switched on) but since they're retracted anyway - no matter...

In fact, what I recall is that that's the way US cars worked -anyway- out of the box. You do have to have the fog light switch pulled out to enable them, tho.

So try that first - it may already work the way you want - which is why there's isn't a separate relay for the /6 - the factory already put it there...
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 24 2008, 09:18 AM) *

/6's are wired to flash driving lights with the high beams but AFAIK only Euro cars got driving lights.

My Euro 6 have driving lights that only come on with the high beams, however do flash without either the high or low beams on.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Aug 25 2008, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 24 2008, 09:18 AM) *

/6's are wired to flash driving lights with the high beams but AFAIK only Euro cars got driving lights.

My Euro 6 have driving lights that only come on with the high beams, however do flash without either the high or low beams on.

I think if you look into the headlight buckets some dark night, you'll find the high beams light up with the stalk held back, whether they're up on not... (IOW - the 'flash' lights 'em all up and doesn't know if they're retracted or not. This is straight out of the 911...)
smontanaro
Sorry I forgot about this topic for a few weeks. I finally remembered to try it out the other day. With the lights off I turned on the fog lights. Nothing happened (as expected). Then I blipped the high beam switch. Presto! The fog lights flashed!

So I guess the moral of the story is I should leave my fog lights on all the time, then I can flash the MG-TDs and early 911s I see from time-to-time. (Don't see many 914s around Chicago at all...)

Skip

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.