Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 number & color question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
jkp2240
Hi
I am looking at a 1970 914/6, it has vin sticker and metal tag but numbers in the trunk do not match. Is this correct?
Also, code is 14 for signal orange, but it looks like tangerine?
Is that possible they mad an error in the tag?
smontanaro
The number in the trunk is the body/chassis number. It will differ from the VIN. On my /6 there is no number on the Karmann plate on the driver side door jamb. I was told recently that this is correct.

Skip

9146FAN
If you're referring to the front trunk VIN plate, the VIN will match the A-pillar VIN and the sticker in the drivers door jam.

If you're referring to the number stamped on the floor of the rear trunk, I agree with Skip; the chassis number will not match the VIN.

My understanding is that the cars were manufactured in Austria and the Chassis Number was stamped on their assembly line. The cars received their VIN's afterwords at Zuffenhausen by Porsche. This is why the Chassis Numbers never matche the VIN's.

Knowing the German's, I doubt that the color number on your car was wrong. Do you have a pic?

My six has no number stamped on the Karman plate.

Hope this helps.

Eddie

Gustl
QUOTE(9146FAN @ Aug 24 2008, 05:11 AM) *

My understanding is that the cars were manufactured in Austria ...

unfortunately not biggrin.gif

the bodies came from the same production line than the 914-4 bodies
that was is Osnabrück, Germany - at Karmann

bye1.gif Gustl
Gustl
QUOTE(jkp2240 @ Aug 24 2008, 01:38 AM) *

I am looking at a 1970 914/6, it has vin sticker and metal tag but numbers in the trunk do not match. Is this correct?

yepp, that's correct
the VIN should look like 914.0.43.xxxx
the body number in the rear trunk should look like 13xxxx

QUOTE(jkp2240 @ Aug 24 2008, 01:38 AM) *

Also, code is 14 for signal orange, but it looks like tangerine?
Is that possible they mad an error in the tag?

it's more likely that your car got repainted once

take a close look at the D.O.T. sticker (driver's side B-column)
what colour do you see under the stamped out holes?

bye1.gif Gustl
jkp2240
The dot sticker looks orange to tangerine color. I have not received the car yet but when I do I can remove the karmin plate and get a better look. Does orange fade to red or tangerine?
Gustl
QUOTE(jkp2240 @ Aug 24 2008, 03:21 PM) *

Does orange fade to red or tangerine?

not really idea.gif

my car still has some original signal orange paint in the engine bay as well as the front trunk / gas tank area - and it still looks clearly signal orange, but no longer shiny

bye1.gif Gustl
mel reckling
QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 23 2008, 11:00 PM) *

QUOTE(9146FAN @ Aug 24 2008, 05:11 AM) *

My understanding is that the cars were manufactured in Austria ...

unfortunately not biggrin.gif

the bodies came from the same production line than the 914-4 bodies
that was is Osnabrück, Germany - at Karmann

bye1.gif Gustl

When I first joined here and was entering my car's info into the data base I searched the trunk on my 72 for a number in the area described and couldn't see one. Did it again with a friend, still no number. Does that mean because it never left Osnabruck it never received one?

Does anyone here have any info on the 72's assembly and how it differed from the Zuffenhausen ones? I'd kinda like to know what they skimped on to make these 'watered-down' versions.

1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(mel reckling @ Aug 28 2008, 05:44 AM) *

When I first joined here and was entering my car's info into the data base I searched the trunk on my 72 for a number in the area described and couldn't see one. Did it again with a friend, still no number.

Mel,
Where exactly did you look? On my '70/4, I had to look real close with a flashlight to see the #s stamped in the rear trunk. They were so faint, that even after owning the car for 30 years and cleaning, detailing and waxing the trunk many times, I never knew the chassis # was there until I read about it on this Forum. The # could be centered, just in front of the trunk lock latch, or off to the right, in front of the t/l assembly.

Paul
davep
From 1971 it was in front of the right taillight as Paul says. It should be close to 1320107.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.