Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: vlave adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mt 914
I have been working on my 1974 1.8 L 914 foe 4 years and finally got it so it is road worthy. I need to adjust the valves but need a good teck article or other info to do it. any help would be great beerchug.gif
toon1
look in the classics section on this site there is a the "capn's valve adjustment proceedure".

The one I use is to put the gearbox is 5th. jack up one side of the car, remove both valve covers. Spin the wheel that is in the air till you see a rocker depress all the way( it does not matter what rocker it is), adjust the valve lash and the opposite side of the rocker that is depressed.

I.E. if #1 ex. is depressed all the way, adjust the #3ex valve lash

Internally, the valves opposite each other share a common cam lobe. If one is fully depressed, the other is on the back of the cam.

It takes a bit longer thatn the capn's proceedure but it can still be done in about 20-25mins.

lotus_65
another resource:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914world.htm
type47
stubby screwdriver and a 14mm stubby wrench and small hands. the only place i remember a 14mm anything on a 914 is the jam nut on the valve adjust screws.

hah! the above guys missed:

welcome.png
SGB
I bought a remote starter at harbor freight and use the procedure written at the end of the pelicanparts reference above. Which is ALSO just like toon says: "adjusting the valve known to be totally on the base of the cam". The pelican parts article just gives the numbers in a table (that I have tacked to the wall) like "when these two valves are rocking, you can adjust these two other valves", walking you all the way up and down through each set of valves- since you can adjust two at a time. The remote starter was $12, and I take the tires off so I can;t turn a wheel.
SGB
I have 13mm locknuts on mine. Maybe because they are swivil feet screws? So it is possible to be 13 or 14 mm aparently. The 911 valve adjust (swivil-feetz) screws are a pretty common upgrade
Dave_Darling
Early rocker arms use 13mm jam-nuts; later ones use 14mm ones. I think the change happens at the start of the 73 model year, but I could be wrong.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.