Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 Check oil level hot or cold?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
angerosa
When my car is cold, oil level is at the min line. When it's hot it seems to be at the max line (maybe slightly above). Engine is always off when I check. What is the correct way.
type47
hmmm, this is the opposite of what i'd expect. i'd think that when cold, oil has drained from the engine to the sump and would be higher than when hot and oil is up in the engine. i have no clue except that maybe you have the dipstick upside down idea.gif rolleyes.gif

as long as it's between the lines, you'd think it would be OK.

PS. stopped by roots yesterday on the chance that you were still working on your car. we talked about the work you two had done. smilie_pokal.gif
angerosa
Yup she's all ready for ECC as long as nothing else breaks.

I don't get it about the oil either. I was thinking that after I've been driving maybe oil is splashing up into the dipstick tube and I'm scraping it when I pull the dipstick out. I'm parked in my garage right now with concrete floor so I know it's level. I check and I'm at the min line but I've checked before after driving and I'm at the max.
type47
as i pull the dipstick, i wipe the oil off with a rag/paper towel at the end of the dipstick tube then reinsert for a second and pull it out again. idea.gif i do that for the exact reason you stated that oil would be splashed up the stick and give a higher reading. just a possibility.
r_towle
Check the oil when cold.
Oil expands when hot.

Fill to top line when car is cold.

Rich
angerosa
I had that thought too but approximately 4 quarts grow to 5 of 10w 30? I've owned many cars and none of them had that type of variation. confused24.gif
r_towle
its air/oil cooled.
The oil gets alot hotter in an aircooled motor than in a watercooled motor.

Rich
Rand
There's an exception with some sixes.
But with fours, check oil when cold - or at least after it has sat long enough for the oil to drain down.
Brando
On stock 1.8... Check oil level while car is warm, engine off, sitting on a flat and level surface.

Oil level will read erroneous if checked while running - oil sloshes around.

~B

QUOTE(angerosa @ Aug 24 2008, 11:21 AM) *

When my car is cold, oil level is at the min line. When it's hot it seems to be at the max line (maybe slightly above). Engine is always off when I check. What is the correct way.

dw914er
QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 24 2008, 02:40 PM) *

as i pull the dipstick, i wipe the oil off with a rag/paper towel at the end of the dipstick tube then reinsert for a second and pull it out again. idea.gif i do that for the exact reason you stated that oil would be splashed up the stick and give a higher reading. just a possibility.

agree.gif
root
Jason,
Just wandering.... since you just changed the oil and drove a few miles what's the oil look like. In other words how dark is it? It should be nearly clear and more difficult to read on the stick than well used motor oil.... the 'root'
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.