Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to do in California
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FlatSix
To cut a very long story short...

The post by Andy saying he'd been out driving in his 914 and got sunburn, numerous other threads saying how winter sucks etc.

Well, I've booked a ticket and am flying out to LA on Thursday. I'm staying with a friend of mine near san Diego next weekend and leaving there on the morning of Monday 9th.

My plane leave San Francisco on Friday 13th so I have a few days to see California.

So my questions are:
What 914 places should I visit?
Where should I stay in San Francisco (there is a budget!)
Does anyone want to meet up for a beer (or two) at a hooters. I've just got to visit... beerchug.gif

Andy
fiid
Here is a list of stuff I would recommend - I doubt you can see all of it.

I don't know LA very well, but it's fun to see the chinese theatre, and there are some great art museums if you are in to that. The Getty is fantastic, probably more interesting for the architecture and design of the museum than the pieces it houses (if you've been to an english stately home, you've seen a lot of it before!)

Moving up the coast, if you are going to drive from LA to SF, you should visit the former home of William Randolf Hearst - known as Heart Castle. It is a magical and wierd place; he collected lots of historical artifacts from all over the world and made a house decorated with them (and designed with them in mind).

Once you are there, you should drive the Pacific Coast Highway from there up to Carmel and Monterey, and take a look around. Carmel is a pretty little redwoody town with nice shops and restaurants. In Monterey bay is a super deeeeeep ocean trench (it's almost as deep as the hell hole) so the aquarium there has lots of really interesting and wierd pacific sea life.

I then recommend visiting Santa Cruz (which I recently learned is where the Lost Boys was filmed :-) ).

After Santa Cruz, I would visit the Bonny Doon vineyard (famous for their desert wine "Vin de Glaciere" and other wierd wines, including their Fromboise) in the Santa Cruz hills, and then the David Bruce (Famous for Pinot Noir) winery, followed by a jaunt up skyline drive - take woodside to 101 and you can visit Rich Bontempi, and Brad at High Performance House before tearing up to San Fran on either 280 or the PCH. The PCH will take you past Half Moon Bay (pretty sea town), and Mavericks (home of big wave surfing), and more yummy twisty roads.

I have a variant of the 49 mile drive (tour of san francisco) that I usually take out of towners on which goes via Lombard Street, the painted ladies, twin peaks, castro street, etc, etc, which I can take you on when you are in the city. I would look for a travellodge - which is where my parents stayed when in town. The cost issue will be eased by the US's beleagered currency situation.

I also recommend spending a day in wine country (I usually head for northern sonoma, which has more boutiqey wineries that are cheaper and less annoyingly pretensious than the napa lot, but napa is worth seeing too).

Yosimite. Drive there at night and stay in their hotel thingo (not the expensive one). Wake up in the morning and be shocked because you are staring at a 7000 foot rock face. Definately worth a trip, but I haven't been there in winter, it can get hairy up in the sierras when there's snow about.

Lake Tahoe is similarly beautiful, scenery-wise, and worth a trip. Due to the fact that it is pissing down outside, it should have some great power skiing in a few days - if you like to ski....

As for 914 places, my route north takes a lot of good roads, there are some great roads in the East Bay, and also up north towards Napa. The roads here are pretty good, very very twisty, but generally fairly rough surfaces. If you want a truly excellent road, head to Aberystwyth via the Elan Valley.

I'll post again if I remember anything else. Let me know when you are here and we can hang out. (I am also a brit, btw).
FlatSix
fiid, what a fantastic reply. Thank you. I'm so looking forward to my trip now.

With the time constraints I have, I think I'll only have time for the coastal stuff you mention. There seems to be some quality things to see on the trip up the Pacific Coast Highway.

Can we organise a 914Club get together, say on the evening of Wednesday 11th? I should be up to San Francisco by then. I'll buy the first round. beer.gif
I'll have to take your advice on location. It would be so good to actually meet some other 914Club members.

Andy
Mueller
Hey Andy........

We are always up for an "excuse" to hang out at Hooters in SF beer3.gif
FlatSix
If it wasn't for this board, I wouldn't have known about Hooters.

Can we all meet there, PLEASE?

As I said, I'll buy the first round beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
fiid
I can totally spend an eveing at hooters again - in fact Jenny and I were talking on the weekend about the need to do another evening event there. I am totally down with a Wednesday night. I might even bring my car.... :-)

l8r,

Fiid.
Brad Roberts
Hooters it is. Wed. the 11th. We will nail this when it gets closer. I just put a reminder in Outlook.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 2 2004, 02:59 PM)
Hooters it is.

mhmmmm, Hoooters ....

i should be able to make it,
Andy
aufaber
For us it's getting kinda cold and wet this next week, but it'll be like english spring wink.gif .

Definately at Highway 1 (PCH) all the way up, at least from Santa Monica. Hs a few detours through towns, but it's a nice drive if you haven't done it. It'll also take all day.
fiid
Chyeah! We tried to do hearst castle and Monterey Aquarium in a day. NFWay!. W got to heard castle at 2:00 or so and got on the last tour of the day. Got to Carmel at about 7 for dinner and didn't get home until 10/11. I would plan on 2 or 3 days to do the trip and take in the sights.

If you get pulled over, use your english drivers license. Beware - the california cops are single-handedly trying to make up for our budget deficit, so really keep the speed down. I have never seen cops on the PCH, but I did see a Highway Patrol car on Woodside the other day, so it may be hapenning. Watch out.

OH! And get travel insurance in the UK. It ought to cover your healthcare here in the US in case anything unexpected happens.

Fiid.
Eric_Shea
Where should I stay in San Francisco (there is a budget!)

I "Priceline" San Mateo and get the San Mateo Marriott everytime. $55.00!!

Did the same in Lake Tahoe and got Cal-Neva for $65.00

I'll be in San Mateo the 8th through the 11th.
Eric_Shea
It'll also take all day.

No way... it takes two otherwise you're hate'n it. Especially from LA. I left there way early in the am and made it to Monterey around 9:00-9:30. Missed a bunch of cool stuff (Big Sir) driving around cool 30mph curves IN THE DARK! mad.gif

There's some cool hotels just past the castle (if'n I recall) that are perched on the cliffs. Some Cali's here could probably name a few. (I'd be interested for future reference)

My $.02 Hope it helps. Maybe I'll see you there.
Brad Roberts
Eric,

Can you make the Hooters event that night ?? Its about 20 minutes north of San Mateo. Make sure you stop by and see us, we are located 10 minutes from San Mateo.

B
Joe Bob
Look REALLY close at the SF Hooter's gals....you NEVER can be too sure it has the right plumbing.....

Hey Brad....find that targa top piece?
Eric_Shea
I'm going to try. I'll be working and doing client dinners most of the nights. Right now my Sunday is "VERY" open. I'll get in around 1-1:30? I'll be looking for the teener in the Taxi line outside SFO beer.gif

I'm going to shoot for Hooters on Wed... I heard the food there was great!
FlatSix
I "Priceline" San Mateo and get the San Mateo Marriott everytime. $55.00!!

Eric,

When using priceline do you select a 3 or 4 star hotel to get the Marriott?
Red-Beard
Where will you be in San Diego? Maybe a few of us can get together. beerchug.gif
Bleyseng
I use Orbitz and Sidestep to get the best internet prices. Last year, we stayed downtown in a decent Hotel for $75 a night. Close to everything, walked to Chinatown (you have to see that) grabed a literail train to the Waterfront...
Get your rental car setup online too as its cheaper than just showing up at the desk.

I think the food is pretty bad at HOOters but the view is excellent! Ah hell, you are from England so you will love it.

Geoff
Jeffs9146
Yamashiro Restaurant in Hollywood

You can get passes to Magic Castle if you stay at the Magic Hotel

PM me if you have any interest in the above mentioned links!

Jeff
Eric_Shea
When using priceline do you select a 3 or 4 star hotel to get the Marriott?

Eric_Shea
I think the food is pretty bad at HOOters but the view is excellent!

twas a joke... icon8.gif barf.gif
Jenny
Brad, are you still going to order the chicken sandwich from Hooters?? icon8.gif barf.gif

Jen
Jenny
Damn! You just narrowly beat me to it. Great minds think alike! We even used the same smilies.

Jen
aufaber
QUOTE(Jenny @ Feb 3 2004, 11:40 AM)
Brad, are you still going to order the chicken sandwich from Hooters?? icon8.gif barf.gif

Jen

You're fired.
FlatSix
I've booked the Marriott on Amphlett Blvd. for the nights of Wednesday 11th and Thursday 12th.

Is there any chance someone can give me a ride to Hooters in their 914? confused24.gif

BTW Eric, I used priceline as you suggested. smilie_pokal.gif

Andy
Eric_Shea
Great minds think alike! We even used the same smilies

beerchug.gif

Andy, Priceline rocks huh? If'n I can make the Wed. night event then I'll need a ride from there as well... Any 914 station wagons out there?
Rich Bontempi
HOOTERS! HOOTERS! HOOTERS
ChrisReale
Im there. beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Rich Bontempi @ Feb 4 2004, 07:44 PM)

OMFG!!! lol2.gif

I just had a visual of Rich chanting "HOOTERS! HOOTERS! HOOTERS!"

ROTFLMAO!!

--DD
fiid
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 5 2004, 09:43 AM)
QUOTE(Rich Bontempi @ Feb 4 2004, 07:44 PM)

OMFG!!! lol2.gif

I just had a visual of Rich chanting "HOOTERS! HOOTERS! HOOTERS!"

ROTFLMAO!!

--DD

I want that on videotape. LOL

I can come get you from the hotel if noone is coming up that way, but you have to promise not to laugh at my car.

Fiid.
Joe Bob
Caption for DDDD's avatar....

"Dude, where's my car?"
Eric_Shea
Can you make the Hooters event that night ?? Its about 20 minutes north of San Mateo. Make sure you stop by and see us, we are located 10 minutes from San Mateo

Looking good... were is this white trash hell hole (Hooters that is, not HPH)? laugh.gif Are they going to be showing NASCAR re-runs there? Is Janet Jackson coming? barf.gif

I have a digital cam that will take some 17 sec mpegs. If Rich shows we'll get the "Hooters Chant" to disc.

Anybody up for a brew on Sunday? (check San Mateo thread)

Hey Z... DD's avatar always seems to remind me of Radar O'Riley looking for choppers at the beginning of the M.A.S.H. re-runs unsure.gif
ChrisReale
Hooters is on Fishermans warf, I believe. beer3.gif
FlatSix
I'm here in California now. Enjoying the warm sunny weather. cool_shades.gif

Fiid,

Can I take you up that offer of a ride if it's not out of your way. It would save me having to find out where hooters was. Anyway, why would I laugh at your car? It is safe isn't it.

Andy
Bleyseng
Look on a tourist map, Hooters is at Fishermans Wharf. Thats where the sourdough bread, Chocolate shops, and seafood is in Frisco. Take a trolly down or those train thingys.
Dont miss Chinatown and have Dim Sum for lunch, mmm

Geoff
Howard
Andy, still planning to stop by here? Let me know, we can post and try to collect some more 914 perverts.
Rich Bontempi
Well Dave, At least you've had one thrill this week! LOL
Eric_Shea
Confirmed? Hooters in the Warf district? Time? confused24.gif

Andy... we're staying at the same hotel. Do you have a ride yet?
Brad Roberts
Lets shoot for 7pm beerchug.gif

I'll nail this on Monday.

B
fiid
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 7 2004, 09:32 PM)
Confirmed? Hooters in the Warf district? Time? confused24.gif

Andy... we're staying at the same hotel. Do you have a ride yet?

I'll bring the flat four powered 4 seater.....
Howard
probably should have added to this post, but Andy is on his way to San Fran and Hooters. Here his is with my 914 after short canyon blast.

link
Eric_Shea
Stop cross posting links... I'm getting dizzy(er) blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.