Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: ROW 1971 914-6, Factory Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Lavanaut
I looked into this car a few months back but in the end it was just too far outside my budget. Looks to be a nice car and I know that it has lots of photos of the recent restoration, COA, etc. I hope that someone we know ends up with it...thing is gorgeous.

This is not the car that was being sold by TruSpeed a couple months ago.

Link. wub.gif drooley.gif
bcheney
Damn....that is one beautiful car! The 6x16 fuch upgrade really looks nice with the polished look.
Gustl
would love to see a better door panel at a US$ 40k car tho dry.gif

IPB Image

Lavanaut
Agreed. The gauge on the left side of the dash is a bummer too. Car should be getting very close to perfect at this price point.
Gustl
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Aug 26 2008, 07:50 AM) *

The gauge on the left side of the dash is a bummer too. Car should be getting very close to perfect at this price point.

agree.gif
JeffBowlsby
I don't follow the sixes, but its this kind of ad that is such a sham its a disgrace, expecially to the inexperienced eye. 40K is above an extreme amount for any 914 except maybe the two in the museum. What is the highest price paid for a six to date? Its got to be significantly less than 40-large, which should buy a showroom, mint six these days, the car should smell new at that price point and be thoroughly correct and original. This car, as nice as it is, is not worthy of its description.

What part of 'original' does this seller not understand? It is not an 'original' car, its a nice restoration maybe, but not original. The paint is not original, it has been resprayed. Its an Italian delivery car, where are the italian lenses? The COA says it has a black velour luggage compartment, the photos do not indicate it. The optional equipment Fuchs are not listed on the COA...whats with the goofy clock to the left of the dash and the non-correct radio? Is that original paint on the engine lid torsion springs? Repro carpet? Missing factory stickers? Bah humbug...Sellers, be truthful and stop exaggerating. Its a nice car, but not 40K nice.

/rant off I feel better now biggrin.gif

smg914
I'm thinking that the Luggage Comartment in Black Velour is another one of those COA blunders.
9146FAN
for that kinda money, there should be a fog-light switch dry.gif
Jon Pletcher
Two Blue Italians availible at the same time? No affiliation, just seemed too odd to not mention. I'd love to have either!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...d=p4506.c0.m245

Never posted a link b-4, sure doesn't look right.
6freak
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 26 2008, 12:07 AM) *

I don't follow the sixes, but its this kind of ad that is such a sham its a disgrace, expecially to the inexperienced eye. 40K is above an extreme amount for any 914 except maybe the two in the museum. What is the highest price paid for a six to date? Its got to be significantly less than 40-large, which should buy a showroom, mint six these days, the car should smell new at that price point and be thoroughly correct and original. This car, as nice as it is, is not worthy of its description.

What part of 'original' does this seller not understand? It is not an 'original' car, its a nice restoration maybe, but not original. The paint is not original, it has been resprayed. Its an Italian delivery car, where are the italian lenses? The COA says it has a black velour luggage compartment, the photos do not indicate it. The optional equipment Fuchs are not listed on the COA...whats with the goofy clock to the left of the dash and the non-correct radio? Is that original paint on the engine lid torsion springs? Repro carpet? Missing factory stickers? Bah humbug...Sellers, be truthful and stop exaggerating. Its a nice car, but not 40K nice.

/rant off I feel better now biggrin.gif

I agree but if he gets that kinda dollars for that one the value of mine just went up piratenanner.gif
Lavanaut
Ohhhhhkay, may I please just put it out there that I never said it was worth the asking price. I agree with the general sentiment here that it's overpriced for its condition and level of originality. Price tag aside (it's only an asking price after all), I think it's a damn nice car. smile.gif

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 26 2008, 01:07 AM) *

I don't follow the sixes, but its this kind of ad that is such a sham its a disgrace, expecially to the inexperienced eye. 40K is above an extreme amount for any 914 except maybe the two in the museum. What is the highest price paid for a six to date? Its got to be significantly less than 40-large, which should buy a showroom, mint six these days, the car should smell new at that price point and be thoroughly correct and original.

Jeff, you wouldn't be saying this if you had joined me on my recent hunt for a factory six. "40K is above extreme amount for any 914 except maybe the two in the museum"? Hardly. You're talking about $55-60k, I kid you not. I would say that 75% or more of the sixes I came across that were for sale (and that was quite a few believe it or not, almost 15). Were $35k and up. A common asking price now is $37.5k-$40k. No shit! I had at least a few people tell me their car would not sell for less than $50k. Now whether or not we as an informed audience (using "we" loosly laugh.gif) think these cars are "worth" that much money is irrelevant if cars are exchanging hands at those prices. The question is whether or not they are. I know of one car that Andy went and looked at for me that sold for $37.5k. Andy described it as a nice car that needed some attention and was probably worth around $29k. Still it sold at $37k. Oh and the 44k mile "estate car", signal orange on eBay a few months ago closed bidding north of $38k. Otto's trying to get $55k right now for a full-blown restoration car. How much was that Adriatic Blue car at TruSpeed a couple months ago? $55k?

$40k's not as high as you think any more...at least not as an asking price. A couple years ago a $14k asking price would have seemed ridiculous for a /4, how many of those do you see now?

Now as far as calling this car "original"? I'm with you 100%. In addition to what's been mentioned already, didn't the Italian spec cars have shaved side markers?

Reid bye1.gif
smg914
Your right on Reid.

If a 911T can sell for over 50 grand, there is no reason why a 914-6 can't sell for the same or more.

Hold on to your hat fellows, the appreciation is far from over.
Speedmster

How much was that Adriatic Blue car at TruSpeed a couple months ago? $55k?
Reid bye1.gif

That TruSpeed car was listed on eBay too. They may indeed have been asking $55k for it, that I didn't know about. On eBay it had 39 bids and the reserve was not met at $36,100. If that is an indication of what the market is willing to pay for a really nice 914-6, then $50k asking prices out there are wasting their time in my opinion.

Personally I do not think that the car listed above would be worth more than $28k.

Clint
hwgunner
QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 25 2008, 11:42 PM) *

would love to see a better door panel at a US$ 40k car tho dry.gif

IPB Image

I was looking at the link that was posted and this pic has been removed from the group. Now that is BS if you ask me. ar15.gif

Greg808
I think the fact that it is a 1971 instead of a 1970
would add something to the value. popcorn[1].gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Speedmster @ Aug 29 2008, 12:29 AM) *

Personally I do not think that the car listed above would be worth more than $28k.

Could be.

OTOH, there are people who still think the original Speedster was overpriced at $2995 and are waiting for the values to dip below dealer list.
cannillo
This is Mike Cannillo from Cannillo Motorsports Ltd and a client of mine pointed out this post on my car. I just wanted to set the record straight on the car from my perspective. The 914/6 (VIN# 9141430159) I own IS spectacular. It's not perfect but it's the nicest one I've come across for sale at a realistic price in years.

To speak to some of the reply's. Yes, the passenger side door panel trim panel was sagging because thread unfurled. I had my interior shop remove the door panel and repair it. At that point I removed the picture from my website (showing the imperfection), because it was repaired. I'm not trying to mislead anyone, I can do better than that. Again, I did not mean to mislead anyone and I apologize if I did. I'll have a new set of pictures up soon. And regarding the comment of all original, I'll do my best to correct the text in my ads to more accurately to reflect the car (ie., the wheels were upgraded to 16's and so on...).

But in defense of the car, there are literally very few cars for sale in the US (or maybe even the world) restored to this standard for under $40,000. Just the paint work between prep and replacement trim bits was over $20,000. Plus the car was conservativley in very good condition to start with. And to let you guys know, I paid north of $30,000 for the car and own it for the mid thirties. And i thought I was lucky to own it. I knew about this car for years and always wanted it. When the oppurtunity came, I took it. I think I stole it.

I love these cars and have searching for the right one for years. And cars like this rarely exist today. And you guys are correct, most people who have them in this condition are asking north of forty and fifty. I think I'm being fair at my asking price. I've been told I'm light on my price by several dealers. And this is not a sale pitch for the car, I don't care if I sell it, it's a treasurer to have and own. The truth of the matter(and my problem with it) is it's too nice to drive and that's it's real short coming. I would have rather bought a really nice original (ie., engine etc...) 914/6 driver for $25,000, but they don't exist. So where do you go?

And I believe these cars are only heading north in value for several reason for which there's no time to talk about in this text. In any case, I appreciate the oppurtunity to respond and I'll do my best to properly represent my car for sale. Thanks

Mike Cannillo
carr914
Mike, welcome.png

T.C.
smg914
welcome.png (in a sarcastic tone)

Well said Mike. For some reason this has to be explained to our members every now and again. You just can't compare an average condition car or even an excellent condition car to a beyond excellent condition car. Beyond excellent 914-6's are extremely rare and will always demand a premium. A significantly high percentage of 914 owners have been complaining ever since 914-6 first hit the $20,000 mark, so you can only imagine their reaction now that they reached the $40,000 mark. Unfortunately this web site is not the right venue to advertise a beyond excellent car. I know because I tried it once and got the same reaction. Best of luck in selling your beautiful car. It will sell and you will get your price. Just not here.
cannillo
Yeah, thanks for your support guys. My intention was never to use this sight as an avenue to sell my car. I have plenty of other sites to do that. I also have a very good reputation to back it up. I just wanted to set the record straight and clear up the ambiguity on the car. We're doing the best that we can, trying to show off the car (it deserves it) in a good light and to prove value to support it's fair asking price.

Again, everyone (very few, I want to add) I've come across in similar condition to mine have asking prices around fifty. In my opinion, TODAY cars north of fifty should be perfect and close to Pebble Beach Standards. Again, just as a courtsey to the 914 world group. I paid $31,975 for the car and I'm a reputable dealer. I now own the car for the mid 30's with my extra costs pretaining to the car. This is now the correct market wholesale price. I'm a market maker and a real buyer, everyone can rely on my numbers. This is where Truly excellent cars are at right now.

Ultimately, cars trading hands determine true market value and again I'll be happy to share my experiences with it. Again, I've been in the market for the right car without myself having to have to mint it out. I don't have fifty to seventy five thousand to properly restore a car. Nor have I been able to find excellent original drivers for south of $25,000. This was the best deal going that I've come across to date. Let's see what happens and see where these cars are going....

Michael D. Cannillo
Gint
It's a very nice 914. Thanks for posting here. The problem is that a large majority of 914 owners are cheap buggers that are used to buying drivers for sub $5k prices.

There are some 914 owners though that appreciate the true value of a very well done 914, 4 or 6 cylinder. I like to see 914/6 cars in this price range because it offers me encouragement in the fact that the $40k+ expenditure on my 6 restoration will be worth the investment in time and money. This despite the fact that it isn't the strictest concourse restoration but is being done the way that I want it done.

If you would please come back and let us know what the car ends up selling for, I for one would really appreciate it. There are others as well that are tracking 914 prices that would also appreciative I'm sure.
cannillo
QUOTE(Gint @ Sep 8 2008, 03:14 PM) *

It's a very nice 914. Thanks for posting here. The problem is that a large majority of 914 owners are cheap buggers that are used to buying drivers for sub $5k prices.

There are some 914 owners though that appreciate the true value of a very well done 914, 4 or 6 cylinder. I like to see 914/6 cars in this price range because it offers me encouragement in the fact that the $40k+ expenditure on my 6 restoration will be worth the investment in time and money. This despite the fact that it isn't the strictest concourse restoration but is being done the way that I want it done.

If you would please come back and let us know what the car ends up selling for, I for one would really appreciate it. There are others as well that are tracking 914 prices that would also appreciative I'm sure.

No sweat. These 914's are a labor of love for me, it's no sweat. Here's some homework I've been doing leading up to my purchase of this car. I've been tracking sales of cars in excellent condition and here are three examples of sale within the last 3 years:

Russo & Steele (Scottsdale) 01/06 $28,600
Barrett-Jackson (Scottsdale) 01/07 $32,450
Ebay 03/08 $38,855

The prices have been going up and I wasn't cherry picking my results. These seem to be some of the only legitimate sales on 914/6's in my car's league. I'd like to consider my self a market "expert" but I'm just one of many. And what I'm presenting is only my opinion based upon my research. It seems the market evidence speaks for itself and supports my position.

This ecomomy will have an effect on prices. Price accession will slow or cease for now. But the intrinsic values of the 914/6's as well as buyer demographics play a role. And I believe both are strong. Plus it's an "affordable" Porsche, so there's plenty of room to grow. Same goes with the 914. I watched a Silver 2.0ltr. 914 sell at Christies Greenwich sell for about $15,000 in 06/06 and the same car sell for over $24,000 in 06/07. It was an excellent car but not a Pebble beach or Parade car. I think it was a bit high and that car was worth around $20,000. I never went thru it so I can't put a real number on it. But this is definitely the way the markets headed over the last few years. I don't see much more appreciation over the coming year, maybe even a dip. There's a liquidity crisis and that effecting funding which effects prices.

And also re. the market: Look at the muscle car market. It tanked but that was not just about the cars but the economy and who was buying them. Then take a look at the market for pre-fiat Ferrari's. It's been climbing out of site. It's a different buyer and the production numbers were low. That's why I feel the 914/6 accession is justifed. There's just not that many factory 6's around. Plus most 914 fans want one. Look at all the copies, clones & track/race cars. It's amazing because the car is too.

I don't want to beat a dead horse but you guys got me even more psyched about my purchase, so I had to add in more than my 2 cents.... Thanks for the comradery.

mike

mike
smg914
QUOTE(smg914 @ Aug 26 2008, 02:42 PM) *

I'm thinking that the Luggage Compartment in Black Velour is another one of those COA blunders.

I did some research and found the following:

Option code 975 for the 944 is: Luggage Compartment in Black Velour
Option code 975 for the 914-6 is: Fuchs alloy wheels 5.5 x 14

About a year ago I figured out that the people responsible for 914-6 COA's were not using the correct option code list. They had been mistakenly using the option code list for 944's. I worked on this problem with someone on the inside at PCNA and I believe it has now been corrected.

In the past I've seen many 914-6 COA's showing the option: High Output Air Conditioner. High output air conditioner for a 944 is option code 570. For a 914-6, option code 570 is: Center Seat Cushion

M471 914-6 COA's were coming back with the option: Integrated Rear Spoiler.
Integrated Rear Spoiler is option code 471 for the 944. Of course 471 for the 914-6 is the M471 Competition Option Group.
cannillo
QUOTE(smg914 @ Sep 16 2008, 08:59 PM) *

QUOTE(smg914 @ Aug 26 2008, 02:42 PM) *

I'm thinking that the Luggage Compartment in Black Velour is another one of those COA blunders.

I did some research and found the following:

Option code 975 for the 944 is: Luggage Compartment in Black Velour
Option code 975 for the 914-6 is: Fuchs alloy wheels 5.5 x 14

About a year ago I figured out that the people responsible for 914-6 COA's were not using the correct option code list. They had been mistakenly using the option code list for 944's. I worked on this problem with someone on the inside at PCNA and I believe it has now been corrected.

In the past I've seen many 914-6 COA's showing the option: High Output Air Conditioner. High output air conditioner for a 944 is option code 570. For a 914-6, option code 570 is: Center Seat Cushion

M471 914-6 COA's were coming back with the option: Integrated Rear Spoiler.
Integrated Rear Spoiler is option code 471 for the 944. Of course 471 for the 914-6 is the M471 Competition Option Group.

Thanks for the heads up. I have a 5.5 X 15 Fuch spare tire with the car and it's probably one of the original wheels. I appreciate the help.

mike cannillo
Gustl
QUOTE(cannillo @ Sep 17 2008, 06:35 AM) *

Thanks for the heads up. I have a 5.5 X 15 Fuch spare tire with the car and it's probably one of the original wheels. I appreciate the help.

mike cannillo

it might be a typo at your post, but 5.5 x 15 Fuchs were no option on the 914-6
5.5 x 15 were available as steel wheels, chromed steel wheels and Mahle Gasburners
the only Fuchs wheels on the 914-6 were 5.5 x 14 - as Steve mentioned before

bye1.gif Gustl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.