Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: Novel jack idea
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
This is a pretty novel idea. I would be worried though that putting that much back pressure on your exhaust system could be damaging...somehow? Anyone with working knowledge want to weigh-in on that? I'm not considering it, just curious about the physics of it all... wink.gif

Reid
URY914
There won't be any back pressure until the bag is full.
Lavanaut
...agreed, at which point it will begin to lift the car. That's what I was gettting at. smile.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Aug 25 2008, 11:49 AM) *

...agreed, at which point it will begin to lift the car. That's what I was gettting at. smile.gif

Most 914 owners would have to use another car to lift there 914s LMAO av-943.gif
3d914
This design is not even SAFE! It could roll like a ball. They should have gone with something more rectilinear.
championgt1
agree.gif I would not get under a car jacked up with that if you paid me.
YksKrad
If you look at their website it looks like the new ones are a cylinder (not the ball) and it looks like you get a little blue compressor to fill it up... Which makes me wonder why do you even need the exhaust hook-up in the first place?

http://www.airjackusa.com/features.htm
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(3d914 @ Aug 25 2008, 12:19 PM) *

This design is not even SAFE! It could roll like a ball. They should have gone with something more rectilinear.

It won't roll if the other two wheels are on the ground and the P brake is set or the wheels are chocked. Just like any other jack.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Aug 25 2008, 02:53 PM) *

That's what jack stands are for. I carry two of them in each car.
angerosa
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 25 2008, 07:45 PM) *

QUOTE(championgt1 @ Aug 25 2008, 02:53 PM) *

That's what jack stands are for. I carry two of them in each car.

I think everyone is thinking that the only advantage to this is that it's light weight and portable. So if you have to have two jack stands and two wedges for your wheels with you, why bother? blink.gif
Brando
I'd never get under a car with that.

What if it snags on a sharp piece of underbody while you're in there? 5 seconds to GTFO... yeah, right.

The factory jack might not be the most robust, but at least it doesn't roll and is made of steel.
ArtechnikA
it may be novel, but it is not new - I saw an idea like that around the time the 914 was introduced to the world. I think it's even on the same page in a 1969 issue of Popular Science...
Eddie914
I believe the Paris-Dakar racers have used that type of jack for years. It's one of the few types that will work when wheels are so deep in the sand that the doors sills are touching.

Eddie
Dave_Darling
You could call it the "virginity jack". Because one prick, and it's gone... laugh.gif

--DD
roadster fan
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 25 2008, 11:55 PM) *

You could call it the "virginity jack". Because one prick, and it's gone... laugh.gif

--DD

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.