Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Never thought I'd be saying this...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
A couple years ago, shortly after I bought my 4-cylinder car, I remember reading a post written by someone (don't recall who) who was selling his 4 because he'd been "bitten by the /6 bug". At that time I remember thinking, that will never be me. Why would anyone want a 6 enough to pay what they cost when you can have a 4 for such a comparatively small entrance fee?

Well, at some point along the line I got bit as well. After watching cars coming up for sale for about a year, I finally decided that I wanted to try to find one. Several months and several almost-buys later, I finally found a car.

I've been putting off posting this because I wanted to put some time into writing this thread. I wanted to try to capture or put into words the experience, the frustration of the hunt, the endless hours of scouring the 'Net, and most importantly the continued feeling of amazement when I walk into my garage and see her sitting there.

Nah. I think I'll just post some pics. The one thing I do want to say is that there are a lot of people in this community who helped me both directly and indirectly in acquiring this car. I greatly appreciated and appreciate their input along the way...I hope I showed it. Specifically I'd like to thank (aliases used to protect the guilty biggrin.gif) Sir Andy, McMark, Eric Shea, Dr. 914, Carr914, URY914, Gustl, DaveP, smg914, boxstr, TedK....and without a doubt others that I am forgetting, sorry. Oh and if you see your name on that list but don't even know who the hell I am, well, you DID help me out in one way or another...so again: thank you!

On to the car. This is a US delivery 1971 car, #283. It's a matching numbers example, stock specs. Color is Bahia red, original color with one respray. The car isn't perfect, but I plan to get it there. Short term plans include sail panel vinyl and (new) trim, black top, seals, new emblems, deep 6 Fuchs, new tires, correct stance, etc. I've been able to trace the history back to about 1980, confirming 65k original miles.

Enjoy the pics... wub.gif cheer.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif driving.gif beerchug.gif
Lavanaut
Taking delivery in Napa, what a picturesque setting...vinyards as far as the eye could see. The BMW is the car I drove to Napa from Portland, I started a topic a while back to that end...it was a fun drive down there.

Click to view attachment
Lavanaut
Camping on the way home. Imagine my surprise to come across this 912 along the way. Cool guys, they let us crash their camp site for the night when no others were available. Yes all that moisture made me cringe, yes this was the first and last offroad adventure for this car. icon8.gif

Click to view attachment
Lavanaut
I really like this shot. Bahia red is very difficult to capture in pictures, especially once you convert the image type to something reasonable in size. It is *bright* in person!

Lavanaut
Somewhere south of Mendecino, gorgeous spot for a pic.

Lavanaut
I just included this because DAMN did this brewery have good beer! Wish I could get it in central Oregon... beer3.gif

Lavanaut
One more artsy one. Just love the color composition, this is the closest that any of these pics are to the true color.

championgt1
Damn! Nice car. Congrats smilie_pokal.gif
3d914
Very cool!

Enjoy.
6freak
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Aug 25 2008, 12:14 PM) *

Taking delivery in Napa, what a picturesque setting...vinyards as far as the eye could see. The BMW is the car I drove to Napa from Portland, I've started a topic a while back to that end...

Click to view attachment

looks like a very nice car beerchug.gif welcome to the world of the factory six. Now you can say i fire her off with my left hand LOL...Is that the car that needs H,E
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 22 2008, 09:37 PM) *

This one's butt ugly. You'd have to be a "nut" to like it! biggrin.gif
hide.gif

Hardy har Eric, by the way the stromberg.gif is in the mail... poke.gif laugh.gif
McMark
I still wish we could have met up. Kinda of a bummer to think about such nice cars in my backyard and I missed them. But alas, such is life. See ya at WCR09! wink.gif

Of and CONGRATULATIONS!
PeeGreen 914
aktion035.gif Very cool. Welcome to the wonderful world of 6s biggrin.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Aug 25 2008, 12:20 PM) *

One more artsy one. Just love the color composition, this is the closest that any of these pics are to the true color.

PURDY
dr914@autoatlanta.com
GREAT looking car! Nice to have an original red one. COVER THAT NAKED SAIL PANEL! I was embarrassed that you showed your 914-6 naked like that to the public!!!!!!!! (of course that roof needs to be refinished too!) Too many previous owners wanted to get that 916 look that I HATE!!!!!!!!!!! I think that if I had a 916 I would cover the hardtop in vinyl and install the factory side vinyl while I was at it.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Aug 25 2008, 11:19 AM) *

I just included this because DAMN did this brewery have good beer! Wish I could get it in central Oregon... beer3.gif

I have North Coast Old Rasputin on tap in my garage beer3.gif

You should be able to find Old Rasputin and Red Seal in Bend, and maybe Old Stock and Brother Thelonious. Try the Newport Ave Market.
Zaney
beerchug.gif drunk.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif Awesome!
I was just down in Napa for my anniversary 2 weekends ago but, I was driving around in rented Solitice and not a kick ass /6!

Hope it is everything you wanted and more!! smoke.gif pray.gif
Cheers!
Nate
URY914
That looks like fun.
jgara962
That is a sweet looking ride. Congratulations.

Did you buy it from someone here in Napa?
Gustl
Hey Reid,

congratulations smilie_pokal.gif

nice that you really bought this one - I'm sure that's a good deal aktion035.gif

and welcome to the world of SIX ... close after me biggrin.gif

bye1.gif Gustl
BKLA
Congrats and Very Nice Car!!!!!
roadster fan
wub.gif

I bet that was a fun drive home!

Jim
Joe Bob
Hmmmm, are deep sixes oem? idea.gif

Congrats..... laugh.gif
ericread
Awesome Car!!!

Congratulations!!! smilie_pokal.gif

Eric Read

type47
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 25 2008, 11:31 AM) *

I think that if I had a 916 I would cover the hardtop in vinyl and install the factory side vinyl while I was at it.

wait a minute. i thought you owned the Peter Gregg 916...

sorry about the hijack
Gint
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Aug 25 2008, 01:12 PM) *
At that time I remember thinking, that will never be me.

laugh.gif

Grats. Nice looking six. Let us know when you swing back the other way and realize how much the 4 feels lighter and nimbler than the 6.
Eric_Shea
Way ta go Nut. smilie_pokal.gif

I dare ya to drive that garage queen over the pass to Dredford this week. Hell, I'll even buy ya dinner! LOL.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Gint @ Aug 25 2008, 08:10 PM) *

laugh.gif
Grats. Nice looking six. Let us know when you swing back the other way and realize how much the 4 feels lighter and nimbler than the 6.

True Story
I drove my copper car while I was in Cali last weekend. What a difference smile.gif

---------------------------------
Congrats on the six beerchug.gif
6freak
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Aug 26 2008, 10:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Aug 25 2008, 08:10 PM) *

laugh.gif

True Story
I drove my copper car while I was in Cali last weekend. What a difference smile.gif

---------------------------------
Congrats on the six beerchug.gif

the six`s feel heavyer because all the extra cion$ under the engine lid av-943.gif
Eric_Shea
I dare ya to drive that garage queen over the pass to Dredford this week. Hell, I'll even buy ya dinner! LOL.

Yeller! w00t.gif
JRust
Congrats on the six! That is just plain beauuuutiful. I'll have to shoot you a line when I get over that way. Love to see ti in person biggrin.gif
congrats
Lavanaut
Thanks all for the kind words! Let's see here...

QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 25 2008, 12:22 PM) *

Is that the car that needs H,E

Yep. Looking at the passenger side unit it appears that it did something to piss somebody off...more than once. It's already been repaired, I'm not going to try again.

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 25 2008, 12:23 PM) *

I still wish we could have met up. Kinda of a bummer to think about such nice cars in my backyard and I missed them. But alas, such is life. See ya at WCR09! wink.gif

Yeah Mark, bad timing...would have been cool to come by your shop. I seem to always get my cars in CA so maybe for the next one... biggrin.gif

WCR09? Would love to but if it's gonna be in SD it's going to be hard for me to make it. sad.gif

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 25 2008, 12:31 PM) *

I think that if I had a 916 I would cover the hardtop in vinyl and install the factory side vinyl while I was at it.

Ha! Wait...you don't own a 916? C'mon George, get on it. I agree though, sail panels and top will be going to back to stock look. I thought it was going to be easy but after reading Eric's writeup on doing it I'm a bit more nervous...especially because I'm going to have to redrill the holes for the lower trim piece. icon8.gif

QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Aug 25 2008, 12:40 PM) *

You should be able to find Old Rasputin and Red Seal in Bend, and maybe Old Stock and Brother Thelonious. Try the Newport Ave Market.

Like you, I have a draft system and was referring to getting it in barrels. Can't get jack out here, it sucks. In Colorado I could get ANYTHING.

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Aug 25 2008, 12:54 PM) *

Did you buy it from someone here in Napa?

Nope, just took delivery there. Delivered the BMW to the guy I bought the six from, from Portland, and he trailered the six up from Phoenix.

QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 25 2008, 01:43 PM) *

Hmmmm, are deep sixes oem? idea.gif

Congrats..... laugh.gif

And so it starts Mike, damnit. The urge to keep this car 100% original is one I'm struggling with. I want it to be totally original, with a few little touches that are easily reversible per my own tastes ~ wheels, steering wheel, suspension...things like that. It's ok right guys? Right? biggrin.gif Still though, I do struggle wiht it. I have a lot of respect for these cars and for me keeping it 100% bone stock is a component to that. The wheels are in my garage though, so damnit I'm doing it!

ps: they're not anodized and you can't stop me...

QUOTE(Gint @ Aug 25 2008, 09:10 PM) *

Let us know when you swing back the other way and realize how much the 4 feels lighter and nimbler than the 6.

Already noticed that for sure. But the power felt as I accelerate through higher RPM ranges in the six is definitely exhilerating, and FUN. Wait...Mike, are you saying I should keep both cars? Really? Should I? Someone just say so ~ after all, you all are the experts and who am I to argue? I'm sure my wife would agree.

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 25 2008, 11:13 PM) *

Thanks for the offer E...one of these times I'll make it, no really! Alas, I'm headed the opposite direction this weekend for a little camping action. drunk.gif

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 26 2008, 07:48 PM) *

Yeller! w00t.gif

Ok I digress....yes, Medford scares the shit of me! tooth.gif

QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 26 2008, 09:02 PM) *

Congrats on the six! That is just plain beauuuutiful. I'll have to shoot you a line when I get over that way. Love to see ti in person biggrin.gif

Absolutely. BTW, the annual Sunriver exotics show is coming up, thinking about entering one or both of the teeners in that one. Saw one there two years ago, a nice signal orange 1.7.

One of the "fringe joys" of this car is that I now own two Teeners! Another one of those, "that'll never be me" kind of things. They look nice parked next to each other, currently the attached crappy cell phone pic is all I have to show for it, but you get the idea.

Thanks again all for the compliments and congrats! beerchug.gif

Reid

Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Aug 27 2008, 11:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Aug 25 2008, 12:40 PM) *

Like you, I have a draft system and was referring to getting it in barrels. Can't get jack out here, it sucks. In Colorado I could get ANYTHING.

Ahhhh... I see. Do you tap Sankeys, or Cornies? My buddies and I split half barrel Sankeys into three Cornies. Comes out pretty cheap that way. Old Rasputin is the most expensive beer that we have done, and it runs $178... $1.44 a pint, or $1.08 a bottle. Beats $10 a four pack. Just did an Anderson Valley Hop Ottin'... $137 a half barrel direct from the distributor. drunk.gif

Next up is Great Divide Hercules Imperial IPA. $165 a half barrel.
dw914er
mmm purtie!!!

nice catch!
carr914
deleted
carr914
deleted
EdwardBlume
Congrats !! biggrin.gif

And nice use of a forklift on a /6... blink.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.