Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 idle issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
justdrive914
my 914 1.7L is all oe and I've done a lot of work to it. i replaced a lot of parts and now i cant get my idle to 975 or so it seems to stay at 1800 whats the deal anyone know? i have adjusted and adjusted, i cant get it!???
Thanks andrew
warrenoliver
Andrew,

I'm not too much help, but I think you can get a lot of info if you search "vacuum leak".

Good luck.

Warrenoliver
SirAndy
QUOTE(warrenoliver @ Aug 25 2008, 02:32 PM) *

"vacuum leak"

agree.gif

Sounds like you got a air leak somewhere on the intake side ...
bye1.gif Andy
r_towle
also

Rich
justdrive914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 25 2008, 03:37 PM) *

also

Rich

thanks man, i do think its a vacuum wacko.gif leak! is there an easier way to find the bad boy or is it check till i find it?
r_towle
one Djet.
Unplug every vacuum line and plug it.
Only leave the MPS plugged into the plenum.

You dont need any other lines to run.
Common leaks are at the AAR valve, and the rubber "Y" fitting for both that and the decel valve.

Add them back one at a time till you find the issue.
Sometimes the AAR valve gets stuck open and that creates a pretty large leak.

Rich
Joe Ricard
At your own risk you can use something like ether SPARINGLY around all the suspect places metioned above.
tracks914
I've had the same issue for 4 years. It idles about 1500 (cold) until it warms up,(HOT) then it drops to about 700. BTW it seems to lose about 25% of it's power/torque when it gets that hot. I think the cold start valve helps with the power.
Rand
Cold start valve just injects extra fuel IF the temps are VERY cold (like near freezing).

Things that can cause high idle on DJet:

1. Vacuum leak below throttle's butterfly.
2. Throttle butterfly not closing squarely.
3. Overly advanced timing.

Sometimes tracing the vacuum leak can be a pain, but it most certainly can be a simple and methodical process because there are only so many potential sources between the butterfly and the heads, so follow the path....

-Injector seals (2 per injector)
-Phenolic block between heads and intake runners
-Rubber boots between intake runners and plenum
-Crack in plenum (usually around vertical reinforcement tubes)
-Gasket between plenum and throttle body
-Excess wear around butterfly pivots
-Air bypass / idle adjust screw in throttle body
-Any vacuum tap on plenum or throttle body below butterfly. (Some of those taps have to be traced upstream to parts that can cause the problem, like the AAR. But on Djet, you can just pull the hose and plug the hole like Rich said to help troubleshoot most of those.)
r_towle
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Aug 26 2008, 08:28 PM) *

I've had the same issue for 4 years. It idles about 1500 (cold) until it warms up,(HOT) then it drops to about 700. BTW it seems to lose about 25% of it's power/torque when it gets that hot. I think the cold start valve helps with the power.

Your AAR is what makes it idle higher when cold and then settle to 700 when hot.
700 is to low btw. It supposed to do that..its like a choke.
The AAR adds more air when cold and this makes the motor run faster...

Your AAR may be leaking and not sealing up when closed..

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.