Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket Chips for the 3.6L /6 DME Brain ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
It looks as if there's quite a selection of different chips out there than i can throw into my 3.6L DME brain.

I've been running a chip from someone on the east coast (forgot the name) and i have been quite happy.

I switched to another chip for testing and it runs well, but has a few minor issues.

My main point is, however, none of the chips advertised really comes with any reliable information on what they actually do. All i get is the typical sales pitch.
More performance, better torque, more this, more that ... rolleyes.gif

Is there any info out there on different options with some actual real life experiece?
I'm not asking about your "seat of the pants" impressions, but rather some hard numbers that show actual performance.

I know there's no substitute for dyno time, but i'd rather get some good data on a bunch of different chips *before* i fork out wads of cash ...

anyone?
idea.gif Andy
dgw
you have checked out Steve Wong?
PeeGreen 914
My friend, Tyson Schmidt, works for Wevo and has a contact he reffered one of our other friends to. The chips this guy has made are great and make great improvements. I will try to get his name and info for you. My buddies RSA went on the Dyno before and after and the numbers were amazing.
McMark
Not really an answer to your question, but.... contact Paul Sayegh. At the Sac event last month he mentioned he might have a spare chip you would like, IIRC.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dgw @ Aug 25 2008, 08:49 PM) *

Yes. Unfortunately, his stuff is for 911s ... 500+ lbs weight difference ...

Not a lot of the usual suspects even consider the 914 a target market ...
shades.gif Andy
Richard Casto
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 26 2008, 01:25 AM) *

QUOTE(dgw @ Aug 25 2008, 08:49 PM) *

Yes. Unfortunately, his stuff is for 911s ... 500+ lbs weight difference ...

Not a lot of the usual suspects even consider the 914 a target market ...
shades.gif Andy

Stupid question, but why would it matter 911 vs. 914?

I would assume that the variables that really matter from a tuners perspective would be the fuel you use, type of exhaust (header size and design, muffler type, etc.), potentially any tweaks to the intake (throttle body size, length of intake, etc.) and your expected driving style. I can see some tuners being able to move the torque curve around a bit to either optimize a bit more for low RPM torque or maybe higher RPM HP, more power at the expense of fuel economy or drivability, but they are not going to work magic and change the character of the engine.

So how would you tune differently for a 914 vs. a 911 if both had the exact same engine?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Aug 26 2008, 06:13 AM) *

So how would you tune differently for a 914 vs. a 911 if both had the exact same engine?

Because of the curb weight difference the torque characteristics of the engine should be different.

Unfortunately, i don't have the gobs of money to have a chip tuner build me a custom chip just for my car and setup. Most chips come for a specific car/engine combo so if you run the engine in a different car then what the chip was designed for, you don't get the optimal results ...
shades.gif Andy
Richard Casto
I guess I still don't get it. I don't see car weight being a large factor in tuning decisions. sad.gif

But I will keep an eye on this thread because I eventually will chip the 3.2 I plan to get. popcorn[1].gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 26 2008, 02:53 PM) *

Because of the curb weight difference the torque characteristics of the engine should be different.

True enough, but you also need to factor in that the gearing is different, which should level that out a bit.

Unless you're using a 911 gearset in a 914/6 - in which case, you're already not getting optimal results ;-)

Joe Bob
Ingo Schmitz, 3.6@cox.net
NBD Racing. He does the chips for Pelican, TRE and Parts Heaven...also rebuilds CDI boxes for them.
SirAndy
Quick update:

So far, by using my IFTSOTPD™ (Incredibly Fine Tuned Seat Of The Pants Dyno), we have a clear winner!

- AutoThority Chip# 993.164.CP3 (Beta Test Version)
http://www.autothority.com/

Even thought this one is a (beta) test chip, it has the best throttle response, both on and off throttle as well as the smoothest idle.
It seems to best cope with the lightened flywheel, got a decent amount of low end torque and really kicks you in the back once you hit about 4500 rpm.

The chip was acquired through Jerry Woods Enterprises.
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
ConeDodger
Andy,
B has a friend in Sacramento who is a GIAC dealer. You may have met him before, Ron Kain? He has a race car and you have been known to frequent the tracks from time to time... Anyway, they are laptop programmable. He can get the most out of your car that way I would think...

This is his car...
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 26 2008, 09:50 AM) *

B has a friend in Sacramento who is a GIAC dealer. You may have met him before, Ron Kain?

Yes, i've met him. beerchug.gif

But i'm going to stick with the stock injection. I just needed a chip that could cope with the lightened flywheel, the headers and the modified intake.

I'm very happy with the AutoThority Chip. Now it's time to get my baby on a real dyno!
driving.gif Andy
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 26 2008, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 26 2008, 09:50 AM) *

B has a friend in Sacramento who is a GIAC dealer. You may have met him before, Ron Kain?

Yes, i've met him. beerchug.gif

But i'm going to stick with the stock injection. I just needed a chip that could cope with the lightened flywheel, the headers and the modified intake.

I'm very happy with the AutoThority Chip. Now it's time to get my baby on a real dyno!
driving.gif Andy

I am not sure how it works but you do stick with the stock injection. He just tunes the chip with the laptop while you are on the dyno to get the most out of it... I can hook you up with his number if you want. He doesn't have a dyno at his shop but he uses SVO here in Sac...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.