Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: battery leaked
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
6freak
Hello everyone how do i get rid of the acid powder its on the tray and down around the hell hole on the plug wires and the cooling tubes...yes i bought a new gel cell already but dont want to put it in until its cleaned up
VaccaRabite
baking soda is a base!
flush it out well with clear water!
force dry with warm air!
I'm so very...

Zach
rhodyguy
zack nailed it. i'd do the soda twice. worst part is the firewall pad has prob sponged it too.
jr91472
You should be able to hear the baking soda reacting with the acid. Do several times till you don't hear anymore reaction.

When I first purchased my car in the late 80's, this was part of my annual maintenance. Before I learned about sealed batteries. laugh.gif
Cap'n Krusty
"Cooling tubes"? Using a baking soda solution, followed by a good flushing with clear water is the most common way to get rid of the acid residue.

The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
Wow. My answer was a wild assed guess.

I'ma go edit my first post to look all smart an stuff now. ;-)

Zach

wait.... damn.
r_towle
Zach,
You can also brush your teeth with Baking soda....doesnt make you smart though....laugh.gif

I am to cheap to replace a perfectly decent battery with a sealed one...
When it dies I will think about it.
I remove the battery once a year and mix up a batch of about 30% baking soda and warm water.
Put it in a generic spray bottle and shake it all up till the soda is mixed in.
Spray liberally in the whole area...
Wash out with water (spray bottle again)
then wipe and blow it dry...touch up paint any exposed metal and add a battery acid mat for under the battery...

I wear rubber gloves and goggles when I do this...
Battery acid will eat clothing away...just a drop is all it takes, so wear junk clothes.

Rich
6freak
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 26 2008, 09:07 AM) *

Zach,
You can also brush your teeth with Baking soda....doesnt make you smart though....laugh.gif

I am to cheap to replace a perfectly decent battery with a sealed one...
When it dies I will think about it.
I remove the battery once a year and mix up a batch of about 30% baking soda and warm water.
Put it in a generic spray bottle and shake it all up till the soda is mixed in.
Spray liberally in the whole area...
Wash out with water (spray bottle again)
then wipe and blow it dry...touch up paint any exposed metal and add a battery acid mat for under the battery...

I wear rubber gloves and goggles when I do this...
Battery acid will eat clothing away...just a drop is all it takes, so wear junk clothes.

Rich

very well i will clean it with bakeing soda twice tonite and the air dry thanks for everyones help
6freak
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 26 2008, 08:04 AM) *

zack nailed it. i'd do the soda twice. worst part is the firewall pad has prob sponged it too.

no fire wall pad Mr Kevin but i did have a acid pad under the batt so that im sure soaked up alot.I will have it resolved tonite thanks for your input
sixnotfour
dry
Rand
Something handy is that spray can stuff at the FLAPS... You spray it on as yellow foam but when it hits battery acid it turns pink and neutralizes it. Gives you that extra reassurance that you got all of it with the baking soda - or surprises you how some little traces of the acid might have still been left behind.
IPB Image
6freak
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 26 2008, 10:49 AM) *

dry

I like that Batt where do i find one and whats the $ It looks small there for lighter in wieght??..I paid 128.00 for a new Exide orbital 3year replacement warranty
sixnotfour
fancy shmancy
http://www.rennline.com/
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 26 2008, 08:07 AM) *

I am too cheap to replace a perfectly decent battery with a sealed one...

Let's see if that adds up:
Sealed Optima Red Top = $155.00

Assuming a Car Battery has a normal lifespan of at least 5 years, here's a approx. list of
Mr. Towle's expenses:
=======================

Recurring (assuming you work on it for ~1 hour):
1lb of Baking Soda = $2.20
1 Bucket of warm Water = $0.05
Blow Dryer electricity = $0.07
Touch up Paint = $7.30
Hourly Rate = $60.00
Subtotal = $69.62 * 5 Years = $348.10

One Time (assuming these items last 5 years):
Generic Spray Bottle = $1.89
Rubber Gloves = $3.60
Safety Glasses = $6.20
Battery Acid Mat = $4.50
Subtotal = $16.19

Total = $364.29

So, over the normal lifespan of a car battery, you spent more than twice as much money "doing it the cheap way"!
beerchug.gif Andy
KELTY360
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 26 2008, 01:16 PM) *

Hourly Rate = $60.00

Wow! He works cheap! biggrin.gif
angerosa
I got full strength battery acid in my eye once... and lived to tell about it. It was one of those batteries that you had to fill it after you bought it. I have a bionic eye now. blink.gif
bperry
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 26 2008, 09:38 AM) *

baking soda is a base!
flush it out well with clear water!
force dry with warm air!
I'm so very...

Zach

I don't think baking soda is actually a base, it is actually better than using a base.
It reacts with acid to neutralize it like a base, but is not caustic like a base.
If you put it in acidic water (ph below 7.0) it will raise the ph back up to 7 but not above.
It then acts as a buffer to neutralize further acid.

[I have many aquariums and baking soda is a secret ingredient used to neutralize
acid to bring up a tanks ph level back to neutral (7.0) ]

--- bill
roadster fan
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 26 2008, 10:49 AM) *

dry

Who's mount is this? I didnt see anything like it at Rennline. simple yet elegant. It looks like they recommend a PC925 for a street car instead of the 680.

Jim
SLITS
Caustic Soda (Lye) is Sodium Hydroxide = a very strong base

Baking Soda is Sodium Bicarbonate = a weak base

Caustic is to reactive for most "normal" people to use ... reaction in water and or neutralizing acids is agressive and exothermic = Gets really hot and splatters on disassociation of molecule in water.

Hydroxide, Carbonate, Bicarbonate or Ammonia are basic. Battery breakers (recyclers) used to use Ammonia to neutralize acids.

6freak
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 26 2008, 01:16 PM) *

Assuming a Car Battery has a normal lifespan of at least 5 years, here's a approx. list of
Mr. Towle's expenses:
=======================

Touch up Paint = $7.30
Hourly Rate = $60.00

Rubber Gloves = $3.60
Safety Glasses = $6.20
Battery Acid Mat = $4.50
Subtotal = $16.19

Total = $364.29

So, over the normal lifespan of a car battery, you spent more than twice as much money "doing it the cheap way"!
beerchug.gif Andy

I like your way of thinking Andy...Im takeing the Exide back tonite and buying one of these cool guy batteries .....That Exide wieghs as much as a fat chick... av-943.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 27 2008, 07:08 AM) *

Caustic Soda (Lye) is Sodium Hydroxide = a very strong base

Baking Soda is Sodium Bicarbonate = a weak base

Caustic is to reactive for most "normal" people to use ... reaction in water and or neutralizing acids is agressive and exothermic = Gets really hot and splatters on disassociation of molecule in water.

Hydroxide, Carbonate, Bicarbonate or Ammonia are basic. Battery breakers (recyclers) used to use Ammonia to neutralize acids.

"Starving minds, welcome to Dr. Know! Where fast food for thought is served up 24 hours a day, in 40, 000 locations nationwide. Ask. Dr. Know - there's nothing I don't."

Click to view attachment
SLITS
Put the tin foil hat back on Paul.
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 26 2008, 04:16 PM) *

Mr. Towle's expenses:
=======================

Touch up Paint = $7.30
Hourly Rate = $60.00

Revise reality numbers...
1lb of Baking Soda = $2.20 (free stolen from wife)
1 Bucket of warm Water = $0.05 (free)
Blow Dryer electricity = $0.07 (air compressor, always full)
Touch up Paint = $7.30 (own it and if cleaned often no need)
Hourly Rate = $60.00 (please....I work for free, ask around)
Subtotal = Hmmm....looks free to me for maintenance.

Rubber Gloves = $3.60
Safety Glasses = $6.20
Battery Acid Mat = $4.50
Subtotal = $16.19

Total = $364.29

Damn you are really hunting here...but I will bring it back to reality again.
Some of us have stocked shops....that is a place indoors with shelves already stocked ...laugh.gif
Dont need to go to the store each time I work on the car.

Generic Spray Bottle = $1.89 (I own many, and I steal them from my wife when they are empty...I recycle...)
Rubber Gloves = $3.60 ( never use them, just advise others to)
Safety Glasses = $6.20 (ditto)
Battery Acid Mat = $4.50 (I use rubber that I have loads of, Zero cost)
Subtotal = Zero again...

Now, over the lifetime of the current battery I save the cost of the current battery and the replacement.
You did not factor in that I would basically loose the investment in the current battery that I have and that is fully functional.

$155.00 for a seal unit
$ 75.00 for the unsealed unit (thrown away)
Total cost to replace NOW...not gonna happen.

I dont believe in wasting money on things I dont need.
Unsealed batteries have been around a long time and with proper maintenance they last and dont ruin a car...every car I have has an unsealed battery and they all have the same issues.

Dont forget that with an Optima battery I need a special charger...more expense.

I did state that when the current battery (now 9 years old and counting) finally dies I will get a sealed one.

Rich
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 27 2008, 09:03 AM) *

Put the tin foil hat back on Paul.

biggrin.gif
rjames

Looks like a PC925. What I want to know is where did the tray adapter come from? Looks like it fits into a stock 914 battery tray. I don't see it listed on Oddyssey's website anywhere. Looks very nice.
sixnotfour
I made it from 1" boat floor board material.
Densetec 400 High Density Polyethylene Marine Board is specially formulated to withstand the rigors of harsh outdoor marine environments. It is UV-stabilized to resist damage and retain its beauty, even after years of direct sunlight.
rhodyguy
long cables to reach from the truck bed to the 914 huh? adjusters?

k
sixnotfour
adjusters?

to busy to pick em up, friday.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.