Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailing Arm Flange Bolts - HELP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Ok - I've read several articles about how to remove the rear hub to replace the bearing and they never show how they removed the flange bolts behind the hub? I would think the hub comes off first but the pics I've looked at the flange bolts are removed before they pull the hub off. Access to the bolts seems impossible (al leat with the tools I have?) with the hub on - HELP!
vesnyder
Here is a pic that may help. You can see that the bolt is removed in this pic ...
r_towle
Its all pressed in place.
I bring them to a shop that has a press...alot easier.

Not something I read on the Internet, I have done it.

Rich
bondo
Hi Vance!

That flange holds the bearing in the trailing arm. The hub is pressed into the bearing. I made an attachment for my slide hammer that bolts to the hub. Once you take off the big nut, a slide hammer yanks the hub right out. Then you can take the bolts out and get the flange off.
914Sixer
The home version for me is to take a 30mm impact socket and a short 1/2' extension and drive the hub out from the rear. I try and soak the hub with PB Blaster for 24 hrs to help it along. Once the hub is out you can remove the 4 bolts to get to the rest of the bearing. Some times you will have to use a bearing spliter remove the front half of the bearing from the hub. To install the new bearing, clean the hub out and polish the inside with some steel wool. Keep the new bearing and the clean hub in the freezer for 24 hrs. Coat the inside of the hub and outside of the bearing with antiseize and place in the center of bearing hub. Take the bearing cover plate and place it over the bearing. Then take 4 longer bolts and tighten them down in a X pattern about 2 turns at a time. Take your time and the bearing will go in slowly and seat correctly. When about 1/4 of bearing is out switch over to your final bolts. To install hub, treat it with antisieze on both the hub and inside of bearing. Note the inside of the bearing is in two pieces. Line hub up in the center and press gently into bearing. Lake the stub axle and push it in from the back side. Place nut WITHOUT LOCKWASHER on stub axle. I use a 1/2 inpact and let the stub axle pull the hub into the bearing
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.