Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help matching old paint color.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
william harris
icon14.gif So here's the next item on my restoration agenda: body work and paint. Today my car sits in Chris Foley's shop in Manchester, CT for the "rustoration" phase. After the rust is cut out and welded up with new metal, it is on to the body shop - plastic media blasting and eventually repainting. As you can see from the avatar, the car is now yellow, but that is not where I'm headed. I like the 72 Adriatic Blue or Gemini Blue. My question is - how can I match those colors. Is this a paint color or formulae that a body shop can find or match? How should I proceed?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(william harris @ Feb 2 2004, 09:33 AM)
Is this a paint color or formulae that a body shop can find or match?

yes - with the code or color name (ideally both) a competent paint shop can get you the color you want.
customs and paint to sample get iffy but with the standard color codes you should have no problem...
tdgray
The shop or it's PBE supplier will have the formulas for the paint based on the orginal code.

It will be based upon the orginal paint (laquer is my guess) and converted for whatever application you want to put on, basecoat clearcoat etc.

Be aware that this will change the color of the paint slightly. When "crossing over" the paint code on my 60 MGA - Olde English White- the paint turned out to be significantly darker than the orginal. Have your guy do a couple of spray-outs to make sure it is what you want.

Good Luck

Todd
1960 MGA
1973 914 1.7
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.