Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear brake adjuster not working!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
monkeyboy
I just installed a new set of PMB rear brake calipers, and pads. When I go to adjust the venting clearance, the passenger side, outside adjuster does nothing. I got the driver side adjusted just fine.

Can anyone help?

I did search, and tried to use my air gun to get it back on track and didn't have any success. I do know that it needs to be turned counterclockwise, but if it was turned the wrong way, could it have come apart inside?

Thanks
davep
Use of an air gun is almost guaranteed to cause trouble.

Yes, you can pop it apart inside, although that would be rare in this instance.

I would try to get the piston moving by stepping on the brake. You may need to put in a thin brake pad, move the piston out a little, then force it back in. This is just to get the piston moving a little. Sometimes the internal mechanism will spin inside of the piston if there is less friction there than the piston sliding in the bore. This can happen more often when the mechanism is lubed during the install process. There is no lock as such between the mechanism and the piston, and what will move is the part with the least resistance.
monkeyboy
Thanks, I will try that. I only used an air gun to pop it because I saw that suggested by Eric in another thread.
monkeyboy
Still spinning freely. Any other ideas?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 26 2008, 12:29 PM) *

I would try to get the piston moving by stepping on the brake. You may need to put in a thin brake pad, move the piston out a little, then force it back in. This is just to get the piston moving a little. Sometimes the internal mechanism will spin inside of the piston if there is less friction there than the piston sliding in the bore. This can happen more often when the mechanism is lubed during the install process. There is no lock as such between the mechanism and the piston, and what will move is the part with the least resistance.

Well, I don't think that's true .................. Inner and outer adjusters are linked to the pistons, and you MUST apply pressure on the piston as you turn the adjuster to retract it. You don't have to use pressure to move it out. Failure to push on the piston while retracting it can (and frequently does) cause the adjuster mechanism to become disengaged. That's not good.

The Cap'n
monkeyboy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 26 2008, 01:58 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Aug 26 2008, 12:29 PM) *

Well, I don't think that's true .................. Inner and outer adjusters are linked to the pistons, and you MUST apply pressure on the piston as you turn the adjuster to retract it. You don't have to use pressure to move it out. Failure to push on the piston while retracting it can (and frequently does) cause the adjuster mechanism to become disengaged. That's not good.

The Cap'n

If I turned it the wrong way when I first installed it, and it came disengaged, how would I reengage it? Do I have to take the whole caliper apart?
Eric_Shea
If you turned it the wrong way the spring may have popped but, that's kinda rare.

The air method to release the piston can work if you go in the proper direction. You need to spin it counter clockwise fairly fast (short bursts). This will spin the adjuster faster than the mass of the internal piston can compensate for and get the piston moving.

If you can't get it, send it back. I'll be back Friday and I can have it on the way back to you Saturday.
monkeyboy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 26 2008, 03:24 PM) *

If you turned it the wrong way the spring may have popped but, that's kinda rare.

The air method to release the piston can work if you go in the proper direction. You need to spin it counter clockwise fairly fast (short bursts). This will spin the adjuster faster than the mass of the internal piston can compensate for and get the piston moving.

If you can't get it, send it back. I'll be back Friday and I can have it on the way back to you Saturday.

I will give it another shot and let you know. Thanks for the help.
monkeyboy
Couldn't get it to work, but I did get it in the mail. It's on it's way back.

Thanks.
Eric_Shea
Very sorry about that. It's hard to understand... everything goes in as planned/normal. confused24.gif

You should see it back Monday/Tuesday.
monkeyboy
Thanks. I have a few other things I can get done this weekend. No worries.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.