pavpav12
I kinda like the smart roadster
SGB
HAHAHA

Wheeeee!!!

they go BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

av-943.gif
ClayPerrine
Having driven a few of the smart cars, well let's just say I won't be buying one.

Less HP than a sick 1.7L, tiny brakes, tall, top heavy, no real crash protection.......

I feel safer in a 914.

swl
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 27 2008, 09:56 AM) *

Having driven a few of the smart cars, well let's just say I won't be buying one.

Less HP than a sick 1.7L, tiny brakes, tall, top heavy, no real crash protection.......

I feel safer in a 914.

yes, yes but suitable to the weight of the car, yes, no, no and definitely no. dry.gif

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(swl @ Aug 27 2008, 01:05 PM) *

I feel safer in a 914.

yes, yes but suitable to the weight of the car, yes, no, no and definitely no. dry.gif

If you have not driven one, you won't understand.

You can out accellerate the smart car in a 1.7L 914.

The brakes are NOT suitable for the car... they are only marginal.

It won't corner worth a damn because of the high center of gravity and the small tires.

And you feet are right behind the front bumper.

swl
But I do understand biggrin.gif. I've owned one for 3 years and have over 120k on the clock.

It is what it is - not a race car and never will be one. But honestly it is surprisingly safe. The crash cell is extremely strong. Check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q91UIYquAW8
Do not try this at home kids.
drgchapman
QUOTE(swl @ Aug 27 2008, 11:59 AM) *

But I do understand biggrin.gif. I've owned one for 3 years and have over 120k on the clock.

It is what it is - not a race car and never will be one. But honestly it is surprisingly safe. The crash cell is extremely strong. Check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q91UIYquAW8
Do not try this at home kids.

We've had one for about a year. We love it! My wife uses it maily for errands. Sure beats driving the Suburban around town.

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
We have an acquantance in Germany that has had one for a few years. It's used for around town errands, and the Mercedes is used for family trips. For those of us living in large cites, where most of the driving is stop and go, it should be fine.

They're just starting to show up in Chicago, I see one every other day or so. They do stand out on the road!
neo914-6
I like the Mercedes version...
richardmosselman
Um...that's an 'A-Class' not really a Smart Car. I'm from Victoria BC Canada where they have sold more Smart Cars per capita than anywhere else in the world. It is a perfect in town car and extremely safe...I believe it's called a 'Tridon' safety cell and will survive almost all crashes relatively easily. They've had to change the original car to suit American tastes...now gas engine instead of diesel and slightly larger to boot! I'd have one except my 90 lb. Airedale won't fit! Cheers, R
Brett W
Install a Hayabusa motor and trans. That will make it more fun to drive and only slightly less fuel efficient.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 27 2008, 11:13 AM) *

I feel safer in a 914.

It won't corner worth a damn because of the high center of gravity and the small tires.

The Smart Car's a 68 VW Bus?

The Cap'n
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 2 2008, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 27 2008, 11:13 AM) *

I feel safer in a 914.

The Smart Car's a 68 VW Bus?

The Cap'n

Capt'n....

Description of the driving position of a 68 VW bus.
"bolt the back legs of a lawn chair to the front bumper"

Description of the driving position of a smart car.

"bolt the front legs of a lawn chair to the front bumper"

Yep.. you are that close.
swl
QUOTE(Brett W @ Sep 2 2008, 07:02 AM) *

Install a Hayabusa motor and trans. That will make it more fun to drive and only slightly less fuel efficient.

yeah - that's it. bilsteins all round, lowering kit, 195s on the front 205's on the rear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV4HdsDZX6c

Did I say it would never be a race car?
tronporsche
It seems to me to be a golf cart with a better engine and added steel for so called "protection". A 914 ought to at least give you a "little" more protection being it that there is a longer front and back to crunch. If you crash in that little thing your legs are T O A S T !! And if either car gets hit on the driver side........well, you know the rest. But I'd rather be in the 914 if I got hit on the passenger side. If I owned the playboy mansion, that thing would be great for speeding around the complex !!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.