Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Get it ready for WCR09
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roadster fan
Here is what she looked like this morning. The neglected step sister to the 71 runner.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

A litte clean up (very little) and a little layout and this is what she looked like

Click to view attachment
roadster fan
I am replacing the rear panel due to an earlier repair by a DAPO headbang.gif The replacement panel after a collision was poorly brazed on and covered in mucho bondo and subsequently rusted. The work, well it, barf.gif

I purchased another rear panel from a member here, some time ago and it has been sitting in a box ever since. George's thread about the best use of time leading up to WCR09 got me motivated to get back on the project.

Here are a few more pics from today's work

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
roadster fan
Here is what causes the rear corners to rust from the inside out chair.gif

Click to view attachment

And this is what hopefully will get used tomorrow welder.gif

Click to view attachment

I should start a poll to see how many people think it will be drivable by WCR09 idea.gif

I will post more details on the build tomorrow. Now it is time for yellowsleep[1].gif

Jim
JoeSharp
Thanks George.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

No way in Hell, will that be ready for the WCC 09.

NOW...... prove me wrong!!!!!!!!!! welder.gif stirthepot.gif

Dave slap.gif

So.Cal.914
It doesn't look that bad rolleyes.gif MikeZ would have it done in a few months.

(Peer pressure) biggrin.gif
G e o r g e
This is exactly what we are talking about

Take a few more pics interior , engine bay etc and send them to me

I'm going to be putting "before" packages together so those that judge have a solid base

beerchug.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 27 2008, 07:23 AM) *

It doesn't look that bad rolleyes.gif MikeZ would have it done in a few months.

(Peer pressure) biggrin.gif

piratenanner.gif

So, where IS WCR '09 for the newbies? Put it in your signature....advertise!
TravisNeff
What's with the boxster engine/trans??
roadster fan
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Aug 27 2008, 10:27 AM) *

What's with the boxster engine/trans??

Oh you mean this little beauty.

Click to view attachment

I was gonna do a V8 conversion because the is what the PO had in mind before he passed away sad.gif He had cut out part of the trunk and had done some of the chassis stiffening you will see in future photos. Not the greatest quality work but I will examine closely and fix what I can't live with.

Anyway, I started looking at motors and considered several different configurations including an LS1 and Scooby. Eventually decided if I was gonna do a water cooled motor I may as well keep it in the family so to speak. 3.2 liter S motor with 6 speed manual trans. I couldn't pass on the deal as it came out of a 00' with 44k miles (tree fell on it) and the $$ was right.

Aside from the motor being too wide to fit between the suspension ears, it fits well. There are at least 2 others in Norcal building similiar. Ths suspension will be the most interesting/challenging. One of the other bayarea cars is using a 996 rear suspension that looks pretty trick but I think I am gonna try to stay simpler with a modified semi-trailing arm setup ala "groot" on this board. time will tell. Oh !@$ not very much time, what were those WCR 09 dates?

Jim
greenie
Jim you don't stand a chance of getting that thing together in time poke.gif

I would suggest you start putting your efforts into your back-up car immediately. smile.gif

Good luck whatever way you go. beer.gif
siverson
> Aside from the motor being too wide to fit between the suspension ears, it fits well.

Oh, is that all? That's funny. smile.gif
roadster fan
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Aug 27 2008, 07:39 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

No way in Hell, will that be ready for the WCC 09.

NOW...... prove me wrong!!!!!!!!!! welder.gif stirthepot.gif

Dave slap.gif

I knew someone was gonna throw the gauntlet down biggrin.gif

QUOTE(greenie @ Aug 27 2008, 10:50 PM) *

Jim you don't stand a chance of getting that thing together in time poke.gif

I would suggest you start putting your efforts into your back-up car immediately. smile.gif

Good luck whatever way you go. beer.gif

Backup, shmack up. wait a second I could just take the 71 to wcr09 like I did in 08.........yeah that would be alot easier............wait, now I get it, you just want the beater to show up so greenie looks better after everyone tore it apart over beers smile.gif poke.gif

QUOTE(siverson @ Aug 27 2008, 10:56 PM) *

> Aside from the motor being too wide to fit between the suspension ears, it fits well.

Oh, is that all? That's funny. smile.gif

I was hoping the minimizing of that issue didn't get by everyone laugh.gif

I haven't been as excited about the project since I brought it home on the trailer!
roadster fan
Here is what the interior looks like today with all the crap removed from it

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

roadster fan
I began the prep on the replacement rear panel, it was quite a bit more work than I thought it was gonna be. Should finish it tomorrow and I will take a pic before the install.

After cleaning out the interior I took a quick look around the exterior to refresh my memory what needs to be done. Here is one thing: right side long below door post

Click to view attachment

Oh and the big hole in the front trunk from the A/C that used to live there I think. There was an aluminum hacked together plate in here when I bought her

Click to view attachment

Jim
So.Cal.914
Sooooo whats the plan? welder.gif
roadster fan
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 28 2008, 12:53 AM) *

Sooooo whats the plan? welder.gif

Tackle issues with the chassis that I have posted + hellhole. Mount GT flares. Get the drive train mounted (then removed). Suspension Mockup. All this before Jan 1 2009.

Get the car blasted (I think....I hear SirAndy's voice saying "dont do it") or dipped and in sealer/primer. Cooling system installed. Aftermarket ECU/EFI purchased/installed. Drive train installed and running. Basic electrics installed. All this before March 15, 2009.

Get it legal for trip to Socal or trailer it to Socal for display sad.gif but running. What are those dates again?

If I could have a drivable car in primer/sealer for WCR 09 that would work. I could work out the bugs, disassemble, paint, reassemble the following winter. I would rather fabricate, blast/dip, paint, build once but not sure there is enough time available for that. I fear in the rush to get it running there will be shortcuts taken. Those could be addressed on reassembly. Nomex suit on, let me know what you think.

Jim
greenie
Hi Jim,

It's great to have a date "WCR09 " to motivate you and really get you off your ass and working on the project...

Get started & see how things are shaping up by January.

If the impending deadline is forcing you to take shortrtcuts or is taking the fun out of the project that would be the time to go to plan B.

You don't want to look back on your work and be unhappy with the results.

Remember we do this stuff for fun & the pride in each accomplishment.
neo914-6
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Aug 27 2008, 02:49 AM) *

I am replacing the rear panel due to an earlier repair by a DAPO headbang.gif The replacement panel after a collision was poorly brazed on and covered in mucho bondo and subsequently rusted. The work, well it, barf.gif

I purchased another rear panel from a member here, some time ago and it has been sitting in a box ever since. George's thread about the best use of time leading up to WCR09 got me motivated to get back on the project.

I threw away a good rear clip and other parts when no one claimed it, I wish there was a 914 parts collective idea.gif

Let's plan a caravan to WC09! biggrin.gif

roadster fan
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Aug 29 2008, 10:14 AM) *

I threw away a good rear clip and other parts when no one claimed it, I wish there was a 914 parts collective idea.gif

Let's plan a caravan to WC09! biggrin.gif

Hey Felix,

I remember when you had the rear clip but I already had one. didnt pay much for it and dont need two smile.gif

Caravan for sure, I am sure there will be a bunch of bay area folks rolling down.

Jim
Todd Enlund
Dang, Jim... did you stay up that late working on your car, or did you get up that early to work on it? biggrin.gif

I'm going to TRY to have mine ready for the WCR... funding will be more of an issue for me than time.
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif What were those dates? There are 24 hrs in a day dude. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
roadster fan
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 27 2008, 08:16 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif What were those dates? There are 24 hrs in a day dude. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

av-943.gif I was just having that discussion with my wife yesterday! Just put a couple hours into rust repair, I will post pics later. Now off to the regular job dry.gif

Jim
roadster fan
Did some work on the rear taillight section of the car today. The car had been rear ended and a poor job job done on the repair. I did a little metal work on the area today getting it ready for the replacement taillights piece.

The drivers side I was able to bump out without too much effort. The passenger side required a cut to relieve alot of the tension before I could straighten it. I will weld it tomorrow. Below are pics before and after on the passenger side.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.