Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel Spacers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
bob
I ran a DE over the weekend and noticed the drivers side rear tire rubbed the paint off on the inner fender... what size spacer is anyone using? (if any?)

thanx!
-bob
GaroldShaffer
what size tire are you running? What kind of rim also? I was runnig a set of keizer rims with 205 50 15 kuhmo's and a 1/4" wheel spacer in back to clear the brake calipers. Only problem was even with the my fender lips rolled it still would rub on hard corners. Over time it did heat the fender enough that the paint discolored at the rub point.

I switched back to minilite rims with teh same tire, no spacer and have had no problems.
bob
205's on regular steel rims. (5.5 wide)
GaroldShaffer
what is you toe & camber setup? also are you running stock springs?
mskala
each tire brand is different width;
each rim type is different backspace;
each 914 is slightly different;
stiffer springs/shocks will limit movement more;

etc.

I have experienced rub same as you and I have
at least 1/4" static gap. If it's just a minor rub,
just try to find or make a 1/8" spacer. If you
want to be serious, unbolt the shock and move
the tire through the whole useful range of motion
while checking for decent static gap.
bob
everything is stock (stock 914-6)
bob
thanx ... I figured I'd just add a 1/4" spacer, but was wondering what everyone else does when their car rubs.
BTW- Mark, I haven't been following any NCR. NER events since I moved, but how have you been doing in AX? still beating charles?

-bob
jdogg
There used to be guy on Ebay that custom made hubcentric spacers for 4 lug cars, but I can't find him any more. Does anyone else know of a source for 1" or so 4 lug hubcentric spacers???

Bob-
Where did you run your DE at?
bob
Summit Point...

-bob
Racing916
Hey Bob,

Just put some bike tires on that thing and you will be set!!

mskala
QUOTE(bob @ Aug 27 2008, 01:52 PM) *

BTW- Mark, I haven't been following any NCR. NER events since I moved, but how have you been doing in AX? still beating charles?

-bob

Hi Bob, I couldn't place you from your screen name there for a bit. Charles was beating me for a couple years, but not this year. Only problem is a 997 GT3RS and a more than slightly modified early 911. I'm not mathematically out of the trophies yet.
Demick
You may also want ot check your trailing arm bushings. Mine were shot, and the way I noticed is that the rear tires began rubbing on the inner fender during autox.
6freak
QUOTE(bob @ Aug 27 2008, 09:52 AM) *

thanx ... I figured I'd just add a 1/4" spacer, but was wondering what everyone else does when their car rubs.

-bob

1/4 spacers will require longer lug studs.I tryed it because of the same issue your haveing..I was running 205/50/15 Kumho 710 on cookie cutters.good luck
Chris Pincetich
Garold - I am using your old rims and love them beerchug.gif
They did rub inside before using the spacer (1/4 or 5mm I think). I THOUGHT I rolled the fenders enough but during my races they did rub and caused the fender to heat up at the one spot and a small paint bubble formed. I rolled the lips again when they were hot and it has not happened again.

I found an eBay seller for 4 lug spacers, search VW Bug parts on EBay stores.

A 914 - 6 probably uses 5 lug, which are true Porsche parts and more expensive dry.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Demick @ Aug 28 2008, 07:33 AM) *

You may also want ot check your trailing arm bushings. Mine were shot, and the way I noticed is that the rear tires began rubbing on the inner fender during autox.

agree.gif

Or the suspension ear....the passenger side isn't the only one that can fail.
bob
suspension ear is good! I'm pretty sure the bushings are ok. (for a 38 YO car!) but I'll take a look at 'em . I found some 1/8" spacers and I'll try that for now...

thanx!

-bob
Racer
Before you throw on some spacers, take a look at the car while its sitting on the ground. Crawl underneath and see how much room (if any) is between the tire and the fenderwell.

In theory, if there is room now, there would be room on the track. A tire doesn't flex at the top afterall, but at the bottom when its under cornering loads.

If there is room now, I would be more suspect of failing bushings/ears/arms that are flexing under the grip of the tire and causing you to rub.

A spacer may solve the problem of rubbing, but doesn't mean your 38YO bushings are doing there job!
mskala
In theory, if there is room now, there would be room on the track. A tire doesn't flex at the top afterall, but at the bottom when its under cornering loads.

Sorry, this is not true. Not only does the tire deflect all the way around (though less farthest from the ground), the place on the 914 inner fender that sticks out the most is only about 2/3 of the way up.

Shorter and stiffer sidewalls and the proper rim width will reduce the amount of the flex.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.