Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: road rage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
To my friends,

As some of you know the story of my Porsche 914, well today I have bad news. A few weeks ago the clutch tube broke loose and I brought it over to AutoAtlanta to be repaired. I had them make a lot of repairs to it to bring it up to 'snuff'. I paid $2630 for repairs and I got it back last Friday. I was in my glory to have my Porsche back and driving it around. As you remember my story of the Porsche, Penni and I had many memories with that car. We had our first date in it, I taught her to drive stick shift in that car, etc, etc, and of course etc.

well today I had to go to the VA Hosp to pick up some meds and on hwy 40 I became the victim of 'road rage'.

It was raining lightly and in front of me was a tractor rig (without a trailer) and in front of him was another tractor-trailer (with trailer). They were doing about 60 at the time and I passed them. The tractor without the trailer blew his horn at me when I passed. I continued on my way and I could see in the rear view mirror that he too had passed the tractor-trailer rig. I could see on his front bumper it said "oversize load". He was coming up very fast behind me. I was still in the passing lane. I flipped on my right hand signal and then moved out of his way to the right hand lane. what happened next was so fast and unbelievable that I still can't believe it happened.

Apparently he was pissed at me and perhaps wanted to 'scare' me. He pulled his rig to the right and bumped my left rear fender sending me into a spin. All I heard was a loud bang. the next thing I saw was the word "MACK" in my driver side door window. I had spun sideways IN FRONT of his truck. Now try to imagine what was going through my mind. the front of my car is now facing the left side of the road, the rear of my car is facing the right side of the road and this tractor rig is up against my driver side pushing me down the road sideways at about 70 MPH. The most shocking thing was that he 'floored' the throttle while he was pushing me. He pushed me about an eight of a mile. The roar of that engine in my ear was unbelieveable and there was nothing I could do. I tried cranking my wheels and I even floored the throttle in hopes that I could get some traction to get away from him. I finally broke away and spun around and around and into the center of the median into the grass. He then hit his brakes and left skid marks AFTER I went off the road, but then he sped away. I, of course, called 911 and reported a hit and run from a guy that tried to kill me.

Luckily for me, I was in a 1972 Porsche 914. When that car was designed they thought of safety. The driving compartment in encased in a roll cage that was built to handle crashes. That was the only thing that saved me from being crushed. I was being pushed for about 20 seconds and believe me, that was the LONGEST 20 seconds of my life. During those 20 seconds I thought I was a goner. BUT, immediately after I broke free and was spinning in the grass, the only thought was that bastard ruined my beautiful classic porsche with so many beautiful memories of my deceased wife.

I will post some photos of the crushed car on the web later. you can actually see the tires marks on the side of my car as he was trying to roll over me. he rubbed a thick layer of his tread marks on the side of the car.

I guess I am lucky to be alive, but without Penni and without my Porsche, I am not so sure if I even want to live anymore.

Bob
iamchappy
Thank God your alive, truly insane, way beyond my understanding.
effutuo101
Please extend our feelings and our hope that the bastard gets caught.
mudfoot76
OMFG blink.gif

At least you are OK. As is often posted around here when another teener gets smashed - the car can be replaced*, you cannot.

*yes, I know there is sentimental value, but you are still around and can have a beer...
pin31
Wow !!

Glad Bob is OK.

Hope they catch that nut and put him away in a mental institution.

Unbelievable story....like a "drama in real life" Readers Digest story.

davep
Did the "tractor-trailer rig" stop to give assistance and witness?
tdgray
Unbelievable... WOW blink.gif
MrZir
Wow, that is so ridiculous. Glad he is well.
jsayre914
HOLY SHIT! blink.gif

I got goosebumps reading that one, that could have been anyone of us. I pass at least 20 tractors a day on the highway, I always give em enough room and try to respect. But that was like a Hitchcok movie.
klikkid3
Just amazing, when I am next to a big rig and the top of their tire is above my head I wonder what I could do if the worst happened, you are a very lucky man even if you dont feel like it.
dw914er
damn!!!!!!!
glad he's ok though, but damn. George, make sure to post up some pictures of te car afterwards. It will show the extent of the big rigs damage.

but yea, glad he's ok
Dr. Roger
WTF.gif

WTFFFFFFF !! ???

Shit man, I'm so glad you are still with us...

Love to hear how this works out..

driving.gif
rjames
Unbelievable! So glad to hear that you're ok, and hopefully karma will come knocking on someone's door in a big way.
DBCooper
It didn't happen to George, it was a story sent to him by one of his customers.
Root_Werks
sad.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Zundfolge
QUOTE(pin31 @ Aug 27 2008, 11:16 AM) *

Hope they catch that nut and put him away in a mental institution.

Better yet I hope he resists arrest with a weapon and gets put in the ground where he belongs mad.gif

People wonder why I carry a gun ... no it wouldn't likely have helped in this situation, but the evil that drove this nut drives other nuts.

Glad Bob is OK ... thank God for roll cages.
carr914
Reminds me of Steven Spielberg's 1st movie, DUEL, with Dennis Weaver as a traveling salesman who is attacked by a Tractor-trailer.

T.C.
914Sixer
WHOOOOA!! Thank goodness that he made it out alive. It sure isn't what it used to be!!
michaelt55
that was a terrible thing to experience..I am glad he made it out alive...my condolences on the loss of the car but it can always be replaced...

Michael
EdwardBlume
Tough and incredible story from a guy that's obviously lost a lot.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing more about this.

R
dr914@autoatlanta.com
to my friends,

Here is a page I created today to show the damages to my Porsche. Please try to imagine where the truck is in these pictures. you can clearly see the tire marks as he was trying to climb over me.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the first point of impact is on the back drivers side fender behind the rear tire. You can clearly see where the tire lug nuts from the truck first struck my vehicle. the lug nuts (kinda like the spikes in the Ben Hur movie on the chariots) was sawing its' way through my bumper and then sliced up my rear tire. This was a classic 'pit maneauver' as used by the police to cause the car to go out of control. However, the police immediately slow down allowing the car to spin to the left in front them. In my case, my car, as its' tire was blown swearved into his path. You can see on the drivers side where his tire tried to crush the front of the car. I guess I instictively cut the wheel to the right causing my car to continue going further into his path. That was when his tire started crushing my door hinge and then the center of my door. By that time, the truck driver gave it full throttle as I could hear that incredibly loud roar and I could feel the thrust as it slammed me and then pushed me sideways down the road. I was trying everything to get away from him and even had enough time to say an "Act of Contribution" ( I am catholic ) figuring I was about to die.

Luckily my quick reflexes allowed me think and I gave it full throttle and cut the wheels to the right. That caused the back tires to lose its' grip on the road and the front tires grabbed causing the car to spin to the left of the truck. Only AFTER I got away from the front of the truck did he try to stop. the marks in the grass where I spun in the median came BEFORE his 100 foot skid mark. He then gave it full throttle and took off, stopping about .7 miles down the road.

sorry to those with slow dialup. I created this image as a slideshow and it is about 4.7 meg. Once it loads, just wait and the picture will change giving about 6 seconds per photo. It will continue to cycle through about 20 photos. It only takes a couple of minutes.

thanks for being my friend.

http://www.bloisetek.com/Porsche/index.php

bob
Root_Werks
blink.gif Wow!.........just wow. sad.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Observations:
George, if Bob isn't a member here, encourage him to join us.

Without addressing insurance limits that Bob might have, I'd think that what looks to be a very nice 914 could be saved.

I hope that the low-life that perpetrated this can be caught; does Bob or the authorities have any hope of catching this scum?

Finally, given what coulda happened, Bob, you are one fortunate guy. Fix your 914 and immerse yourself in our shared mutual madness.

Paul
turnaround89
Thank God your alright man!!!!!!!

WHAT AN F%$#ING D BAG, who does that, ill try to scare this guy, ooops i hit him, guess i went a little to far. this is totally uncalled for out on the road. Big vehicles think they own the road, I hope you find who did this and can get all damages paid for.

The car does look saveable, it has the sentimental value, if it means that much to you, fix it up and keep enjoying a great car!!!!
ws91420
I'm sorry but is has to be said "Did anyone get the number of that truck?"
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Aug 27 2008, 03:33 PM) *

Observations:
George, if Bob isn't a member here, encourage him to join us.

Without addressing insurance limits that Bob might have, I'd think that what looks to be a very nice 914 could be saved.

I hope that the low-life that perpetrated this can be caught; does Bob or the authorities have any hope of catching this scum?

Finally, given what coulda happened, Bob, you are one fortunate guy. Fix your 914 and immerse yourself in our shared mutual madness.

Paul

Geeze Us George, your friend is part Feline (9 lives). Bob's screen name could be 'RoadKill':

Click to view attachment

Tom
WOW! that is extreme. I sure hope the police get that guy soon and put him where he belongs.
Glad to hear you are OK. Fix the car. Then this will be another story behind this car.
By the way, that is a good looking car, you gotta fix it.
Tom
scotty
QUOTE(Tom @ Aug 27 2008, 08:00 PM) *

WOW! that is extreme. I sure hope the police get that guy soon and put him where he belongs.
Glad to hear you are OK. Fix the car. Then this will be another story behind this car.
By the way, that is a good looking car, you gotta fix it.
Tom

You said it, Tom.

That HAS to be meth related...I hope they catch that guy and put him away for a looong time. that's the type of thing that he'll brag about to someone somewhere who'll talk.
BMXerror
That ass needs to be charged with attempted murder and butt raped for the next 20-to-life! Glad Bob is okay. The scary part is, even in hind sight, there isn't really a damn thing you can do in that situation. Lucky man, for sure.
Silver lining: The 914 does look fixable, though. Maybe we should pitch in to make that happen. beerchug.gif
Mark D.
championgt1
Catch the guy and put him in front of a firing squad!! ar15.gif ar15.gif
Rick_Eberle
Scary stuff... glad to hear that you're OK.

This vid was made by a news crew doing a story about - of all things - dangerous truck drivers.

YouTube clip

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V1LM8TtSLZ0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V1LM8TtSLZ0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Dave_Darling
Amazing... I'm quite surprised by how relatively little damage there is to the car from all of that abuse. I would have thought it would be a lot more mangled than that.

--DD
kerensky
Oh. My. Gawd. More respect for our 914s - I'm always amazed at how well they stand up to this sort of thing.

George, tell Bob to get on here. There are a lot of talented people who would probably insist on helping him resurrect this precious part of his life. I know if a meteor crashed thru my garage and took out my 'teener, I'd do anything to fix it.

If we find this truck driver, I have relatives in GA who are in construction. I say he ends up in a floor slab.

As for crash safety, check out this poor Audi TT. Amazingly the guy was barely injured...

Story

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/03/19/video-a...andwiched-by-r/

Video

[url]http://break.com/index/truck-smashes-into-other-cars.html [/url]
orange914
my heart goes ut for you, keep us posted

mike
dw914er
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 27 2008, 11:15 PM) *

Amazing... I'm quite surprised by how relatively little damage there is to the car from all of that abuse. I would have thought it would be a lot more mangled than that.

--DD

yea, looks savable!!! YAY!!!!

glad he's ok, and george, get his butt on here. He'll find some help to fix back his car, and hunt down the truck driver.
Spoke
Thank god you're still here. Any number of really bad things could have happened including your car rolling or even being run over by the truck since it's so low to the ground.

This guy's genes need to be pulled out of the human gene pool NOW.
toon1
Glad you're Ok, what a terrifying ordeal.

Did the police ever catch the guy? One would think that is attempted murder!!??
scotty b
QUOTE(toon1 @ Aug 28 2008, 02:53 PM) *

Glad you're Ok, what a terrifying ordeal.

Did the police ever catch the guy? One would think that is attempted murder!!??

Attempted murder charge or not, In Va., had Bob been carrying a pistol he could have opend fire on the driver and it would have been justifiable homicide. Not to mention a benfit to humanity. Clearly he was in fear fr his life. Fortunately he and the car are ( relatively ) O.K. Yes that car can definitely be saved beer.gif I do however think his "conspiracy " theory is a bit of a stretch
sww914
I had a similar weird experience with a trucker but with a different conclusion.
I was pulling my racecar up the north side of The Grapevine towards Willow Springs Raceway. There was a truck with a semi-trailer in the middle of a line of trucks with trailers going 35 up the hill. I moved to the left lane to pass as my Dually with a built big block can go 75 up one side of The Grapevine and 75 down the other side, no problem. I used my turn signals, merged gently to the L Lane (2 lanes per side through there) and as I was passing the line of semis the trucker abruptly swerved into my path, so violently that his trailer swung out and nicked the center divider. I slowed way down to avoid his idiocy and he merged back into the same spot that he had been in before. I waited until we got to a steeper part of the hill, backed off and got it back up to 75 (the trucks were going like 25 or 30) and blew past the line of them. When I got up next to the maniac he blew his horn and swerved into my lane again as I was right next to him. I swerved as far left as I could until my trailer tires rubbed the center divider and I just managed to slip past him before he clipped my trailer. He sped up as we reached the next slight downhill section to try to catch me but I ran it up to 90-95 and he couldn't keep up.
I called the dipshits at the CHP and they were less than helpful, as usual. They only want to deal with easy stuff, the lazy bastards.
We escaped unscathed but with yet another unbelievable story to tell.
I need to write down all the crazy shit that has happened to me before I get too old and forget who I am and where I live and how to control my bodily functions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.