Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Flat towing an Accord with AT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
Could I flat tow a Honda Accord with automatic transmission a long distance without hurting it?

My concern is with the transmission, as I hear it can be hard on some ATs. Some companies sell accessories that circulate tranny fluid through the system while it's being towed to keep it from overheating, etc.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 27 2008, 10:20 AM) *

Could I flat tow a Honda Accord with automatic transmission a long distance without hurting it?

My concern is with the transmission, as I hear it can be hard on some ATs. Some companies sell accessories that circulate tranny fluid through the system while it's being towed to keep it from overheating, etc.

What's a long distance? Miles? Hundreds of miles?

Bottom line is... no, you shouldn't flat tow a Honda. Some automatic cars have transmission pumps that will be driven by the wheels turning, most don't. Honda don't.

If it's a one-time deal, you can leave the engine idling while you tow. Or, rent a dolly.

If it's behind an RV, you can get a Remco pump, or a manual transmission.
Rand
I want to tow it any distance without ever worrying about it. Cross country even.

I'd rather not modify the car, so I guess tow dolly is it eh?
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 27 2008, 11:09 AM) *

I want to tow it any distance without ever worrying about it. Cross country even.

I'd rather not modify the car, so I guess tow dolly is it eh?

I *think* that the pump is a reversible mod.

If you flat tow, yer gunna modify the car one way or another... hitch or tranny pump biggrin.gif
Rand
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Aug 27 2008, 12:25 PM) *

If you flat tow, yer gunna modify the car one way or another... hitch or tranny pump biggrin.gif

laugh.gif Ok, aside from towbar. tongue.gif
Was hoping to avoid the tranny pump. blink.gif
Guess I'll take a look at those though. Do you know what cost ballpark is on them?
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 27 2008, 11:29 AM) *

Do you know what cost ballpark is on them?

No, I just know that Remco is one brand.

You could also Google "tranny pump" biggrin.gif
r_towle
Must have a tranny pump for the fluid or when you get there the car wont move....

Look at Camper Inn or one of your local RV accessories store.
My father did this to his minvan...its pretty simple.

It required a hole/fitting in the drain pan and one in an upper fill plug...
Pump just runs the whole time your moving.

Also, look at the regulations...you need brakes on it also.
Its another independant system that applies the brake pedal using an electronic motor triggered by the tow vehicles brakes...its tunable and is really simple to set up...it just sits on the floor and is attached to the brake pedal.
Its required now in most states...
It has a fail safe so if you get unhooked from the toed the brakes go on full and stop the car.

By the time your done, a tow dolly looks appealing price wise.

Rich
messix
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Aug 27 2008, 12:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 27 2008, 11:29 AM) *

Do you know what cost ballpark is on them?

No, I just know that Remco is one brand.

You could also Google "tranny pump" biggrin.gif

ya might wanna make sure the kids aren't in the room when ya do that! happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.