Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: D tronic fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MZM
I need a little advice from the veterans on the board. Is there a rebuild service available for the three hose fuel injection pump? Asking price is $450 for a pump, and that is more than I paid for the car! If this is a no go, is there any reason not to use any other available FI pump, which cost less than $100?

Don't want to do something rookie-like here. Thanks.

Mike M
SLITS
Python Injection in Stanton, CA rebuilds them. Fuel Injection Corp in Sacramento?

Buy, the later ('75 - '76) single in/out pump ... there is no need for the three titty one.

or

Buy any roller pump that puts out sufficient pressure / volume .... the car doesn't care .... only Pat does.
type47
i don't know why one couldn't use any fuel pump that is capable of delivering the correct flow rate and pressure. does your pump leak or does the motor not turn? o-rings can be had and it's just an electric motor.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(MZM @ Aug 27 2008, 12:26 PM) *

I need a little advice from the veterans on the board. Is there a rebuild service available for the three hose fuel injection pump? Asking price is $450 for a pump, and that is more than I paid for the car! If this is a no go, is there any reason not to use any other available FI pump, which cost less than $100?

Don't want to do something rookie-like here. Thanks.

Mike M

plenty of the rebuilds in stock 185. We are getting brand new ones in about three months at 299.50 each!
MZM
Appreciate the replys. Now I know.

M
KELTY360
I've been buying a collection of used ones at $25 to $50 each. I installed the first one I bought 2.5 years ago and it's still working fine. There's 3 more sitting in a drawer when this one goes down. Probably have a total investment of $150 and when I bump into another one for sale I'll buy it too.
championgt1
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 27 2008, 12:37 PM) *

Python Injection in Stanton, CA rebuilds them. Fuel Injection Corp in Sacramento?

Buy, the later ('75 - '76) single in/out pump ... there is no need for the three titty one.

or

Buy any roller pump that puts out sufficient pressure / volume .... the car doesn't care .... only Pat does.

How does that work? Do you just run the return line back to the tank and not to the pump? Do the two ports on the pump take the feed line from the tank and the other port has the line that runs the fuel to the engine? Does this make any difference if the pump has been moved up front?

(sorry for the hijack)
SLITS
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Aug 27 2008, 07:53 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 27 2008, 12:37 PM) *

or

How does that work? Do you just run the return line back to the tank and not to the pump? Do the two ports on the pump take the feed line from the tank and the other port has the line that runs the fuel to the engine? Does this make any difference if the pump has been moved up front?

(sorry for the hijack)

The third tit on the stock pump was a pressure relief that was Teed into the return line from the fuel system pressure regulator .... so, you are correct .... you just join the line from the pressure regulator to the return to the tank.

If you move it up front, the same applys.

And an electric pump works best as a "pusher" not a "sucker" so mounting it below the tank, near the tank is a good idea .... flooded suction ya know.
championgt1
Great info. Thanks alot Ron! beerchug.gif
watsonrx13
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 27 2008, 08:48 PM) *

I've been buying a collection of used ones at $25 to $50 each. I installed the first one I bought 2.5 years ago and it's still working fine. There's 3 more sitting in a drawer when this one goes down. Probably have a total investment of $150 and when I bump into another one for sale I'll buy it too.

How are you storing these pumps? Do you do anything to clean the gas out before your store it?

-- Rob
KELTY360
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Aug 28 2008, 06:44 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 27 2008, 08:48 PM) *

How are you storing these pumps? Do you do anything to clean the gas out before your store it?

-- Rob

Haven't done much of anything except clean up the outsides and put them in a drawer in a heated garage. In all cases they came from swap meets and were reported to be working.

What would you suggest?
Demick
I've heard of people using this MSD pump:

MSD Pump from Summit

No experience with it myself.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
just received two brand new samples from two different suppliers in China and they look great. Even say "made in Germany" Those Chinese!!!!!!!! Exact Exact replicas though.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 28 2008, 12:14 PM) *

just received two brand new samples from two different suppliers in China and they look great. Even say "made in Germany" Those Chinese!!!!!!!! Exact Exact replicas though.

finger.gif China. I'm not spending my money on chinese made crap!
championgt1
Made in China with Made in Germany stamped on it?

That is bullshit!!! mad.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Aug 28 2008, 12:44 PM) *

Just pirate marketing .....
KELTY360
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 28 2008, 10:14 AM) *

Even say "made in Germany" Those Chinese!!!!!!!! Exact Exact replicas though.

Exact? Why am I skeptical? confused24.gif
BMartin914
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Aug 28 2008, 11:44 AM) *

Just like everything anymore. The new "OEM quality" ignition switches (crimped electrical portion - 911) are also being made over there with made in Germany stamped on them. First one I installed, the crimping came apart and the thing fell apart in my hand under the dash - 2 minutes out of the box.
Spoke
QUOTE(Demick @ Aug 28 2008, 12:26 PM) *

MSD Pump from Summit

I'm in need of a pump for my car and wouldn't mind buying a new pump that would fit. Besides this pump, what other OEM pumps would work? Maybe a VW pump?

Has anyone tried the above MSD pump?
vinorider
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 29 2008, 06:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Demick @ Aug 28 2008, 12:26 PM) *

MSD Pump from Summit

I'm in need of a pump for my car and wouldn't mind buying a new pump that would fit. Besides this pump, what other OEM pumps would work? Maybe a VW pump?

Has anyone tried the above MSD pump?

I just purchased one yesterday and I am going to try and install today. I will let you know.
r_towle
65 PSI is the rating.
I forget the GPH rating.

I went to a good parts store locally and we found a Delco unit that puts out the exact same specs as the 75/76 Bosch unit.
It was 140 buck retail.
Worked fine, one in one out setup like Slits said.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.