Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dino steering wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
I can't find any info on them. Can't find a website for the manufacturer either. I notice they tend to be much cheaper than, say, Momo wheels. Price isn't always an indicator of quality, though they do tend to be related...

What's the deal? confused24.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Aug 27 2008, 01:42 PM) *

I can't find any info on them. Can't find a website for the manufacturer either. I notice they tend to be much cheaper than, say, Momo wheels. Price isn't always an indicator of quality, though they do tend to be related...

What's the deal? confused24.gif

dino is hesitant about selling their wheels for some reason. One "girl" in Florida (according to our "Lady" Carrie) takes the orders and seems to only deal with old established accounts. Strange. We have them in stock though
Lavanaut
Interesting. Well, since you've handled them (I'm guessing), what's your take on their quality: construction, finish, meterials...?

Thanks
PeeGreen 914
I have a Dino and a few Momos. I think they are very similar really. My wheel has held up very well and I really do not know why they are so much less.
Zundfolge
I have one that I'm not using ... I prefer the stock wheel.

Its not a bad wheel, at least as good of quality as a Grant.
mack914-6
I have a 3 spoke Dino and I love it. It looks good, it's covered in leather and has a high level of quality in its construction. I bought it used on ebay and did so because of its looks and got a good deal on it in terms of cost.

Mack biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914
I'm running a Dino on my limited and I think it is a great wheel. Fits the hand nicely and looks good too. Well crafted.
VaccaRabite
I've got an older one, and I think its a great wheel.

Zach
Lavanaut
All very interesting, sounds like they're pretty nice wheels after all. Thanks for the input fellas.
GaroldShaffer
I wub.gif my Dino

VaccaRabite
The older Dinos use a 5 bolt pattern. Newer ones use a 6 bolt pattern (like Garolds).

I bought mine as it already had the adapter, horn ring, and Porsche horn button attached.

Zach
szuccaro
Bought mine new, years ago. I like it over the Momo wheel. Steve
HarveyH
On the car when I bought it. A litttle hard on the hands after a long drive, maybe I should try stringback driving gloves...

Harvey
VaccaRabite
Does anyone know when Dino went from 5 bolt to 6 bolt?

Mine is 5 bolt, and I'd love to know how old it is.

Zach
wertygrog
Another vote for the Dino! It's great, but since it is smaller than stock it will block your directional indicators and most of your speedo...
Lavanaut
Finally got mine in, the project got interrupted as I tried to resolve the steering slop I had going on. Got that fixed, got the wheel installed, and am very happy with the result. I like this wheel so much more than the Prototipo I had in my /4, there are finger "indentations" around the entire back surface and I feel much more confident w/ my grip than I did with the Proto.

I hate the horn button though, anyone know where to get a P-logo one for a Dino wheel? The ones you find everywhere for Momo wheels don't fit (ask me how I know dry.gif).

Need to clean the wheel up a bit, but here's a pic:

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
Nice. That's close to the one I have on my car. I like the feel of it.
72914S
I like the size of mine too. I`m sure that a momo type(w/Porsche crest) horn button will fit. In fact I saw some on e-bay for (buy it now) $14.95 with silver or gold trim.
jc914
I have had mine for 9 years and i must say it still looks and feels new
Shade Tree
Hope this isn't seen as a thread hi-jack....sorry if it is.
Does a Formula France wheel suck? I know they aren't cheap to buy. If you like them, I'd really like to trade one for a stock wheel.
charliew
I don't know if a momo porsche horn button will fit the dino wheel. Someone here might know for sure.
I got a really nice dino on ebay. It has leather also covering the spokes. It is very similiar in shape and size to the fitapaldi personal except it has 4 spokes instead of three. The grip diameter is slightly fatter though and it is a flat wheel were the fitapaldi is dished. The personal came with a aluminum hub for a different porsche and I have modified it to fit on the 914. It may be a nardi hub. It came with a porsche horn button. The button fits in the hub adapter, it has a raised ring that the porsche button snaps into. The adapter has both 6 hole patterns.
The porsche horn button also fits perfectly in the dino wheel. I have a momo button but I haven't tried to switch the momo and the porsche buttons. the momo button has a small metal piece that the button fits into instead of snapping into the wheel itself.
The adapter that the personal fits on will not mate up to the dino because of the raised ring for the porsche horn button but you could sand it off flush if thats the way you wanted to go. The dino button snaps into the wheel itself. I am trying to get the right length to add a quick disconnect for the wheel and the flat wheel seems to be easier to fit because the disconnect adds to the length of the hub adapter. The momo adapter that I have is pretty long so it probably won't work except by itself.
I have made a adapter out of a grant 3565 and a aluminum hub that adapts the grant to a momo/nardi 6 hole pattern. I had to cut the od down on the aluminum adapter to look right on the grant. It is the same od as the grant now and I epoxied the two together and filled the area between them with body filler and with the little grooves in it and painted semi gloss black, it looks like a short momo adapter. It's only 2 inches long and I think it will work ok with a quick disconnect and a dished personal. My hands are small and the smaller grip on the personal seems to fit me the best.
Slick914
I had the same Dino with a Porsche button, but not sure which one it was.

I recently bought this horn button on Ebay and it's worth the price. It also says it will fit Dino wheels...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-CRE...sQ5fAccessories

The Dino wheel in my previous 914...

IPB Image

72914S
Thats the button I saw on ebay. They also have it with gold trim.
Slick914
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jan 20 2009, 04:25 PM) *

I hate the horn button though, anyone know where to get a P-logo one for a Dino wheel? The ones you find everywhere for Momo wheels don't fit (ask me how I know dry.gif).

Is the horn hole something other than 2 inches?
wertygrog
My Dino is a little different than the others, so I'll post a picture.

I think it looks great and is definitely a quality unit!!! beerchug.gif
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Slick914 @ Jan 20 2009, 08:38 PM) *

The Dino wheel in my previous 914...

That's the same horn button that came with my wheel, but it was broken. I've been looking for the same one but haven't had any luck.

QUOTE(72914S @ Jan 20 2009, 08:43 PM) *

Thats the button I saw on ebay. They also have it with gold trim.

Are you sure? There are a TON of these buttons out there (authentic and knock-offs). Are you thinking of this one? confused24.gif

QUOTE(Slick914 @ Jan 20 2009, 08:47 PM) *

Is the horn hole something other than 2 inches?

Good question for a first date! As for my wheel I'll measure the opening tomorrow. Here's a picture (my site) of the authentic Momo button I bought that is too small for the opening. sad.gif
Slick914
The Luisi button you linked to is the exact same one I linked too, but Luisi charges more. The other seller has them in the silver crest as well.

I used the button on my Grant wheel... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1114767
PeeGreen 914
I have a Momo button with the Porsche crest that fits fine. I had to do something to make it fit perfectly but it looks good and just like that Dino button.
oldschool
QUOTE(szuccaro @ Aug 28 2008, 12:56 PM) *

Bought mine new, years ago. I like it over the Momo wheel. Steve

were can I get a hub for a victor or nadri
dw914er
I like the stock wheel lol

Lavanaut
QUOTE(oldschool @ Jan 20 2009, 11:05 PM) *

What year is your car? If it's a '73 + I have a spare hub that I think will work, here.
oldschool
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jan 21 2009, 09:10 AM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Jan 20 2009, 11:05 PM) *

What year is your car? If it's a '73 + I have a spare hub that I think will work, here.

its a 1973
Racing916
Hi I was wondering where you buy the adapter for the dino wheel to fit on a 914. My father has one on his 911 but we could not locate an adapter to fit on the 914, any suggestions?

thanks
steve
Lavanaut
I've got one for sale but there's someone in line before you who wants it...if that falls through I'll let you know. Otherwise, check eBay or google "Dino hub kit" (w/ quotes).
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Racing916 @ Jan 21 2009, 07:11 PM) *

Hi I was wondering where you buy the adapter for the dino wheel to fit on a 914. My father has one on his 911 but we could not locate an adapter to fit on the 914, any suggestions?

thanks
steve

If it is a 6 bolt hum Dino, I am almost certian that you can use the momo adapter. If it is a 5 bolt Dino, then you need to hope you can find what you are looking for via ebay, or something like that.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 22 2009, 10:40 AM) *

If it is a 6 bolt hum Dino, I am almost certian that you can use the momo adapter.

I thought so too Zach, but when I was searching for a Dino hub I kept coming across adapters that were described as allowing you to use a Dino wheel on a Momo hub (as though the two weren't plug'n'play compatible w/o it). confused24.gif I didn't look into though because I eventually found the Dino hub kit and just went that direction. Dunno.
charliew
The stuff that I have bought has two different 6 hole diameter sizes. I think one is 2-3/4 and the other is 2-7/8 but really mm. Momo is the smaller dia. and nardi and dino the larger dia. The nardi and momo use 5mm screws and the dino uses 6mm screws. Most of the new stuff has both diameters in the same hub but not the two different screw sizes always unless they say its for a dino. For instance a adapter could be for a momo to nardi but it wouldn't take a dino because the screws would be the small ones. You could tap the holes to the larger 6mm though. My problem is the different dish depths and trying to use a quick disconnect in the mix without being too close to the levers or to much in your face.

On the quality the dino I have is as good as any momo I have or as good as the fitapaldi I have.

Also the Dino and nardi have the screws two at the top and the momo has one at the center at the top. It gets a little tricky getting the turn canceller centered to work right unless you get the exact hub for your application.

Also somewhere someone said a 72 bug hub would fit a 75 914 but that is wrong. The column and shaft spline seems to be the same but the shaft is about a inch longer on the 914. The shaft bearing and sleeve is the same though.

Lavanaut was nice and sold me the dino hub he had for a good price. It fits the dino wheel I have except the wheel is flat and is too close to the levers. It's too bad it's a really nice dino with padded spokes and a carbon fiber center that holds the button. I have a personal that I just drilled and tapped the smaller holes to fit it although it will need a thin adapter that has a ring to hold the porsche button and for now I will go that way. I might try the disconnect I have but it doesn't use the large screws like the dino wheel.

If the hole in the wheel is too large for a porsche horn button the momo wheel I have (it's one of the momo's that has a wood rim and wood covered spokes) it uses a thin stamped metal ring that holds the momo or porsche horn button. My dino wheel will also hold a porsche horn button without the stamped ring although it's not quite as tight as the dino button.

I bought one of the 15.00 all plastic porsche buttons on ebay and the quality is nowhere near the momo quality. It even sticks when you press it.
charliew
I added some stuff to my previous post about the momo, nardi and the dino wheels and adapters I have been messing with. It can be a real mess if you try to make things work that you have laying around. Just bite the bullet and order the expensive hub you need rather than mixing and fitting stuff unless you're like me and think you can make anything work.

This all started when I needed a nice wheel for my son's 72 bug and I read where the bug and 914 were the same. Boy is that baloney. I ended up with three wheel combos for the bug and nothing ready to go for the 914. Luckily for me I have a yard full of bugs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.