Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT-You can't turbo a Porsch/VW motor, ha,ha
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TJB/914
Hi All,

Had a surprise when I went to pickup some of my 914 powder coated parts at Exotic Coatings in Romulus, MI. Exotic Coatings is owned by Joe Williams who's dad is my long time childhood friend. My good friend Fred started the business & turned it over to the son, but Fred is still in charge. They give me good prices & quality work because of our long time friendship. It's great to have friends in high places. popcorn[1].gif

Anyway, I didn't know they built this beautiful (4) passanger street buggy with a Turbo fired Type-1 motor. Because they own a powder coating shop you can see why it's a beauty. The motor was built by Pete, a local personal buddy of Fred (free) for some (free) powder coating on his street buggy. Joe told me they ran it at the Woodward Cruise at 10-lbs boast putting out about 350-hp. He said it will put out close to 400-hp with a boast of 13-14-lbs. My question, is this true hp or were they BSing me?? huh.gif

I'll get a ride in it sometime soon. Here's some photo's to drool over. It's a Type-1 motor so I'll only post a few pics. unless you want more. Speak up please.

Tom
DBCooper
Turboing isn't uncommon with the T1 motors. CB Performance (www.cbperformance.com, formerly Claude's Buggies) has sold turbo kits for years. Nobody who has a turbo motor seems to be able to resist turning up the boost, easy power is too seductive, so they do tend to pop the motors after a while. But unless you go crazy they work fine. A big well built 2332 turbo could easily do that horsepower. How long it will last depends on what's inside the engine and how well it was put together. No secrets, though, it's a T1.
TJB/914
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 27 2008, 04:39 PM) *

It's not at all uncommon with the T1 motors. CB Performance (www.cbperformance.com, formerly Claude's Buggies) has sold turbo kits for years. Nobody who has a turbo motor seems to be able to resist turning up the boost, the easy power is too seductive, so they do tend to pop the motors after a while. But unless you go crazy they work fine.

That's my understanding about boost. At 14 your living dangerous & the thrill of power is addictive.
Here's a few more pics.

T
TJB/914
Last of the pics. bye1.gif

T
Brett W
If they would get some proper fuel management on there it would last a lot longer.
jd74914
QUOTE(Brett W @ Aug 28 2008, 02:35 AM) *

If they would get some proper fuel management on there it would last a lot longer.

agree.gif Thats quite a bit of boost to run draw-through with. Real PEFI and a nice intercooler would really help that engine out.
ottox914
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 28 2008, 05:28 AM) *

agree.gif Thats quite a bit of boost to run draw-through with. Real PEFI and a nice intercooler would really help that engine out.

I was thinking the same thing- not that an engine that big with the right parts couldn't support that level of HP, but the draw thru carb system is 60's vintage stuff. Get some SDS on that thing ASAP! Still, highly cool ride, and I'd have it in my garage in a heartbeat.
r_towle
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Aug 28 2008, 10:16 AM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 28 2008, 05:28 AM) *

I was thinking the same thing- not that an engine that big with the right parts couldn't support that level of HP, but the draw thru carb system is 60's vintage stuff. Get some SDS on that thing ASAP! Still, highly cool ride, and I'd have it in my garage in a heartbeat.

Does someone make the intake plenums for a push through system, throttle bodies and all?

Rich
monkeyboy
CB Perfomance does.
Root_Werks
Driven a couple turbo Type 1's over the decades. Cool little set-ups. You can tell longevity might be an issue with so much crammed so tightly and air cooled to boot. Fun to drive though! driving.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 28 2008, 09:03 AM) *

Does someone make the intake plenums for a push through system, throttle bodies and all?

Rich

Speaking of CB Performance, if you want to see something really cool check this out: CB's New FI System

I've heard some general details, like the price is at or better than SDS but with lots more capability. Available in lots of flavors, from single to multiple throttle bodies, from NA to four sizes of turbo. And best, connect your motor to your laptop and then connect that all through the internet to the CBP tech's computer in California. He can see your engine running, analyze it, and help you with the setup and tuning. Very high-tech handholding. It's not T4, but not that far from it, and closer than most other systems that are intended for Hondas and such, need to be adapted to aircooled motors.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 28 2008, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 28 2008, 09:03 AM) *

Rich

Speaking of CB Performance, if you want to see something really cool check this out: CB's New FI System

I've heard some general details, like the price is at or better than SDS but with lots more capability. Available in lots of flavors, from single to multiple throttle bodies, from NA to four sizes of turbo. And best, connect your motor to your laptop and then connect that all through the internet to the CBP tech's computer in California. He can see your engine running, analyze it, and help you with the setup and tuning. Very high-tech handholding. It's not T4, but not that far from it, and closer than most other systems that are intended for Hondas and such, need to be adapted to aircooled motors.

A buddy of mine's shop just removed the CB Performance EFI from a customers car and installed carbs because it could not be tuned and would not run correctly. Hopefully, this is a next generation product you are talking about...
DBCooper
Yes, brand new. What you're talking about would certainly be the old system, which was a re-hacked GM with a manual analog tuning box, like the SDS. It was discontinued some time ago. No future.

I haven't seen the new one myself, but the Cal-Look guys are all ga-ga, converting away from big carbs.
Brando
I'm curious on draw-through... what's to stop the air and fuel from getting so hot that it starts to burn before passing the intake valves?
ottox914
The new CB looks to be worlds better than the old, but from the description is fuel only- no crank fired ignition control, so still behind the game a bit.
DBCooper
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Aug 28 2008, 04:40 PM) *

The new CB looks to be worlds better than the old, but from the description is fuel only- no crank fired ignition control, so still behind the game a bit.

True enough. I definitely like the remote tech assistance though. If you're going to sell aftermarket fuel injection systems that's gotta be a huge help.

Hey Dave, how did those Panasport wheels work out?
Jake Raby
The TI engine has some design benefits that makes it much more friendly to boost with less effort. Slowly we have addressed the TIV deficiencies and finally have combinations worked out that are effective.

I am currently designing a 2.4L intercooled, twin plug, FI engine for my Company Bus. (for towing)

I have two big turbo power plants to dyno in the next month, both should make north of 300 ponies, but neither are going into a 914 (one into a split window bus and the other into a rock crawler buggy) Both are FI and one is twin plugged.
Joe Bob
I have a 2180 TI with ITB, Megasquirt and a Schaffer Turbo. I just tore it down and rebuilt it. The rear main seal was abused by a four puck clutch disc...took the crank bearing and reulted in low idle oil pressure.

I should have it running next week......

ottox914
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 28 2008, 04:06 PM) *

QUOTE(ottox914 @ Aug 28 2008, 04:40 PM) *

True enough. I definitely like the remote tech assistance though. If you're going to sell aftermarket fuel injection systems that's gotta be a huge help.

Hey Dave, how did those Panasport wheels work out?

Love the Panasports. They look great on the car. Had a little leaking problem with them, but turned out to be the type of rim weight used to balance them. Have switched to stick on weights and no more slow leaks. Thanks for the great deal.

Here is the car, rims, and turbo parked in display mode in front of the GRM tent at Road America a month ago or so.
zig-n-zag
It looks to me he's got it somewhat detuned because of the fan belt and the 009 dizzy. He does have a big 4-bolt turbo and delta wastegate so maybe slap on a locked-out magneto and turn up the boost with VP c-16 and he'll see 400. A few years ago I saw a bolt on side draft throttle body using a stand alone system and thought that might be the way to go to modernize the draw through carb delivery. Less cost and less complexity if it could feed the fuel when off or on boost, just what a daily driven 914 needs. I think the Mallory box has a ignition retard......
Joe Bob
QUOTE(zig-n-zag @ Aug 28 2008, 08:24 PM) *

It looks to me he's got it somewhat detuned because of the fan belt and the 009 dizzy. He does have a big 4-bolt turbo and delta wastegate so maybe slap on a locked-out magneto and turn up the boost with VP c-16 and he'll see 400. A few years ago I saw a bolt on side draft throttle body using a stand alone system and thought that might be the way to go to modernize the draw through carb delivery. Less cost and less complexity if it could feed the fuel when off or on boost, just what a daily driven 914 needs. I think the Mallory box has a ignition retard......

Mine has a 009...but it's gutted and uses the Megasquirt to control advance and dwell.

IPB Image
DBCooper
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Aug 28 2008, 07:48 PM) *

Love the Panasports. They look great on the car. Had a little leaking problem with them, but turned out to be the type of rim weight used to balance them. Have switched to stick on weights and no more slow leaks. Thanks for the great deal.

Here is the car, rims, and turbo parked in display mode in front of the GRM tent at Road America a month ago or so.

Man, your car really looks fine. I'm glad the wheels found a good home. No, a great home.

One thing though Dave. I guess you haven't heard. You can't turbo a T4.

Speaking of sidedrafts and draw-throughs, here's my son's old turbo bug:

IPB Image

He did that when he was about 18 and he didn't let me know. He knew I didn't much like turbos so he did it out of spare parts when I wasn't looking. That exhaust was supposed to be temporary to get the engine running, but it threw out big flames that the kids thought were cool, so he left it on. They were 18, don't forget. It was cool, I guess, until one evening when a policeman pulled up closer behind him to see what the hell this kid had sticking out of his engine and was staring into the engine compartment trying to figure it out just what that was when it farted a fireball. The cop was not amused. Only gave him a fixit ticket, but that was the end of the turbo.
ottox914
[/quote]

[/quote]

Huh?
DBCooper
[quote name='ottox914' date='Aug 29 2008, 06:58 AM' post='1072900']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Huh?
[/quote]

Ah, so you really haven't heard, have you? Common knowledge, EVERYBODY knows.... biggrin.gif

I saw Mike Z claimed it, but I first heard that from Jake. Ironic that both of them now have turbo motors and posted in this thread....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.