Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gots me a new one
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sww914
Thanks to Markb for hooking me up with his old 914.
I love finally having a 914 that I can drive around. All these years I've only ever had a racecar. I've always wanted a 914 since I was about 15, I've had the racecar for 10 years now, but I've never had anything streetable until now.
With an injected 1.7 it certainly nowhere near as fast as I'm used to but I can't believe how much fun it is to roll around in an old NARP.
I'm looking forward to painting it. I'll try to put it off for awhile and Mark says he doesn't think I can go 3 months without jumping into it. I must admit that I was at my shop today thinking, well it wouldn't take me too long to bang out that dent in the fender and get it in primer. It's a slippery slope. biggrin.gif
r_towle
nice ride, bring it to Maaco get it back in three days...drive it.

Rich
Eric_Shea
bring it to Maaco get it back in three days

Oooooooooo... solid advice. blink.gif

Congrats Steve
sww914
Yeah, Maaco can do the whole thing for less than I can buy the materials for. I was kinda hoping to do a bit nicer job on it and have my boy help since it will be his car eventually. He's really good at the low parts, being a dwarf and all.
PeeGreen 914
If you do all the prep work the paint wouldn't come out too bad.... errr.. well, okay.

Nice addition. I would like to add a stock 914 to my collection but I know it would end up getting modified and costing more money. Maybe someday.
sww914
I guess that my point is that I've been doing autobody & paint work for 18 of the last 25 years, the other 7 were 1 as an insurance adjuster (sucked), 4 as a Porsche mechanic (fun, not enough money) and the last 2 years out on my own as a do-all Porsche whore heavy on the race prep (good so far).
roadster fan
smilie_pokal.gif I have had so much fun driving my 1.7 since I bought in Oct last year. As I build the hotrod, it is so cool just to drive a "regular" 914.

I hop in drive it to work, to the store, up the coast, around the block, whatever. Always brings a smile to my face, and someone always says something complimentary about the car.

It seems that every 13-16 year old that walks by the house when the garage door is open comments about the cool cars. I guess it is true that popular style comes back around every 20 years. I'm glad I caught it this time by:)

Enjoy the wheels!

Jim
dw914er
Steve, Nice car. Its fun having a cool street 914. If you ever want some help with it (and teach me a few more things on bodywork) let me know.
Spoke
Nice car. About the painting, just watch out for the "WIIT" (While I'm In There) syndrome. This is why I've just spot painted fenders and rust spots so far on mine. I know if I strip it down for a full paint job it will be a year or more before I drive it again.

I like working on my 914 but driving it is a lot more fun.
r_towle
This is exactly why I said bring it to Maaco...(fill in shop name here)
I did not know you were setup to do paint and body work though.

My point is try to resist the temptation to take the car apart and just get it cosmetically OK, not perfect, just something you can live with and DRIVE the car...

You will have time in a few years to restore it and then you can go hog wild.
BTW, if you wait for the 1.7 liter to die, rest assured it probably wont die.
Its a tank of a motor that lives and lives and lives.
I have been waiting for 8 years now and I autox it and drive it alot...still wont die...and still gets 32-35mpg...

The best part is that it starts every day and needs less real maintenance than my wifes volvo...

Rich
markb
Yup, I only give him 3 months before it's in paint. He's got the same bug that I have, and has the materials & knowhow to do it. I'm really glad he's enjoying the car. smile.gif
sww914
The "while I'm in there" will probably strike harder in the engine compartment. I have a 2056 race motor, a maybe 2.0 longblock coming, a 2.4 six in pieces and a 2.7 six in pieces, in addition to the bulletproof injected 1.7. I feel like I have five girlfriends at the same time and I can't choose between them. Each has +'s & -'s and most will cost money.
r_towle
QUOTE(sww914 @ Aug 28 2008, 12:35 PM) *

The "while I'm in there" will probably strike harder in the engine compartment. I have a 2056 race motor, a maybe 2.0 longblock coming, a 2.4 six in pieces and a 2.7 six in pieces, in addition to the bulletproof injected 1.7. I feel like I have five girlfriends at the same time and I can't choose between them. Each has +'s & -'s and most will cost money.

dont touch the motor...just drive and smile as you pass the gas station..
People are far more impressed with a 36 year old car that gets 32-35 mpg than a 36 year old car that puts out a wopping 120 hp.....
All you need is in the 1.7, and it sips gas.
Rich
Root_Werks
Black un-flared 914's are one of my fav's. wub.gif
sww914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 28 2008, 09:53 AM) *

QUOTE(sww914 @ Aug 28 2008, 12:35 PM) *

People are far more impressed with a 36 year old car that gets 32-35 mpg than a 36 year old car that puts out a wopping 120 hp.....
Rich

You're right too often. Stop it!
sww914
QUOTE(dw914er @ Aug 28 2008, 02:40 AM) *

Steve, Nice car. Its fun having a cool street 914. If you ever want some help with it (and teach me a few more things on bodywork) let me know.

Are you familiar with the term indentured servitude?
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Sleepin
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 28 2008, 10:53 AM) *

Rich

That is my thinking with the 1.8 L-Jet...I can cruise to RRC and back on one tank of gas....and hit 100mph an hour a few times while doing it.

Nice to see you finally have a driver Steve! Enjoy it, just remember it is a driver!
poke.gif
sww914
This one is the project, the $50.00 car. It's dead square and pretty rust-free, all things considered. My friend, bigD914-6GT and I will be caging it out this weekend.
He builds the most impressive cages I've ever seen. more pics to follow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.