Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transaxle Power Transfer Loss
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nick mironov
What is the % power loss for the 901?

Does anyone have data for engine flywheel HP and rear wheel horsepower for the same size engine? The difference would be the loss of power transfer.

Nick
sww914
I've heard 15% more than once. I have no facts to back it up, I'm repeating it as rumor.
r_towle
I agree, industry standard of power loss from flywheel to road wheel is typically guestimated at 15%

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(sww914 @ Aug 27 2008, 11:17 PM) *

I've heard 15% more than once. I have no facts to back it up, I'm repeating it as rumor.

agree.gif

same here, but no hard data to back it up ...
santa_smiley.gif Andy
nick mironov
Here is the dynamometer test for my 75 914 with an SBC 283. The tests were done this week at the Thunderhill dyno. At max rpm of about 6,250 the dynamometer showed a speed of 153 mph. On the track we got it up to about 125 mph. However, it threw a water pump belt a couple of times. I think that there is too much flex in the Renegade water pump mount, so I need to reinforce it.

At rear wheels: 263 ft-lb torque, 241 hp.
Engine: Assuming a 15% loss through the transmission, the engine would have about: 302 ft-lb torque, 277 hp.
Maybe more if the test was done on a motor dyno stand without water pump, alternator, and muffler.

Without air filter:
Click to view attachment

With and without air filter:
Click to view attachment

Nick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.