Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
finally switching my tired old 1.7 with FI, to a 2.0 with dual weber 40's . what is the best fuel pump to install. my old one is up front so i assume the new guy will go there.also what should i do with the old return line (is the old bolt and clamp method safe?) and where should the filter go? thanks as always in advance biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
lower capacity pump from cbperformance. appropriate ss tunnel line from chris folley. plug return line at the tank. replace all soft lines. mount pump firewall beneath front engine shelve. install filter prior to pump. make small harness to adapt pump power to stock fp harness. andy's jumper trick @ engine relay board to power pump via the relay and fuse provided.
i love porsche
richie!

good to hear from you...no advice here, but let me know when you need some help on your car
rmital
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Aug 29 2008, 11:25 AM) *

richie!
but let me know when you need some help on your car

...probably in the next week or two...the car will be at MovieTime and we'll be doing an engine swap. Hopefully during that time you could perform some of your welding magic on his longs.... welder.gif
i love porsche
let me know when, and ill do my best =]
r_towle
I would suggest that you get a high quality carb pump from holley or others (CBperformance) and an adjustable regulator to keep the pressure in the range of 2-3 psi.

I would prefer to mount my fuel pump under the passenger side engine shelf in the stock location because low pressure pumps dont like to pull fuel up hill. they can push uphill alot better.

Put the regulator in the engine bay so you can adjust it easily along with a fuel pressure gauge inline.

Its not required to close off the return line and some/many people actually use the return line. The idea is to allow the unspent fuel to return to the tank thus keeping a fresh supply of cooler fuel at the ready for the carbs...
Cooler fuel means better combustion.

Rich
Spoke
If your old FI pump is on the market, let me be the first in line for it. I need a non-leaking FI fuel pump. Already got 2 leaking ones.
nycchef
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 29 2008, 07:40 AM) *

I would suggest that you get a high quality carb pump from holley or others (CBperformance) and an adjustable regulator to keep the pressure in the range of 2-3 psi.

I would prefer to mount my fuel pump under the passenger side engine shelf in the stock location because low pressure pumps dont like to pull fuel up hill. they can push uphill alot better.

Put the regulator in the engine bay so you can adjust it easily along with a fuel pressure gauge inline.

Its not required to close off the return line and some/many people actually use the return line. The idea is to allow the unspent fuel to return to the tank thus keeping a fresh supply of cooler fuel at the ready for the carbs...
Cooler fuel means better combustion.

Rich

which pump do you recommend. cb performance has a 2-3 psi and a 5+ psi if i remember correctly. both are rotary pumps. also is there a diagram of how to connect the return line from the carbs.?
rich you still want the tub?
spokes i have 2 working fuel pumps. i will be getting rid of the entire 1.7 system including the engine if i don't screw up the 2.0 install.
rhodyguy
2-3. while retaining the return line might be helpful, i've only experienced what i would consider a 'hot fuel' issue on a very limited basis and only when the car has sat in extremely warm weather. the duration was what i would consider brief at most. during the restart. keeping the fuel line isolated/away/off of the tin proved beneficial.
rhodyguy
2-3. while retaining the return line might be helpful, i've only experienced what i would consider a 'hot fuel' issue on a very limited basis and only when the car has sat in extremely warm weather. the duration was what i would consider brief at most. during the restart. keeping the fuel line isolated/away/off of the tin proved beneficial.
r_towle
2-3 PSI.
Carbs never need more than that. Any more Fuel pressure and you will see the carb start spitting fuel out...
I think the last time I did carbs I went to AutoZone and bought whatever I found...by that statement I mean...I dont really care who makes it....its a simple electronic pump...
To me, being able to find one on sunday is better than the name on the side of the pump...

The regulator is a different story for me...high quality, easy to set, and leak free. Order that, get one from Summit or a local race shop. Get a really good one.

Rich
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 30 2008, 08:54 AM) *

2-3 PSI.
Carbs never need more than that. Any more Fuel pressure and you will see the carb start spitting fuel out...
I think the last time I did carbs I went to AutoZone and bought whatever I found...by that statement I mean...I dont really care who makes it....its a simple electronic pump...
To me, being able to find one on sunday is better than the name on the side of the pump...

The regulator is a different story for me...high quality, easy to set, and leak free. Order that, get one from Summit or a local race shop. Get a really good one.

Rich

Thanks for the great responses guys. I'm also about to install( or attempt to install) Weber 40's on a car today also. This info has been very helpful.
nycchef
Thanks for the great responses guys. I'm also about to install( or attempt to install) Weber 40's on a car today also. This info has been very helpful.
[/quote]

are you using s regulator? pay close attention to what you do. post pics, make diagrams i will be asking you a lot of ? real soon

here is the first one... is the fuel regulator from the d-jet usable on carbs? i have 3 of them
rich
rmital
...forget about fuel regulators...what's on the menu tomorrow...? jsharp.gif
r_towle
[quote name='nycchef' date='Aug 30 2008, 11:36 AM' post='1073298']
[/quote]

here is the first one... is the fuel regulator from the d-jet usable on carbs? i have 3 of them
rich
[/quote]
Nothing from the FI fuel pump nor regulator can be used on carbs.
FI pump puts out 65 PSI.
FI regulator drops is down to 28-32 and car go to 40.

Carbs Fuel pump is 1.5-3 PSI.
Carb regulator is 1.5-8 PSI normally. (in that range)

the carbs regulator cannot handle 65 PSI input..it will leak right away and become a boat anchor in seconds.

the FI regulator will not go down low enough for carbs and then you will shoot fuel out the carbs all over the motor...

You need to buy two cheap items.
An elec fuel pump, and a regulator.

Rich
nycchef
[

Rich
[/quote]

cb performance regulator is $81.00 pump is only $53.00 will look for a cheaper regulator.
hot_shoe914
[quote name='nycchef' date='Aug 30 2008, 03:08 PM' post='1073356']
[

Rich
[/quote]

cb performance regulator is $81.00 pump is only $53.00 will look for a cheaper regulator.
[/quote]

You can buy a fuel pump cheaper. I priced one today at a foreign car parts store for 35.00
nycchef

You can buy a fuel pump cheaper. I priced one today at a foreign car parts store for 35.00
[/quote]
what brand of regulator should i buy. ? summit seems to only carry bigger ones min. 4 /12 to 9 psi
nycchef
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(rmital @ Aug 30 2008, 09:36 AM) *

...forget about fuel regulators...what's on the menu tomorrow...? jsharp.gif

jesus ray

pulled pork sandwiches, baby back ribs, chicken , burgers, hot dogs,coleslaw, tomato salad, picked turnips, fresh corn the usual chowtime.gif

why are actually going to venture out of your neighborhood?

now back to business. will this regulator work with a cbperformancse 3 1/2psi pump. i am also concerned about the 3/8" threaded female inlet and outlet attachments. like where do a get the male equivalent of the damned things

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku
rmital
....see you for lunch...I'll let you enjoy your morning coffee alone.
nycchef
so here is the setup i am thinking of going with
dual weber 40 idf's
3/ 1/2 psi pump from cb performance

holley regulator
just not sure which adaptor fitting and fuel line size to get

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=577

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku
rhodyguy
borrow a fuel pressure gage to verify the pressure for the cb pump and be done with it. why waste the $ on a reg AND gauge?

btw, the cb pump will come with a small metal canister attached to it via a small piece of hose and 2 permenant clamps. it's a filter. i ditched it. if you want to use it, i'd replace the 2 permenant clamps with the shouldered versions used with the stock fi system.
nycchef
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 1 2008, 07:02 AM) *

borrow a fuel pressure gage to verify the pressure for the cb pump and be done with it. why waste the $ on a reg AND gauge?

btw, the cb pump will come with a small metal canister attached to it via a small piece of hose and 2 permenant clamps. it's a filter. i ditched it. if you want to use it, i'd replace the 2 permenant clamps with the shouldered versions used with the stock fi system.

i have a guage. but i was concerned that the 3 1/2 psi out of the cb pump will be too much. some posts said preesure needs to be around 2psi or i will spit gas out of the carbs. Geez you're up early thanks
rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.