Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to 914 World
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Hey guys what going on!? I'm currently working on my first car, a 70' 914 2.0, so I thought I would join this site to get into the scene.

Tried going on another site, but I think it's dead, atleast the thread for 914's is.
toon1
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
RiqueMar
Hahahaha, right on.

Luckily, I have them on hand from when I joined that other place, give me 2 minutes.
SirAndy
welcome.png

There's quite a few guys down in the SD area.
bye1.gif Andy
RiqueMar
The car was a Cali car that my Dad found on eBay (I'm 19) it was near Agoura Hills. Originally it was Canary Yellow, but I put a stop to that madness quite quickly and took it down to bare metal.

Give me a few more minutes, last week, my flares came in, and I just finished putting them on, I'll post those in a sec...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Oh, here's some others. The car had an AC unit that someone put in, so we took a floor from a 76 that was already cut in half and on it''s way to the yard, stitched welded it in, and sprayed rubberized undercoating throguhout the front.

Also, my flares before we put them on....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

SirAndy
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Aug 28 2008, 02:46 PM) *

Originally it was Canary Yellow

Looks Irish Green to me. confused24.gif

You went a bit overboard with the coating ...
biggrin.gif Andy

RiqueMar
I'm sorry, I didn't specify. Yes, it was green originally, when I got it, it was Canary Yellow.......about 3 layers of canary yellow.

Also, I went heavy on the undercoating to um....hide the welds. Plus, I'm informed the Rubberized coating not only protects, but also acts well for noise dampening.
RiqueMar
The car before, and during the installation of the flares.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
This is the car as of a few days ago. Last weekend, I took some reinforced doors and slapped them on, and they fit great, pictures of the to come later tonight.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Gint
welcome.png
PeeGreen 914
welcome.png aktion035.gif Looks like you have done a good deal of work on it already. Looking forward to seeing this car complete, piratenanner.gif
orange914
welcome.png great to see the progress smile.gif
ArtechnikA
Welcome!
I lived in San Diego for about 20 years...

You get extra points for knowing how to spell 'flare.'
So.Cal.914
welcome.png

Keep up the Good work.
roadster fan
welcome.png

Keep up the good work, get it done by next summer, and bring it to The West Coast Ramble 2009!

Jim

Gustl
welcome.png ... from far, far away biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif Gustl
SGB
NICE! You've got the whole sickness!

welcome to the party. smile.gif
AJB
welcome.png
Welcome from far away - but not quite as far as Gustl (unless you go the other way round.....)
rick 918-S
welcome.png keep going sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
Lou W
welcome.png what color are you going with? Irish green is cool. beerchug.gif
RiqueMar
Much to the discouragement of my Dad, I'm going black. He's been trying to talk me out of it for months, but I can't take him seriously as he has both a black 328 and 355. For a long while, it was between black or a dark (Arthrasite?) Grey, but I hardly ever see any black GT's, so that is even more motivation.

The first picture is of the holes to mount the chrome, I don't much care for the chrome, so I covered those up and they'll be painted.

The second picture is of the other day. I added some reinforced doors off of a 76'. Though, the passenger side door was quite rusted, so I'm thinking of just making the drivers side reinforced, any thoughts?

Also, please check out the last picture. I want to make sure all my gaps are correct, so I took a picture of the gap on the drivers side door and it's about the width of a key, does this seem about right?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Finally some more pictures of my project. As I mentioned in another post in the Garage, I found out my car was originally a 6, as I found a corresponding number in the trunk, which, I'm told was only on 6's.

This last week, I've ordered Alumi-lite, which is like bondo, but it is metal based. Most of the application is done to the seems and the under sides of the flares, and it is now ready for Bond-O.

Comments Welcome and, quite frankly, needed, as this is my first project car.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Gustl
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Aug 29 2008, 07:29 PM) *

... but I hardly ever see any black GT's, so that is even more motivation.

this is a 1970/71 photo - so, period correct

Click to view attachment

and I guess everyone knows this one ...

Click to view attachment

not to mention the black 916 ...

but - black is beauty wub.gif

bye1.gif Gustl
LarryR
nice work so far. My factory black 72 will some day have 916 flares too.

welcome.png
Larry
So.Cal.914
but I hardly ever see any black GT's, so that is even more motivation.

Stick around, you will plenty of them, that and silver. sad.gif No offence Fella's...
McMark
agree.gif You'll see far fewer Irish Green GTs. As I read the first few posts I thought, "I bet this is another black project." Your interior is Irish Green, which is probably the original color. That'd be my choice, since you asked. wink.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 6 2008, 10:52 AM) *

agree.gif You'll see far fewer Irish Green GTs. As I read the first few posts I thought, "I bet this is another black project." Your interior is Irish Green, which is probably the original color. That'd be my choice, since you asked. wink.gif

I really like that Green (it is the orig) as well as a dark Grey, and I have seen a few Black GT's, just not as many as others.

Any input on that picture with they key? How does that gap look?
So.Cal.914
I went out and measured mine. 5/32" both gaps (front and rear) and both sides.
McMark

Massive. wink.gif But if the complete front end was replaced, then the front edge of the door should be unaffected. The door mount is on the front fender area. A 'frankenstein' car like yours usually has bad door gaps at the rear. Perhaps the welding work history is more complex than initially thought. Perhaps that fender was replaced at some point and welded too far forward.
r_towle
cool project...

Rich
jd74914
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 6 2008, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 6 2008, 10:52 AM) *

I really like that Green (it is the orig) as well as a dark Grey, and I have seen a few Black GT's, just not as many as others.

Nice work so far. smile.gif

PS: Irish green is the way to go . . .

seanery
Welcome! You're project looks great so far.

I think a dark gray metallic GT would be totally bitchin' so my vote goes Anthracite biggrin.gif
RiqueMar
Finally an update!

Found a dashboard from a Six, so I took of that old Four one yesterday. Today, I'm painting the new one and mounting it, as well as doing the headlights.

We also bought a mini-lift, so my project will be alot easier now.

Sidenote: Here are some pictures of my Dad's project as well as the dash before...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.